Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I can gather, Taurus makes 3 different models of .22lr revolver. The 94 series seems to have a horrible trigger? So I'm wondering what y'all think. I have a Ruger SR22 pistol that she loves to shoot, but it's technically not hers and she still has a little trouble racking the slide. I wouldn't want to be on the business end of it though. I swear she's a natural marksman!

I've also seen some colt 1873 replicas out there(Chiappa and Heritage) for around $200. They seem to get really great reviews. Anyone familiar with either?

Also, concerning a SA only revolver, I'm understanding that to mean that with each round you have to cock the hammer? I'm a relative newbie myself and only have semi autos.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
SA also you have to punch each empty out one at a time, the cylinder does not swing out like a DA to eject all empties with one stroke.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SA, you have to cock the hammer before every shot.

DA, you do not. You can cock the hammer on a DA revolver for a single action trigger pull though.

thanks, that's what I thought.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SA also you have to punch each empty out one at a time, the cylinder does not swing out like a DA to eject all empties with one stroke.

Good to know. thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I've been researching those for about a month now. Of course my local Academy doesn't have any in stock and can't tell me when they will. She really likes the cowboy gun look, and the people who've bought them seem to like them.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
The way to remember the difference:

SA the trigger performs one function - drops the hammer or the striker. Something else - thumb, recoils, gas etc. prepares the gun for the next firning.

DA the trigger performs both the cocking and the firing actions.

DA/SA if the gun misfires or is de-cocked, the trigger performs both the cocking and firing action in DA mode. If the gun is cocked and ready to fire and operates properly, the recoil of the slide or blowback or gas prepares the gun for the next trigger pull.

As far as a good revolver for your daughter, the 94 series is in fact a pretty good gun. Once the hammer is cocked by hand, the trigger is pretty crisp and easy to fire. It can be fired in DA, but it takes 2 grown men and a small boy to operate the trigger.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Take a look at the Rossi forum here (Taurus makes Rossi). Several of us have just got the new R98 .22 revolver. It has the lightest trigger of any .22 revolver I have seen.

Even so... my 11 year old son has to double finger it to shoot it double action. He can pull the hammer and shoot single action with no issues. All .22 revolvers have a heavy trigger, just nature of the beast.

On the other hand my son can shoot my S&W Model 19 with full .357 magnums no problems at all in double action (he does say "ouch" after each shot when shooting magnums LOL)

Rossi USA

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I like the Heritage. I do not own one but I have shot it and it felt nice.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have a Heritage Rough Rider 6.5" with adjustable sights. Fun plinker and pretty accurate. Single action the cylinder does not swing out for loading, rather you open a loading gate and turn the cylinder to insert each bullet. Also, you have to pull the hammer back with your thumb and then fire by pulling the trigger. Your daughter may be more accurate with a SA. When pulling the trigger DA you have more of a chance of moving off the target.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Heritage Rough Rider 6.5" with adjustable sights. .

I was just looking online at that one. True adjustable sights and the longer barrel would seem to make it a nice target shooter, and the price is right too. Now I just have to find one...
:(

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
Being a traditional double action Taurus M-94 fan, I'll recommend it.

It's of the size and weight a 12 year old can handle well. Their triggers break in well just like any other .22 rimfire revolver. They are "all" on the heavy side to ensure reliable ignition with rimfire ammo.

If one does not desire to spent the time and ammo to break it in, a trigger job can be performed in about 30 minutes. Just use a dremel tool, felt buffing wheel and mother's mag polish to polish the main spring hammer strut to a mirrored finish. Replace the main spring with one from Wolffe (about $3), and ta-dah!

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Classic Firearms (on-line) had the Heritage Rough Rider with the longer barrel, blued, with laminated grips for $129.99 last week. Don't know if they have any now but its worth looking.

The gun is built in the Taurus Plant in Miami. They are not the prettiest gun in the world but they always go bang and they are not easy to wear out.

The gun is offered in both alloy frame or steel frame.

The company offers a one year warranty but if you have an out of warranty problem and ship it to them they will fix it and only charge what the parts actually cost. No labor or service charges at all.

Don

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Well - I need to throw in another 2 cents here - tonight I just fired my brand new Uberti Stallion Target rimfire. I'ts single action, has an adjustable rear sight, is beeeee-u-tiful (I got the one with brass accents) - and the best part is - it is incredible to shoot! Smooth trigger, super accurate! Better than my Ruger single sixes, by far, not as nice as my Colt SAA's - but a heck of a lot less expensive! Of course it is a single action so it takes longer to load and un-load, but that can be a good thing for a beginner - or when you are trying to conserve on ammo. Young folk are notorious for shooting thru lots of ammo and having a SA revolver may help her to "slow down" and make each shot count. All I know is that what I paid for this Uberti is about what I paid for my M94 5". Also - the target stallion has a 5 1/2" barrel - I definitely like longer barrels for accuracy on the range. I would recommend that you get her a "good" firearm, regardless of what you do get - Taurus, Uberti, Ruger, old beater S & W, whatever... My own experiences with inexpensive, plinking type firearms when I was first learning to shoot revolvers were that I got frustrated and actually quit shooting several times over the years until DH got me "good" gun - and then I discovered what fun I could really have and it has made me the range bunny that I am today! Firearms being scarce right now, I think that most of us will agree that the used firearm market has shrunk even more - but look around at your lgs's and see if they have something previously owned that might work - better quality and already broken it! My first Taurus M94 was "previously owned" and quite nice to shoot immediately, as someone already housetrained it! PS Will get a picture up of the Uberti in about 5 or 6 weeks - that's how long transfers are now taking in the "glorious" state of Maryland! My gun is in the safe at the range/ffl - I can shoot it, but I can't clean it until I take it home so somehow I am going to have to go thru the DT's of not shooting it for a while so I don't foul the poor thing up totally!

PPS - I am a female type - short, with small hands so I just thought I'd throw that in becasue I may have a similar hand size to your daughter!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Realizing this is a Taurus forum, I'll probably get some flak for this. But for a DAO, the Ruger LCR revolver has a light trigger. It's worth at least checking out. And it's now available in both .22LR and .22 Magnum..

·
Registered
373 Posts
Realizing this is a Taurus forum, I'll probably get some flak for this. But for a DAO, the Ruger LCR revolver has a light trigger. It's worth at least checking out. And it's now available in both .22LR and .22 Magnum..

Nah don't think anyone is gonna give ya flak for suggesting another brand...best part bout reading through the suggestions is having a bunch of browser pages open checking out all the firearms. :happy:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again for the info everyone. I'm not sure why she wants another .22 anyway. I have the Ruger sr22 that she knows she can shoot anytime she wants. We go to the range twice a month on average. I guess it's because she doesn't have a gun she can call her own, well except for her .22 cricket rifle her grandfather got her several years ago. Maybe it's because her mother and I have both gotten new pistols in the last month. Kind of a Valentine's gift to each other. Nothing says "I love you" better than new guns, right?

Anyway, I'd like her to get a stock Ruger 10/22 Carbine. Thay way she can upgrade and change out accessories whenever she wants. Make it truly her own, like my AR. She loves to shoot it and is quite the marksman. But, her birthday is coming up in July, so I'll get my girl what she wants. I'm trying to plan ahead with today's low stock on firearms. Problem is, as with all 12 year olds, what they want today is NOT what they want tomorrow. :confused:

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Thanks again for the info everyone. I'm not sure why she wants another .22 anyway. I have the Ruger sr22 that she knows she can shoot anytime she wants. We go to the range twice a month on average. I guess it's because she doesn't have a gun she can call her own, well except for her .22 cricket rifle her grandfather got her several years ago. Maybe it's because her mother and I have both gotten new pistols in the last month. Kind of a Valentine's gift to each other. Nothing says "I love you" better than new guns, right?

Anyway, I'd like her to get a stock Ruger 10/22 Carbine. Thay way she can upgrade and change out accessories whenever she wants. Make it truly her own, like my AR. She loves to shoot it and is quite the marksman. But, her birthday is coming up in July, so I'll get my girl what she wants. I'm trying to plan ahead with today's low stock on firearms. Problem is, as with all 12 year olds, what they want today is NOT what they want tomorrow. :confused:
How tall is your daughter? I'm 5" tall and guess my arms are kinda' short. I've been looking for a Ruger 10/22 compact - it has a shorter LOP and barrel length than the carbine...;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts