Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Student brings a pellet gun to Ladson Elementary | Lowcountry Headlines - News Radio 94.3 WSC News & Politics|Charleston, SC

Student accused in shootings | The Post and Courier - Charleston, South Carolina

Several articles about this has the media in an uproar. He brought an airsoft gun to school! It was not a gun. The media is asking if metal detectors should be put in all SC schools.

Personally, I don't think this is worthy of all the hype because some brat brought their A/S gun to school and shot some other kids. The parents should have been held responsible and should face discipline. The kid is 11. We shouldn't make the rest of the state pay b/c the parents can't control their child.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Fifty years ago it would not have been a big deal. But in today's world parents need to be more vigilant so that their children do not get into trouble for something, that is in all reality, not a big deal.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hell Im 39 and I remember in 7th grade taking a 22 rifle to school to make a new stock in wood shop and all my parents had to do was call the school and let them know I was bringing it. The following year I took an old double barrel shotgun to do the same. Took both right on the bus with me with no problems at all. Now tis was a small town rural school amongst mostly a farming/hunting community.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Back in the late 60`s when I was in second grade, I took a pair of cap guns to school. The only thing that happened was the teacher took them until the end of the day and she gave them back. The school wasn`t evacuated and the S.W.A.T. team didn`t storm the building. Imagine that!! No punishment at all!! Today, I would have probably been arrested and labeled a gang banger.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
It was an air soft not a firearm, it should not have been brought to school and the appropriate punishment should be dispensed.

Let's not try to blow it all out of proportion America.

·
Administrator
39,383 Posts
His little round head, is full of mush, right now. Where is mom and dad?

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
Fifty years ago it would not have been a big deal. But in today's world parents need to be more vigilant so that their children do not get into trouble for something, that is in all reality, not a big deal.
Point is that it is our job to make sure that legal reality corresponds to physical reality. We are failing badly at that job.

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
Back in the late 60`s when I was in second grade, I took a pair of cap guns to school. The only thing that happened was the teacher took them until the end of the day and she gave them back. The school wasn`t evacuated and the S.W.A.T. team didn`t storm the building. Imagine that!! No punishment at all!! Today, I would have probably been arrested and labeled a gang banger.
I got caught with a water gun. Don't think I ever did get it back. The teacher had a drawer full of them.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
OTOH - 3 dead in Ohio school shooting... I wish I knew what has actually gone wrong - and how to fix it. I don't think we should ridicule the people who are making ineffective and wrong-headed efforts to fix the problem. At least we have to acknowledge that the problem exists.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
I'll tell you what the problem is. Kid's today aren't familiar or educated about firearms.
I don't believe a kid, who knows the devastation and finality a firearm can bring, would ever bring a gun to school. On the other hand, a kid playing X box war games and watching movies, where death isn't forever, would more than likely, bring that gun into the classroom.

just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I was at that school on Saturday.. I was in the same room. and probably looked at some of the same kids that are now either dead or wounded. You cannot compare an actual school shooting to someone bringing in a toy. Altho it needs to be stressed that bringing in air softs or w/e are no longer acceptable and will be met with severe punishments. Just to get the message across. I am ok with that.
Severe punishment meaning suspension..

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Show and Tell isn't what it used to be.

I used to take a 870 12 gauge that had blown up due to a double charge as an example for a Safety course I gave as a 12 year old in 4-H for after school. Never had a problem. Also, you were no kind of a stud if you didn't have a gunrack in your pick-up with at least one gun in it that was proudly shown through the rear and front windows. That is the difference between1960 and now.

My middle son got a $250 fine and 40 hours of community service for his K-5 Blazer having a shotgun shell and an "empty" Copenhagen can in it. The shotgun shell had fallen out of his vest and rolled under a seat. I was really P.O.ed!

·
Registered
773 Posts
I remember bringing paintball guns to school because I was staying the night with a friend and we wanted to go off in the woods and play when we got to his house, Teacher looked at them, played around with it in the classroom and even went outside to shoot it. Gave it back and we went on our merry way.

I brought countless knives to school and we had teachers who would ask to borrow them.

And this was only 10 yrs ago

·
Premium Member
10,974 Posts
OTOH - 3 dead in Ohio school shooting... I wish I knew what has actually gone wrong - and how to fix it. I don't think we should ridicule the people who are making ineffective and wrong-headed efforts to fix the problem. At least we have to acknowledge that the problem exists.
The problem has nothing to do with guns. The problem is that these kids have been told all their lives how special they are. Now, on the verge of adulthood, they've (some have) discovered that they're not any more special than the other guy. Combine a psychological let down with raging hormones, and you get the kind of conflict resolution that you see in the movies and on video games. There was speculation that this kid was the victim of bullying, but that looks like it's not the case. What set him off? If he had to (and by the way, he doesn't), he couldn't give you a rational answer to that question. I will bet you money though, at some point while he was pulling the trigger, he truely believed that people would think of him as a hero.

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
Show and Tell isn't what it used to be.

I used to take a 870 12 gauge that had blown up due to a double charge as an example for a Safety course I gave as a 12 year old in 4-H for after school. Never had a problem. Also, you were no kind of a stud if you didn't have a gunrack in your pick-up with at least one gun in it that was proudly shown through the rear and front windows. That is the difference between1960 and now.

My middle son got a $250 fine and 40 hours of community service for his K-5 Blazer having a shotgun shell and an "empty" Copenhagen can in it. The shotgun shell had fallen out of his vest and rolled under a seat. I was really P.O.ed!
I get the fine for the tobacco can - sort of - as it's illegal for the kid to have tobacco (not that I think it's right, but I get where the authorities thought they were justified), but what's wrong with the shotgun shell?

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
The problem has nothing to do with guns. The problem is that these kids have been told all their lives how special they are. Now, on the verge of adulthood, they've (some have) discovered that they're not any more special than the other guy. Combine a psychological let down with raging hormones, and you get the kind of conflict resolution that you see in the movies and on video games. There was speculation that this kid was the victim of bullying, but that looks like it's not the case. What set him off? If he had to (and by the way, he doesn't), he couldn't give you a rational answer to that question. I will bet you money though, at some point while he was pulling the trigger, he truely believed that people would think of him as a hero.
I get that - just saying that I understand the wishful thinking that banning guns will do some good. It behooves us to figure out a response that will, in fact, ameliorate the problem. I think you have part of the answer, and the "self esteem" movement has already lost most of its panache - but we're still not back to a civilized society. I wish I had an answer, but the only thing I know is that the "experts" aren't any closer than I am.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Personally, I don't think this is worthy of all the hype because some brat brought their A/S gun to school and shot some other kids...
We all see things from a different perspective.

Respectfully, I'm a grandfather of six, and am presently raising my little toddler great-grandson, and if my kids had been shot with this little pi$$ant's pellet gun, I'd be in an uproar too.

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
We all see things from a different perspective.

Respectfully, I'm a grandfather of six, and am presently raising my little toddler great-grandson, and if my kids had been shot with this little pi$$ant's pellet gun, I'd be in an uproar too.
Get that, but a pellet gun shoots metallic pellets - airsoft are plastic. While it is not impossible to injure somebody with an airsoft gun, it's pretty darned hard.
Let's not escalate the rhetoric. While some stories say "pellet gun" others say "airsoft". Given that all rifles are assault weapons, I don't think I know what was involved.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts