Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with Taurus 17 rd. mags. I recently bought a PT909 and I`ll be damned if I can jam that many in this mag. And it does specifically say 17. Tried both mags,had two other experienced shooters try,it seems 16 is the max.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a PT92 with the 17rd mags and it took some effort to get the 16 & 17th round in at first due to spring rate. The HKS 941 speed loader works great on my mags. Take the mags appart and make sure there is nothing jamming in them. There are a few mag loader helpers out there try them out it will save your fingers.

Al

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a new PT92 that came with two 17 rnd mags.

I've gotta agree with Al. I've only loaded mine full a couple times, and I couldn't do it easily without the assistance of a mag loader. So, yeah, they'll hold the full 17, but it ain't easy.

So, pick up a cheap mag loader to save those fingers for the trigger.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Yeah even on a 12 round one, if your trying with fingers, the last one or two are a pain, in the fingers for sure. I know a $4 loader I bought made all the dif. in the world.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Most new magazines have such strong magazine springs that you cant get the last bullet or two in unless you have strong mechanic hands like me,and it often tends to put a dent on the top shell because they are so hard to insert into the firearm. Load them as full as yo can get them and let them set for a week. They will break in enough to insert the last few rounds. I then put one of the fully loaded magazine in the gun for a week, then swap to the other magazine, so they will both go in the gun easier.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Both of my new mags were very tough. I agree with adam as now they are fine. Just keep it loaded completely till the spring settles. No need for a speed loader after a couple of days.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
my pt92 came with 2 17rd mags.. i use the maglula uplula loader..
i can't get the last round in with it.. but neither with my hands either..

i've givin up on the 17th round.. im quite happy loading ot 16rd which is easy enough with the loader but still difficult with my hands.

I NEVER GO SHOOTING WITHOUT THAT LOADER. highly recommend it, more expensive then most loaders aprox 30.00, but it lives up to the hype.

·
Registered
57 Posts
joe sixpack,
+1 on the uplula.

I like that I can use it to load my 24/7 .45 12 round double stack and my K-9 9mm 7 round single stack. Their ads say they will load almost any handgun magazines.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The glock 9mm/.40 magazine loader is a nice cheap one @ 5 bucks that works with beretta,taurus,s&w,cobray mac-11's and other magazines.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
joe sixpack said:
i use the maglula uplula loader..
I NEVER GO SHOOTING WITHOUT THAT LOADER. highly recommend it, more expensive then most loaders aprox 30.00, but it lives up to the hype.
Oh boy, I looked at that, but I was looking on MidwayUSA site, and it was always out of stock. I have painful hands, either arthritis or carpel tunnel and they look like the ticket. If I get another semi auto, I will sure look into them again.

The reports here, and elsewhere sure hype it up so apparently it is the best for someone who wants to load mags, over the push down type.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
looks like a similar concept but slower, with the uplula i can load 1 per second.., truely the slowest part is just picking up and orienting the next round, it only takes about 30-60mins to get up to that speed.. within 10mins you'll have the hang of it and already be at 2sec/round

i showed it to some guy and girl shooting a glock yesterday at the range, he was like.. hows this work?
and i showed him and he was like OMG! where did you get that?

i showed him the name and web address on the loader but im not sure he got or remembered it since it was really busy.. if you have the chance try one you will be running around with a mag and a box of bullets trying ot show everyone.. it's really that cool, it's almost fun to use.

@ Robby
ya a lot of places was sold out when went to buy one.. cheaperthandirt.com has them or at least they did but by that time i had already bought off ebay of all places, do a search.. if you have trouble let me know i'll look up the sellers name i think i paid 32.70 or something like that to my door..

if you can find one locally (i could'nt) they retail for like 28.99 or 29.99 (give or take a few bucks), well worth it imo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got three 17 round mags that make up my wife's night stand stock pile. Round 16 and 17 were hard to load, but I bought a couple cheap little blue plastic loading devices that go on your thumb and are used to push down the top round in the magazine. I can't remember what they are called or who makes them, but they work great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those little blue doohinkys are called magloaders, from magloader.com
I got some because the mag springs for the PT111 MP were a lot stronger than my thumb. But I am also considering the UPLULA.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks asa13th. The great thing about them is that they work for any pistol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just picked up a new PT-92 SS this afternoon and must have loaded & unloaded the mags 3 times trying to get the 17th rd in. I have a UPLULA mag loader and even then it wouldn't load that 17th rd.

I have a Sig 226 with a 17rd mag that's a breeze compared to the PT.

Glad to know I'm not alone.

·
22,050 Posts
Not having any trouble with the 24/7 9mm 17 rnd mag. I am using a standard mag loader. The 20 rnd mag for the 917 is a bit tougher but I am able to get the last one in.

There is no replacement for cubic displacement. :D :D :D

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i can't get the 17th round into my 92/99 mags.. actually 917 uses the same mags as well.
it's probably possible but i am not comfortable putting that much pressure on the mag.

i can't do it by hand nor loader.. i can almost get it in with the uplula, but it feels like the follower has bottomed out and it just wont quite fit.

never tried the 20 rounders though.. i like my mags to fit flush.

·
22,050 Posts
joe,
I sometimes have to push down on the front of the bullet at the same time as I push down with the loader. The stack seems to get angled in the mag with the back of the bullets down further. I have loaded my mags a good bit and it does get a little easier as you use them. The next time I have the camera handy I will take a pic of the loader I use. It is a cheap generic one I got from Midway.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
im not to worried about it.. im happy with 16.. it'll give me 15+1 without having to remove the mag and replace the top round.

my mags are still pretty new but i keep them loaded so maybe they will loosen up.. i could probably get the last round in with the uplula, but i just dont feel comfortable pushing down any harder.. and i've givin up on doing it by hand.. infact even 16 is to much by hand for me.. i can do it but it' snot worth it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts