Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've shot maybe 300 rounds through this .17 HMR SS Tracker. Super fun revolver to shoot.

A large percentage of the cases distend at the neck, like shown in the photos. In both photos, compare the the casing on the left which did not distend. In the photo of four, the casing on the far right split along the long axis of the case.

Normal, not normal, send back to Taurus?

Do you have a Taurus revolver shooting "necked down" cartridges? The .17 HMR may be the only one. Have you seen this or better yet, not seen it?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,939 Posts
That condition seems to be normal for 17 HMR revolvers

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
It is not normal you have some bad chambers in the cylinde. The cylinder needs to be replaced. The fired case should look like an unfired case when ejected from the chamber.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I found this thread about the 17hmr Taurus- and couldn't ind it again. So I started my own threads on this forum.

I just ordered this revolver from Cabelas. I have an old taurus 38 SPL so I have a great experience with the brand,no issues

This bit with the expanded necks and cracks has me a little nervous.

What year did you get your? Was it new?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gotta tell you, your post scared me, and am convinced by others on this site that it is not normal. The guys at Cabelas told me that they recommend only Hornady HMR for this pistol and that Taurus told them that. They mention "difficulty" in ejecting the spent casings- I suspect some of yours are hard to eject, no? I

got real nervous and cancelled my order for the Track 17 HMR- bought a Ruger 22 mag "Single Nine" and very impressed wit the "Cowboy" type of revolver. My shooting at 40 feet was way better than anything else I've shot in any caliber with any of my several handguns.

I did a lot of googling around on Ruger revolvers before I sunk my money into it. The Ruger Manual says to shoot only Hornady for their .17 cal revolver, so I suspect that theirs are having some trouble with this caliber too

All major ammo manufacturers have recommended not to shoot .17 HMR in ANY, semi automatic pistol. So that is well-established for some time now. I suspect that revolvers are better but not perfect in this caliber. One guy on this forum suggested that the cylinders were cut badly and that would cause the problem you are seeing. He also suggested getting a new cylinder from Ruger. I would report this to Ruger and see what they will do. Might be as simples as getting a new cylinder. By the way, how old is your Tracker 17 HMR? Maybe the problem has been addressed by now and has an easy fix. Anyway, what you are seeing is not normal

So I bought something else- I really like the ballistics on the .17 HMR and the ammo is way more plentiful than 22 mag, but I got scared off and got the Ruger in 22 mag

I am going to post on the threads that I have been following that I called off purchasing the .17 HMR.

Good luck to you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts