Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,695 Posts
Not really surprising I guess since they chamber the full-sized 1911 in 9mm. Bet we never see a Commander-sized .38 Super.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Also make them with lightweight alloy frames, if the weight is the same as a government model kinda defeats the purpose.
Not only that but provide 2 mags or atleast price the mags as cheap or cheaper than the 45's.

Reactions: Trotline

·
Registered
36,277 Posts

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
Not really surprising I guess since they chamber the full-sized 1911 in 9mm. Bet we never see a Commander-sized .38 Super.
I doubt it from the Bull Company as they have discontinued all 38 Supers into AMERICA.
I still got my eye on a Dan Wesson Commander alloy frame in 38 Super however--SWEEEEETTTT!

Reactions: oso

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
Also make them with lightweight alloy frames, if the weight is the same as a government model kinda defeats the purpose.
EXACTLY!!!
IN my opinion the best thing Taurus had going in the 1911 line was an excellent aluminum alloy frame and they discontinued that!
everybody has a like/dislike but for me a flat single stack 1911 with a alloy frame and in 38 Super is about as good as that platform gets in a carry 1911.
More capacity than the 45 acp, more energy than the 45 acp, less recoil than the 45 acp and less weight with a loaded mag.

Reactions: Trotline and oso

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
To the .38 super lovers of the 1911 platform; respectfully indulge my ignorance.

Due to the dearth of semi rimmed .38 super brass in most areas, and possible inherent problems associated with it, what's it advantage over the 9 mm parababellum on the 1911 platform?

...since technology has brought us some factory 9mm loads in the 1,350 fps. + range.

Would you say it's greatly misunderstood, sort of like the .41 magnum is?

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
To the .38 super lovers of the 1911 platform; respectfully indulge my ignorance.

Due to the dearth of semi rimmed .38 super brass in most areas, and possible inherent problems associated with it, what's it advantage over the 9 mm parababellum on the 1911 platform?

...since technology has brought us some factory 9mm loads in the 1,350 fps. + range.

Would you say it's greatly misunderstood, sort of like the .41 magnum is?
well on the simplest of terms think your most modern 9 MM projectile/ cartridge and add about 150-200 Feet per second and you got your answer.
I have heard the semi rimmed stuff for years and years, I been shooting/loading 38 Auto and super for about 35 years or more and have yet to incur any problems with the round.
in heavier projectiles its a good bit more advantage.

·
22,006 Posts
When I hear 1911 I think .45.

Problem is the platform is so popular folks want it in different calibers.

I see this most in competition shooting.

·
22,282 Posts
A .45ACP with an 8-round magazine has as much bullet weight as a 16-round 9mm. I'll take .45ACP for anything in the 1911 family, thanks.

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
A .45ACP with an 8-round magazine has as much bullet weight as a 16-round 9mm. I'll take .45ACP for anything in the 1911 family, thanks.
OK, so are you saying bullet weight is more important than amount of ammo??
seems right thinking about it--you know seeing as how the Armies of the world have pretty much gone to those big old Heavy 566 booletts???
to each their own, make mine more not bigger.

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
Really heavy for a carry gun.
IF speaking of a Government 1911 then I agree, they do carry well being so flat however.
I have a Dan Wesson steel Government model high capacity (14 +1) and loaded it weighs about 53 ounces.
that's why I personally consider for myself a alloy framed commander in 38 Super to be the best of the bunch.
Fair capacity, good power, light weight and flat.
I do have a Springfield Armory Officers model alloy frame that weigh 23 ounces with a unloaded mag but its 45 acp and not for those faint of heart or recoil sensitive to shoot.
The alloy framed commander in 38 Super (or 9 MM) is winner usually and has added capacity over the 45 or the officers models.

·
Super Moderator
35,064 Posts
I prefer revolvers and capacity of my 3" 66 is about the same as a commander. Even my 5 shot 605 Poly is plenty to stop a fight IMHO. I fire one at a time at a target with a clear line of fire. I'm not interested in getting arrested for collateral damage. If a 1911 offered me something way better than my revolvers or .45 or 9mm or .38 super offered anything more than .357 magnum in power or civilian carry....well, they don't. :D Not worth the money to me.

I do have a couple of 9s, but they're not 1911s, they're both double stacks. My Kel Tec is 14 ounces and carries 11 rounds. I do carry it a lot.

·
Super Moderator
35,064 Posts
When I hear 1911 I think .45.

Problem is the platform is so popular folks want it in different calibers.

I see this most in competition shooting.

I had a 1911 in .45 once upon a time. It was for competition. I shot a lot of pins, pepper popper games and such back then and nothing, but nothing clears the pins or grounds the pepper popper like a 200 grain SWC. :D 9x19 doesn't even come close.

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
well on the simplest of terms think your most modern 9 MM projectile/ cartridge and add about 150-200 Feet per second and you got your answer.
I have heard the semi rimmed stuff for years and years, I been shooting/loading 38 Auto and super for about 35 years or more and have yet to incur any problems with the round.
in heavier projectiles its a good bit more advantage.
Ok, you've sold me on most of the points; what about brass availability?

Are you having any problems in that regard?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts