Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and have been wanting a 1911 in 9mm for a while. So....after many hours of research, You Tube videos, magazine articles, etc...I keep coming back the the Taurus 1911 9mm. Now, my only question is which version do I go with...Blue or Stainless??

Anyone have any feelings either way?

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
251 Posts
I went with blue when I got mine a couple weeks ago. But all my firearms have the same finish so I'm kinda partial to it. I do believe that my next Taurus will probably be stainless to keep away from constant touch-ups to the wear on the blue finish

·
Registered
24,604 Posts
MN Trooper
The one thing about blued guns from Taurus is that the matte finish is very much subject to wear and tear. I have three of them. Matte blue, high polish deep blue, and stainless. The matte blue gun showed rub thru right away. This can be touched up with Birchwood Casey deep blue but you will be doing this often. Finish is always the owners choice so no recommendation here. My personal favorite is my stainless
kruizer

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Just don't think that if you buy stainless then it won't rust. They both need protection, it's just that blued steel needs a bit more effort. That being said, I use Eezox and can't spread the word enough about it. I love both blued steel and stainless steel guns. I use Brownells Oxpho bluing cream if I need to touch up blued steel and I used Mother's mag and aluminum polish on stainless to polish and 3M scotchbright green pads to bring back a brushed finish on stainless. I don't think you can really go wrong with either one as long as you take care of them but will give the nod to stainless for easier than blued steel.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Even my stainless 945 gets a tiny piece of rust on it from time to time during the summer months from the humidity of sweating with it tucked away next to my body. It's a really small speck under the left side of the safety, almost unnoticeable, but it's there. Stainless steel is only as strong as the amount of chromium worked into it. Eventually, you're going to run into a bit of surface rust, the key is just taking care of it ASAP. The longer it sits there, the more damage it does.

·
Registered
36,310 Posts
I am new to the forum and have been wanting a 1911 in 9mm for a while. So....after many hours of research, You Tube videos, magazine articles, etc...I keep coming back the the Taurus 1911 9mm. Now, my only question is which version do I go with...Blue or Stainless??
Anyone have any feelings either way?
Thanks!
Chris

Gosh my feelings are i like all the Taurus finishes!
the three picture is the Pt1911 AL (aluminum frame)
the Pt1911 -B (Blue)
the Pt1911 DT (duo-tone- stainless slide and blue frame)
and the single picture is the Pt1911 SS (Stainless)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was in the exact same position as you for the past 8 months or so. About 2 months ago I had it narrowed down to the PT1911 and the RIA 1911, both in 9mm. After a good week of holding them both and a few sleepless nights I decided on the PT1911 in blue and didnt look back. I now have it in my ownership and am totally pleased with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have read that "aftermarket" grips need to sometimes be altered to fit a 1911 with the Ambi Safety...and that the grip screws need to be altered a little...I like the look of the wood Hogue grips...thanks for the link!

·
Registered
251 Posts
A few companies make "Taurus" specific grips that need no modifications to fit properly

·
Registered
36,310 Posts
I have read that "aftermarket" grips need to sometimes be altered to fit a 1911 with the Ambi Safety...and that the grip screws need to be altered a little...I like the look of the wood Hogue grips...thanks for the link!
yes sir!
the Taurus PT1911 has a swenson type ambi safety, its actually the most common, but yes you need to oder a grip panel with the ambi cut or cut it yourself when you get the grips, also there is is just a very slight difference in the Taurus frame and the Colt type frame and so the grips offset a tad if not cut for the Taurus, many people never notice this as its so slight.
Look closely at the stainless and you will note a slight offset rearward from the front edge of the grip frame, these are Colt grips!
the grip screw heads on the Taurus are also larger diameter, so again if not Taurus specific then the holes need To be enlarged or simply get Colt screws and use them.
all and all its not that bad regardless of grip type.
Raasco has an excellent grip and makes Taurus specific grips in about 100 or more different styles and colors.
All the grips in the pictures that are wooden(composite) are raasco.

·
Registered
36,310 Posts
I love the look of the duo-tone. Always thought more compaies should make more guns like that.
Yep! ME too!
the best looking duo-tone that i have laid eyes on was a Springfield Armory 1911.
the Taurus duo-tones are still by far the hardest to find in my area.
How about a reverse duo-tone?-LOL

Attachments

Reactions: Mrs.Lefty13
1 - 14 of 14 Posts