Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the deal with all the so-called charities wanting "Only $19 a Month, blah, blah, yadda, yadda"?
Is $19 some kind of Magic Number?
Wounded Warriors, Humane Society, St. Jude Hospital, Save the Children, Save the Dogs, Save the Cats, Save this, that and the other thing.
Rant over.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Mind game. People who wouldn't give $20 a month might give $19 a month.

Same reason $39,199.99 for a car is nowhere as bad as $40,000 for a car.

You fixiate on it being a lower number, therefore not so bad a deal.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
And on the other side of that coin, there are a lot of people who mail in cash to these organizations, would you send $19.00 in the envelope or would you just put in a $20.00 bill? There you go, an extra dollar and it did not even hurt!:D:D:D

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
And on the other side of that coin, there are a lot of people who mail in cash to these organizations, would you send $19.00 in the envelope or would you just put in a $20.00 bill? There you go, an extra dollar and it did not even hurt!:D:D:D
I'd mail in some pennies and make them work for it:D

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The commercials just get annoying.
Channel surfing today, not much on Sundays, and those darn pleas for money are on all the channels.
And they offer you blankets, pictures, T-shirts, and whatever if you will only send $19 a month, only 63 cents a day.
$228 a year. That's a lot of ammo!

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Lots of small donations make for big overall collections. Personally, I give to Wounded Warriors. They have a good rating for the amount of the money they get actually going to services to help vets.

Reactions: Plano Mark

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
Lots of small donations make for big overall collections. Personally, I give to Wounded Warriors. They have a good rating for the amount of the money they get actually going to services to help vets.
I am not sure about this, but there is some buzz out there that WWP is anti-gun....

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
It's no different that the 100 million products priced $X.99

Reactions: G8R8U2

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Minus administration fees and yadda yadda how much actually goes to the cause?

Reactions: AOCM.RET

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Minus administration fees and yadda yadda how much actually goes to the cause?
About 10 to 15% tops. Just my guess!!

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
24,595 Posts
I'll just keep my 19 dollarss. Can't afford so many charities.

·
Registered
185 Posts
We set up our donations at the beginning of the year.

Our charity starts with our tithing 10% at church.

We then make monthly donations to select charities.

Many of these charities we donate to annually as they are close to our hearts.

This year we chose.

1. American Cancer Society.
2. Catholic Medical Mission Board.
3. St Vincent DePaul.
4. National Right to Life Commitee.
5. Catholic Charities USA.
6. St Mary's Medical Center
7. St Jude Children's Research.
8. The Salvation Army.
9. Catholic Releif Services.
10. Red Cross.
11. Sisters of St Francis of the Holy Eucharist.
12. Toy's for Tots.

All other charity request go into a folder for next years's consideration.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Mind game. People who wouldn't give $20 a month might give $19 a month.

Same reason $39,199.99 for a car is nowhere as bad as $40,000 for a car.

You fixiate on it being a lower number, therefore not so bad a deal.
Yep, it's like the 1st thing taught in marketing/business classes; the .99 with a smaller initial number makes a price more palatable to consumers... seems to make it easier for them to justify an expense.

Honestly, it kind of reminds me of being a kid and asking your folks for something for Christmas or your birthday...

Parents: What would you like for Christmas this year?
Timmy: I really like the remote-controlled firetruck with working lights and siren.
Parents: How much does it cost?
Timmy: I think it's only around twenty dollars.
Actual price of firetruck: $29.99 ;D

·
22,290 Posts
Yep, the first number you see is a "1," not a "2."

That doesn't bother me. What aggravates the living heck out of me are those tragedy commercials that use full orchestration in minor key and all the heart-wrenching photos they can jam into their allotted time. It's just manipulative. I change the channel. Just like I do with those %$^#@#@! Sonic commercials. :mad:

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
I figure when making the commercial the actor is getting paid, the production crew is getting paid, they have travel, food and lodging expenses. Then they have the expense of placing the commercial on tv.
So.............just don't do the commercial. Take all the money it would have cost to produce it and give it to the charity they were representing. They save time and trouble and I don't have to listen to their lies and the charity still gets the money.
What a deal.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Same reason most AS SEEN ON TV items are $19.99. $20.00 is just too much. It is all mind games.

As far as charities go just send your money to me, 100% of proceeds will go to the cause of your choice. What you don't need to know is the overhead is 99.99% of what is received.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I figure when making the commercial the actor is getting paid, the production crew is getting paid, they have travel, food and lodging expenses. Then they have the expense of placing the commercial on tv.
So.............just don't do the commercial. Take all the money it would have cost to produce it and give it to the charity they were representing. They save time and trouble and I don't have to listen to their lies and the charity still gets the money.
What a deal.
Only problem with that is virtually nobody would know about the charity without the ad. Before I see them I'm not usually aware of them; I know there are charities of that kind, but not usually what their names are... most of my charity and volunteer work is local.

The ads are manipulative, though; they're trying to guilt-trip and heart-string folks into giving. But, even though I recognize what they're doing, it IS still a good reminder for Americans that we truly are a blessed people with a lot to be thankful for... things that we just take for granted and consider standard or minimum requirements for daily life are actually luxuries to a very large percentage of the planet.

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
The ads are manipulative, though; they're trying to guilt-trip and heart-string folks into giving. But, even though I recognize what they're doing, it IS still a good reminder for Americans that we truly are a blessed people with a lot to be thankful for... things that we just take for granted and consider standard or minimum requirements for daily life are actually luxuries to a very large percentage of the planet.
That is very true however my wife and I have two charities we work with at home, one through donation and one we work actively with.
The key word there is "home". Until our house is in order and we have taken care of all the needy here "at home" I will continue to work
with the same charities that benefit the people of this country and my area specifically.
I am tired of the attitude that we should take care of the world. Half the world hates us, the other half wants our help and expects it but shows no gratitude or reciprocity after receiving it. I am also not willing to help those who won't help themselves. I will help the helpless. I won't help the stupid or lazy.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I think any that advertise like they do on TV spend a significant portion of their donations on advertising and not to the people you are sending money for. I may be wrong, and I do not know WWP and in no way am I singling them out.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
That is very true however my wife and I have two charities we work with at home, one through donation and one we work actively with.
The key word there is "home". Until our house is in order and we have taken care of all the needy here "at home" I will continue to work
with the same charities that benefit the people of this country and my area specifically.
I am tired of the attitude that we should take care of the world. Half the world hates us, the other half wants our help and expects it but shows no gratitude or reciprocity after receiving it. I am also not willing to help those who won't help themselves. I will help the helpless. I won't help the stupid or lazy.
That's what I wrote; most of my charity and volunteer work is local... we have ample needy folks right here. However, I don't see any of the children in those ads, regardless of where they live, as stupid or lazy; they're children... truly innocent.

And giving, but expecting gratitude or something tangible in return, really isn't charitable... that's buying something; whether it's buying an inflated sense of self, an ego boost, a better reputation, a perceived ticket to Heaven, or some future consideration, that's a purchase. I've always thought true philanthropists were the ones who made anonymous donations out of a genuine desire to improve the lives of others, without any consideration for self or reward.

Reminds me of something a wise older friend told me once; attempting to prove you have humility actually accomplishes the opposite... truly humble people don't need nor seek recognition for it.

As for American activities abroad, I agree with you, I also don't think you give elsewhere until you've resolved the homeless and hunger problems at home first; but I'd much rather see us feeding the world than policing it... through our own repeated interference and determination to convert other nations and cultures, we're now expected to resolve the world's problems with our own military, and at the expense of our young people, most of whom thought they were signing up to defend our country, not create policy or overthrow leaders in foreign countries by force.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts