Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of posts talking about these two compared to each other, but I have not found any photos of them side-by-side. Any body have any photos of them comparing their differences (thickness, etc)

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
I meant to post this earlier. I was trying to show the width difference between the two.

Oops. I think I resized the pic too small.

the 145 is on the bottom

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have held both and preferred the grip of the double stack PT145. Double stack pistiols also spread the recoil force over a broader area. If you also consider the extra ammo capacity, it was not a hard decision to go for the PT145. However, you could slip on a Hogue Handall Jr grip and the side palm swells would make the PT745 very comfy. For a carry piece, I would opt for the stainless slide.

I am waiting for the "Slim" PT709 (will add a Handall Jr) to replace my Kahr CW9 as a summer carry weapon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am looking for a CCW for here in Houston (where it is hot nearly all the time) and have been leaning towards the 745 for its smaller size. But if the size is not that different I guess the 145 would work fine also. Just trying to get an idea from pictures as to the size differences.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
WildRice said:
I am waiting for the "Slim" PT709 (will add a Handall Jr) to replace my Kahr CW9 as a summer carry weapon.
Hopefully you're not planning on carrying it this summer. ;)

·
Registered
876 Posts
strong_bad said:
Any angles from the back?
Sorry. I was working and stopped in the LGS. Started looking at all the other guns and got distracted. I'll have to see if they still have the PT745. The 145 is mine.

FWIW, I like feel of the PT145 better. It's easier for me to control and recovery is faster for follow-up shots.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It certainly appears that most people have opted for the PT145. I have only seen a couple of cases where the PT745 was preferred.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
It really doesn't look like the 745 is too much narrower than the 145....just a little, but not all that much. That makes me glad I opted for the 145, with the 10 round mag.

I'll be interested in seeing the PT-709 but I seriously doubt I'll buy one right away - I've got a Keltec PF9 and so I'll let them work the bugs out of them (ie: Ruger SP9) before I get serious about that particular gun.

·
Registered
89 Posts
strong_bad said:
I am looking for a CCW for here in Houston (where it is hot nearly all the time) and have been leaning towards the 745 for its smaller size. But if the size is not that different I guess the 145 would work fine also. Just trying to get an idea from pictures as to the size differences.
I think the size is nearly the same, but the weight would be different, I usually carry a PT745 and it works well for me.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I would choose the 745 over the 145, because of the useless rail on the 145.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We need some facts in here instead of subjective opinions. Who has actually owned and carried concealed both of these?

Of course the wider grip will feel better, the purpose of the slim grip is concealment. Question is does it really conceal that much better?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Amen. I know the advantages and disadvantages in regards to higher capacity or thinner grip, but since I seem to be unable to get my hands on a 745 I am trying to get some objective opinions (and preferably more side by side photos).

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've owned both. I shot better with the 745. It was a 2nd gen. DAO. Normally I'd do better with a SA, but that's just the way it was. I felt very little difference in the grips of the two. I don't think I could tell you which one was which if I only grabbed one of them.
I also felt very little difference in weight with the extra 3 rounds. Recoil on both was just fine. Both concealed very well.
If the prices are the same I'd get the 145. I'm not concerned about capacity that much, so if the 745 is a fair amount cheaper, I'd get it. I think you'd be happy with either.
Hope this helps some.

Edit-I have average sized hands. If you have large hands the 145 would be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Used a Fobus paddle holster. No difference in concealability. I don't think
there was 1/2" difference in the 2 grips.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well thunderjohn, I appreciate your insight. I have handled the 145 and I like it, but I think that the grip feels a bit thick for my preference, particularly in comparison to any of the Kahr line. I think I would like the thin grip more, but I agree with you that if one was substantially cheaper I would probably go with that one.

I know I can get the 145 new in blue finish for 299 everyday, so that is my price to beat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts