Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I done it again, I started off with a Taurus 1911 in Stainless. I took it to the range and it ran Flawlessly, Fired Great and after reading on here about the sights I was dead on. The other day I ran across another 9mm 1911 for sale or trade locally. With all the Luck I had with the first one I decided to get the second one. I am hoping to get to the range here shortly with the second one.

Pics and range report to come later.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Congrats!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congratulations on adding another fine PT1911 to your arsenal!

I'll look forward to seeing the pics of your guns.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Had them both and my pt111 at the range today,(100 rounds total) Shoot the Blued one the most because it was newer to me, I will say there us some minor issues with the blue I dont't have on the stainless.

Let me state that both of these are used and round count on either 1911 is unkown

1) the McGregor and wilson mags have to be pulled out the blued 1911, they slide out of the stainless with there own weight factory mags fall out great.
2) with the wilson mag the blue one doesn't lock back after the last round the stainless did with the same mag. This was several times.
3) grouping was comparable out of both,
4) the blue slide has some extra clearance towards the hammer and will rattle if shaken, the stainless has.some play but will not rattle of shaken. ( I might call CS on this)

If I could only keep one of them, it would be the stainless hands down and without a doubt. to me the stainless seems to be alot better built. Thankfully I will not have to make that decision!!

Pics later.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
interesting, i have not seen a single PT1911 in 9 mm "used" for sale in these parts!
the mag issue not releasing is obviously the pistol!
look and see if there is any unusual wear on the magazines, such as where the grip screws may be protruding into the mag well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
interesting, i have not seen a single PT1911 in 9 mm "used" for sale in these parts!
the mag issue not releasing is obviously the pistol!
look and see if there is any unusual wear on the magazines, such as where the grip screws may be protruding into the mag well.
I breifly looked last night, didn't see any screws protruding, it is catching mostly in the top 1/4 of the mag. A through cleaning should help me find it.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As promised here are the pictures,

Bottom Pic
Taurus Blue
Taurus Stainless
Firestorm 45acp
LLama 9mm

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Welcome from Rhode Island to the most informative and friendly gun site on the web. :guns:

Great looking guns ... good luck.

Try backing out the grip screws to see if the mag will drop. I had over-tightened two of mine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice line up of 1911's you've got there

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Welcome from Rhode Island to the most informative and friendly gun site on the web. :guns:

Great looking guns ... good luck.

Try backing out the grip screws to see if the mag will drop. I had over-tightened two of mine.
Especially if you have changed grips on a 1911, all the grips don't have the same depth of recess for the screws to fit below flush, so on some grips the screws can be screwed in to far (deep), add to this that Taurus has those odd ball sized heads on thier screws and amny times people drill out the holes on replacement grips to make them fit, thereby getting them deeper.
I just keep an extra set of Colt screws on hand to fix this if I need to.
Hell one of these days i am going to get the parts box down and just build me a Frankenstein 1911 out of the odd parts I got laying around!-LOL
Nice group of 1911's by the way.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Especially if you have changed grips on a 1911, all the grips don't have the same depth of recess for the screws to fit below flush, so on some grips the screws can be screwed in to far (deep), add to this that Taurus has those odd ball sized heads on thier screws and amny times people drill out the holes on replacement grips to make them fit, thereby getting them deeper.
I just keep an extra set of Colt screws on hand to fix this if I need to.
Hell one of these days i am going to get the parts box down and just build me a Frankenstein 1911 out of the odd parts I got laying around!-LOL
Nice group of 1911's by the way.
Will be looking forward to the pic's of Frank once you are done :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok it is diffently not the grips screws. I am thinking may some how they double finished the inside of the magwell. The after market mags are tight from the mag release up. The factory ones are fine. The same mags inn the other 1911 work great.

is the double finish possible? Or do I needs to look for anything else?

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Ok it is diffently not the grips screws. I am thinking may some how they double finished the inside of the magwell. The after market mags are tight from the mag release up. The factory ones are fine. The same mags inn the other 1911 work great.

is the double finish possible? Or do I needs to look for anything else?
well anything is possible!
look at the magazine unloaded and then load it full and look to see if it bulges out when loaded.I have seen this with cheap 1911 mags!
also is there any difference in the trigger pull (unloaded pistol of course) when the problem mags are inserted into the gun and filled?
the magazine on a 1911 travels through the center of the trigger (trigger bow) and its possible for them to bind from either the trigger bow being slightly out of shape or the mag binding on the trigger bow, I ahve only seen this on one occasion.
can you try a stainless steel magazine in the problem pistol? this would eliminate the blueing hanging up.
maybe some one else can add a few ideas to what to look for.
I would suggest the magazine release but you noted I think that it happens at the top end of the mag well?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well anything is possible!
look at the magazine unloaded and then load it full and look to see if it bulges out when loaded.I have seen this with cheap 1911 mags!
also is there any difference in the trigger pull (unloaded pistol of course) when the problem mags are inserted into the gun and filled?
the magazine on a 1911 travels through the center of the trigger (trigger bow) and its possible for them to bind from either the trigger bow being slightly out of shape or the mag binding on the trigger bow, I ahve only seen this on one occasion.
can you try a stainless steel magazine in the problem pistol? this would eliminate the blueing hanging up.
maybe some one else can add a few ideas to what to look for.
I would suggest the magazine release but you noted I think that it happens at the top end of the mag well?
the Factory mags have no issue they are fine, the Aftermarket wilson and Mcgregor are the ones that have the problem and this is with empty mags. looking down through the chamber as the mag is sliding in. it appears the to be catching on the sides. I can take the same Mag and put it in the stainless model and and it go in freely and drops out with the release pressed.

I am confused as to why it works on one of them (stainless) but will not work on the other one. (Blue)

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
the Factory mags have no issue they are fine, the Aftermarket wilson and Mcgregor are the ones that have the problem and this is with empty mags. looking down through the chamber as the mag is sliding in. it appears the to be catching on the sides. I can take the same Mag and put it in the stainless model and and it go in freely and drops out with the release pressed.

I am confused as to why it works on one of them (stainless) but will not work on the other one. (Blue)
UHH, GOT MILK??
I mean got calipers??
take a measurement of the thickness of the different magazines.
likley all will differ a bit with a set of calipers/microes, but you can likely see a difference in the one(s) that drag.
thats all i got left for you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts