Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I live in england and lead is getting more expensive so do i give up shooting 12 gauge slug and concentrate on melting lead for my full bore rifles.
The problem is slugs are 1 oz and i can make 3 to 5 full bore bullets from that, so does that make sense, i can still use my shotty for clays etc.
What are your views on this, lead is getting harder to find and more espensive and i have about 60 kg of lead which should last a few years:cool:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
It all depends on what you use the shotgun for. In th uk I would not recommend you use your shotgun for home defense but here in the states I like to have the old buck and ball combo for home defense and bears and cougars are threats where I live so its not out of the question. But the real question is did they start to ban lead fishing weights in the uk? There just have to be other sources for lead. I knew some guys who would use old tire weight in their smelters.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
If all lead, including wheel weights, are getting too expensive in the UK then I'd go the route that gave me the most bang for my buck (or pound in your case.

Which would be cast rifle bullets.

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
If you can find an old building being demolished it might have lead pipes.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers guys,

yes home defence is out in the uk, old tyre wieghts are getting harder to find and the new shiny ones are no good at all.
old buildings are getting harder to find and the sites are often fenced off with no entry signs on them.
i do get some lead from a indoor range now and again.

So i think i will sell my shotgun i use for shotgun slug and concentrate on full bore rifle, i still have shotguns for clays etc.

Banning fishing weights in the uk, blimey, never heard of that, will look into it.

cheers guys for your input.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I shoot a lot of 45 cal. bullets in rifle, pistols and revolvers not to mention the 38 and 30 cal. bullets I shoot. I cast my 45 cal. rifle bullets and revolver bullets from pure lead with tin added and the rest is PB & WW's. Pure lead is getting hard to find and shooting Ounce+ slugs will eat it up fast. I'm trying to build a bullet trap to capture these lead bullets that I shoot at targets so I can reuse the lead.

·
Registered
27 Posts
we have a few place's we recover the lead from..... melting it down and then recasting.... the copper is skimmed and sold... the lead is cast in bars for melting again later... there a few places that people just went and shot and never thought twice about recovering lead or brass.... but that was long ago...

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
I saw a bullet trap the worked great for what you want I just can't find it. It looks like a large snail where the bullet travels through the spirals ending in a trap door type thing. I'll try and find it as I saw it in a magazine a few years ago.

·
Registered
27 Posts
what about a angle / water trap..... steeply angled plate directing the bullets into a water trap..... should be easier to recover than sand trap.... ???? just a thought

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
The old gasoline tank I have cut in half works to deflect most pistol bullets into the ground but the steel is not strong enough to handle the rifle bullets without being dented. 45 Forever, I've seen the trap you are talking about but I can't find it either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts