Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
pt1911 9mm vs pt 1911 45

I'm sorry if this was asked before but i must not know how to use the search because i couldn't find anything. I'm thinking of getting the 1911 in 9mm,mainly because i have all 9mm in safe and also cheaper to shoot. those of you who have both,do both calibers function the same? or should i get a 45 and have another caliber of ammo to stock up on. i already got 9mm. your thoughts? and my next question is if you want to work on it and change safety or trigger or hammer or what ever else are the parts the same as the 45 ? i know the barrel and mags or different. if i want to customize,how hard to get parts for 9mm? and last is do 1911 9mm magazines from other brands or makers fit in the taurus like the 1911 45's do? thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have three 1911's, two of them in 9mm. The 9s are incredibly soft shooters and accurate as you will want. Great fun to shoot, and cheaper to operate than the .45.

They are built and function just like their .45ACP siblings, except for the barrel, feed ramp and magazines, and recoil springs are often a different weight than in a .45.

The other componants are pretty much the same across calibers. Some brands use componants that are not universal (for instance grips on the Taurus require a special cut) , and you will have to find parts specific to those brands, but for the most part things will be interchangeable.

Not familiar with the Taurus 9mm, mine are Rock Island Armory, but magazines tend to be universal in the 1911.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
If your other handguns are all 9mm, then it would seem reasonable to purchase the 1911 in 9mm so you wouldn't have to invest in another caliber or ammo;...but...the .45 ACP PT1911 is one extremely fine handgun that is exhilarating to shoot (and it would make a bigger hole in a BG should you ever have to use it for self-defense.)

Either way, you have a "win-win" situation! :guns:

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
All in all, a 1911 is a 1911, so many of the parts can be interchangable aside from caliber specific parts as mentioned above. If you're worried about certain things fitting properly like grips and hammers, look for items that list Taurus in their compatability list. Other than that, have fun shooting it, even if all 1911's should be chambered in. 45 ACP or at worst. 38 Super IMO.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a 9mm 1911 too. I already have one in .45 and another in lay-away but I love to shoot 9mm.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone,I'm off in an hour to see what i can get I'm leaning towards the 9mm but 45 is still not out of the question. guess we will see what i come home with. my luck they will be sold out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a Springfield Armory 1911A1 in 9 mm. years ago and I cant forgive myself selling that one. I had the same pistol for a repair and a tune up few months ago an shot a couple of mags throug it and I simply loved it. The 1911 is one of the most fun 9mm to shoot, soft, easy and accurate.
I have also shot Colt 1911 in 9mm and 45 side by side and really have a hard time decide which one I liked better. And actually I did not feel that much diference in recoil. (The 9 felt a little bit quicker maybe if you know what I mean)
Except for the slide, barrel, mag and shorter ejector those are usually the same.
I have not tryed but i´m almost sure the 45 parts would fit the 9 mm frame in most cases.
For punching paper and tatget shooting I would take the 9 as it´s by far cheeper to shoot.

·
Registered
36,465 Posts
as has pretty much been answered basic parts are the same but some parts are caliber specific, barrels, Extractors, barrel bushings, magazines, recoil springs.
I don't do 9 mm in the 1911 , but i do the 38 super in the 1911 and throughly enjoy shooting the thing!
now some may say well the 38 Super is a 9 mm!
well yea but the 38 super is one of the original calibers of the 1911, and its got more energy than the 45 acp while being milder to shoot.
If you like the 9 mm you will throughly love it in a 1911 platform.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Thanks for planting this in my mind.........:cool:

Reactions: Ingvarg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for planting this in my mind.........:cool:
Haha !!! You are welcome................

Go for it !! ;) You wont be disappointed. :guns:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have it in a 9mm and you won't regret it. Other brands of 9mm magazines should fit in it as well. Lastly, finding parts to customize your pt1911 9mm should not be too hard to find. You can always check with your local gunsmith if you are unsure.

·
Registered
36,465 Posts
Does anyone know if Taurus is going to build a sub compact or compact 1911?
YES, YES Indeed they are!
They are scheduled for release right after the extended magazines hit the market for the 738 & 709 pistols!
If you are sitting aund waiting for what Taurus MIGHT release you better get some no-doze cause it may be a very long wait!
better to enjoy what they got on the market now.-LOL
With Taurus reducing their offerings I would think they will get rid of several items, then evaluate what the general shooting public wants and will buy and then begin design/production.
No doubt a commander and officers size would be a sales piece,especailly at Taurus prices.
But man oh man, with the problems that some people have with a full sized 1911 the smaller ones will give repair in Miami fits!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts