Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first bought a new (old stock) 9mm 24/7 OSS DS. It came with two 17rd magazines. I like it, so I went ahead and purchased a holster and magazine belt pouches along with two more Taurus factory 17rd magazines. The two new 9mm magazines were identical to the two original magazines that came with the pistol and worked as expected. Everything is good with this gun.

Since I liked the 9mm so much I decided to purchase a 40 S&W 24/7 OSS DS. It came with two 15rd magazines. I have only one issue with this gun/magazine combination. The two original magazines would only function properly with 14 rounds in them. A 15[SUP]th[/SUP] round could be placed into the original magazine but the loaded magazine would not seat into the pistol if the slide was closed at the time. Loaded with 14 rounds, I could easily seat the magazine into the pistol. Accepting this limitation, I went ahead and purchased two more Taurus factory 15rd magazines. The two (additional) Taurus factory 40 S&W 15rd magazines magazines were physically different from the two (original) that came with the gun. The original 40 S&W magazines looked much like the magazines for the 9mm pistol except the follower is now orange instead of yellow. These magazines seat flush with the bottom of the pistol and they drop free when the magazine release button is pushed. The two additional 15rd magazines are longer than the original 15rd magazines. The plastic floor plate of these magazines extends down further. This gives them more internal volume. I suspect this was done to fix the problem with the “15th” round, and in fact, the additional (longer) magazines function properly loaded with 15 rounds. My problem with the additional magazines is that they do not drop free when the magazine release button is pushed. I have to pull them out of the pistol. I require my magazines to drop free because I participate in USPSA and IDPA shooting. I called Taurus to ask if there were there were two version of the magazine, hoping I could swap the non-drop free magazines for the older (14 round) version. The customer representative said that there was only one version of 40 S&W 24/7 15rd magazine. She did not know of any earlier version and said the current magazine should drop free.

What has been your experience with the Taurus 40 S&W 24/7 15rd magazine?

FYI - I was unpacking the two additional magazines and trying them out with my pistol, cycling ammunition through them by hand. The ammunition coming out of one of them was coated in rust. I didn't notice this until I had already gotten the barrel of my pistol loaded up with rust (had to clean that right away). Upon disassembling the magazine, I discovered it was packed with rust inside, coating everything. The rust did not originate form the magazine parts. It seems as though the rust was pored into the magazine during final assembly. The magazine was fine once I had cleaned it out. The customer representative for Taurus didn't seem to be concerned by any of this and merely passed it off as something she had not heard of before, implying that I should not be concerned. Strange.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Magazines you bought may be a bit lighter. That's one theory. Take a colored marker and put some marks at different points on the magazine and see if it is rubbing somewhere in the grip housing. Also, it could just be because they are new. I have the same pistol and mine drop right out. these are the magazines that came with the gun. I haven't tried any after market magazines. Possibly made from a different material but, it should be something you can chase down with a little work.

·
Registered
36,611 Posts
I bet old Cootikey has figured out that it wasn't rust in his magazine but preservative that's became old and brown, at least he has had 18 months from the date of that post to figure it out.
Seems that old Cootie hasn't been back either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts