·
Registered
24,756 Posts
Very lucky lad.

Reactions: YOT

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
You know about fake news. I saw this posted on line years Ago. It said then " 11 year old kills brown bear with bird shot."
Nowhere did it say "Elliot had birdshot as his top round in his shotgun to scare a bear off should they see one. Fortunately the rest of his shots were slugs." back then in 2017.
Regardless, the 11yr old had a big ol pair of brass hanging to keep him steady while a brown bear is coming point blank.
Stamp his man card "paid in full".

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
You know about fake news. I saw this posted on line years Ago. It said then " 11 year old kills brown bear with bird shot."
Nowhere did it say "Elliot had birdshot as his top round in his shotgun to scare a bear off should they see one. Fortunately the rest of his shots were slugs." back then in 2017.
Regardless, the 11yr old had a big ol pair of brass hanging to keep him steady while a brown bear is coming point blank.
Stamp his man card "paid in full".

Yes, desperate to post something David Smith of wideopenspaces.com recycles two year old news knowing it will still garner a lot of clicks as all the old guys will have forgotten it by now. Lame-O

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Lucky for him, if that Bear had been on Meth then it would have kept right on coming. Also, if he had used buckshot or slugs than it would have killed the bear twice as dead!

But seriously, this is why Bear Defense threads are so stupid. Bears aren't the four-legged Abrams Tanks that folks on forums seem to think that they are, and you don't actually need to have the biggest, baddest, most shoulder-bruising, wrist-fracturing firearm available to drop a bear, but folks will continue to argue about how nothing short of a .700 Nitro Express is adequate for the illusive, one-ton Kodak Camera Polar Bears who roam the frozen wastelands of Alaska, high on cocaine from all that Coca-Cola they're always guzzling.

Reactions: BangBang

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Don't just stamp the kid's man card paid; if the gun he's holding in the picture is the one he carried, he gets the platinum card for running a pump.

Reactions: jtg452 and BigBlue

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Don't just stamp the kid's man card paid; if the gun he's holding in the picture is the one he carried, he gets the platinum card for running a pump.
I didn't know anything but a pump as a kid. Daisy mode 125, Benjamin pump, Winchester 62A,
Ithaca model 37 16 gauge.​

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I didn't know anything but a pump as a kid. Daisy mode 125, Benjamin pump, Winchester 62A,
Ithaca model 37 16 gauge.​
And which one did you take down a charging brown bear with?

Reactions: jtg452

·
Premium Member
13,319 Posts
Whoever taught this boy to shoot deserves a lot of the praise. The fact that he was familiar with his shotgun saved his life. This encounter is certainly something about which he'll be telling his grandchildren.

Reactions: Ickthus and 230JHP

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
And which one did you take down a charging brown bear with?
Brown bear we don't have but danger we do, wild boar.
The Model 37 with no.1 buckshot. I was 12. It was my first deer hunt. The male piney woods rooter dress out at 376lbs and had 7 1/2 inch tusks. It charged me from heavy cover of a bottom. Only one pellet of the 32 pellets from the two shots got passed the hide into the spine and broke him down. Buck shot has been known to bounce off hogs down here. The dogs were close and got on him. Jim put a slug behind his ear after we got most of the dogs caught up. The brush is so thick here north of the coast we use short leg dogs like beagles. Larger red beagles for deer and little lemon spot beagles for rabbits. You don't run game down like a large walker hound, trig, blue tick or black and tan will but just get them moving out of the bottom. You put hand full of guys around a hollow and one or two guys take the little dogs into the bottom and push them out. The dogs and drivers rarely see the game. The deer don't have to run as beagles don't move fast on short legs. Never look where you hear the dogs. The deer are way out in front moving rather slow and stealthy. We call it slipping.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Brown bear we don't have but danger we do, wild boar.
The Model 37 with no.1 buckshot. I was 12. It was my first deer hunt. The male piney woods rooter dress out at 376lbs and had 7 1/2 inch tusks. It charged me from heavy cover of a bottom. Only one pellet of the 32 pellets from the two shots got passed the hide into the spine and broke him down. Buck shot has been known to bounce off hogs down here. The dogs were close and got on him. Jim put a slug behind his ear after we got most of the dogs caught up. The brush is so thick here north of the coast we use short leg dogs like beagles. Larger red beagles for deer and little lemon spot beagles for rabbits. You don't run game down like a large walker hound, trig, blue tick or black and tan will but just get them moving out of the bottom. You put hand full of guys around a hollow and one or two guys take the little dogs into the bottom and push them out. The dogs and drivers rarely see the game. The deer don't have to run as beagles don't move fast on short legs. Never look where you hear the dogs. The deer are way out in front moving rather slow and stealthy. We call it slipping.
But it's just sad that Ol' Yeller had to die.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts