Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to leave this as a broad question and lets see where it goes...if anywhere.
The date has been given many different scenario as to the end or the begining of the end. Or could just as well be an over blow theory and be just another day.
Of course the Mayan calendar shows it to be the end of life. Others show it to be the begining of the end. Science points to a massive period of solar flares that will kill the power grid for years, resulting in placing society back to the living conditions of hundreds of years ago.

So just curious, what is your take on the subject? No right or wrong answer....at least that we know of yet. Speak up and chime in!!

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
The calender was chiseled on a rock. The rock was only so big. It had to end on some date, didn't it?

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
I've asked all the Mayan faithful to PM me all their pass words, pins, gun safe combos and bank account numbers.

Since their world will end 12, 21, 2012, I'll be around on the 22nd to collect all the guns and money left behind.

Sarcasim is the other service I offer for free...;)

·
Registered
548 Posts
It will be just like New Years eve 1999 going into 2000 with all the BS hoopla then. This will be the same but I think people will be alil more stupid with it due to the hype has been elevated alot more!!

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Other than the fact that 12-21 is the winter solstice I don't think it will be significantly different than the few million years that preceded it. As for that Mayan calendar maker? I think he finally just got tired and decided to retire! Actually, the Mayan faith believes that their life and spirit cycles simply begin over again on that date. It's not a cataclysmic event just a new day! And perhaps a new day is what we all need?

·
Registered
31,758 Posts
If it is the end of mankind....there is no point in any survival preparation.....gone is gone.

It does go against all religious teachings!

No point in fretting about it, sure won't be able to do anything about it. Just hope it's a really loud bang and not 30 minutes or more of getting cooked!

·
Registered
27,169 Posts
Going to leave this as a broad question and lets see where it goes...if anywhere.
The date has been given many different scenario as to the end or the begining of the end. Or could just as well be an over blow theory and be just another day.
Of course the Mayan calendar shows it to be the end of life. Others show it to be the begining of the end. Science points to a massive period of solar flares that will kill the power grid for years, resulting in placing society back to the living conditions of hundreds of years ago.

So just curious, what is your take on the subject? No right or wrong answer....at least that we know of yet. Speak up and chime in!!
This hole (pun intended) thing came about, not because of the ancient Mayans, but because of a remarkably inept archaeologist who couldn't translate Mayan worth a damn. I don't know if you want all the math, but the Mayan calendar was complicated by having a 260 day cycle and a 365 day cycle along with 13 day cycles and 20 day cycles. By the time that all the cycles were taken into account, there was a long cycle by which the basic Mayan calendar repeats. This was the period that the moron Eric Thompson took to mean that the Mayan calendar ended on a certain date. (BTW - he flat made up the correspondence between the Mayan calendar and the Julian calendar - nobody actually knows what date the end of the Mayan cycle refers to).
Anyway, the Mayans knew that this cycle repeated over and over again - it has no more significance than our use of centuries or millenia. They used this calendar only for measuring relatively short periods of time. They had another calendar used for measuring long periods - the Long Count - which, just as western calendars are, is linear.
So give the Mayans credit - they were a lot smarter than the people getting all excited about some extinct culture predicting the end of the world.

Reactions: CompOSS9mm

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
I'm asking for a time out.
I'll give you my opinion on 12-22-2012.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Well Texas A&M is going to be playing in the SEC next year. I think they may be onto something here. :D

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I'll let you know a year from today!

·
Registered
31,758 Posts
Well Texas A&M is going to be playing in the SEC next year. I think they may be onto something here. :D
I wonder if they will show up...even before 12-21-2012? Of course I can't brag about the Red Raiders, but I can sure complain about our Tupperware coach who supposedly fired his assistants who caused Tech to lose....and replaced them with losing ATM coaches! Makes a lot of sense!

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
What I'm really hoping for on that date is an ensuing celebration of the end of the reign of the Almighty God Obama.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Hoop-la. That's exactly what it is.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sorry guys,, but as I have said many times here, there is no prophecy that say the world will end in 2012. That has came about by people who do not understand what has been written. What it does say, is it will be a time of great change.
The Hopi, Mayans, Celtic, Egyptian, Hebrew and others do say about the same thing for our time period tho. And that is a lot of Earth changes.
PS. And it's not a wake up one day and it has happened. It will be gradual, building up and then going back to normal. Like birth pains.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
That's the day my brother turns 30. I plan on celebrating with him and the rest of my family.

·
Registered
13,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's the day my brother turns 30. I plan on celebrating with him and the rest of my family.
Well I would be pleased to meet the both of you at the Pizza Shoppe there in Bixby for a nice king size round table and cold beer. But, if I recall correct, unless things have changed the Pizza Shoppe doesn't serve beer.

·
Registered
13,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, lets take the Mayans and other calender makers of centuries long ago out of the equation.
What creedance if any do you hold in the scientific predictions of massive solar flares that would bring cataclysmic changes in day to day life as we know it, by creating havic with power grids and taking most of the world off grid for many years to come? Have you ever thought as to how different your life would be without electricity and all that it allows and supports.....and yes I mean getting past not having the ability to use our forum here.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
OK, lets take the Mayans and other calender makers of centuries long ago out of the equation.
What creedance if any do you hold in the scientific predictions of massive solar flares that would bring cataclysmic changes in day to day life as we know it, by creating havic with power grids and taking most of the world off grid for many years to come? Have you ever thought as to how different your life would be without electricity and all that it allows and supports.....and yes I mean getting past not having the ability to use our forum here.
What you're describing is another SHTF scenario.
We've been through so many on this forum that I'll never be able to get my fan clean.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
And if not then, probably Spring of 2013, when the Astros move to *gasp* the American League! Surely the end of the world as we know it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts