1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance after work to fire some of my 10mm loads at some water jugs
Glock G20SF 10mm, 180gr Hornady XTP, Hodgdons Longshot CCI 350 primers,1300 fps
4 one gallon jugs shot from 7yds
first 2 jugs were gone 3rd and 4th jugs had projectile complete pass through (bullet was never recovered)
I plan to use this set up as my hunting side arm,I also CC this too. I'm thinking may be a bit too much for a BG self defense gun
ballistics gel would be more scientific.... but blowing up jugs is real fun :D

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I should try some water jugs.
HEB. Heh,heh.
We lived in San Antonio when I was at Kelly AFB.
Valley Hi to be exact.
I could walk to the back gate of Lackland.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Nothing is too much for a BG..ha. Just kidding you realize, collateral damage is a real threat with a 10mm. I've got to start saving my jugs!

·
Super Moderator
13,825 Posts
Nothing is too much for a BG..ha. Just kidding you realize, collateral damage is a real threat with a 10mm. I've got to start saving my jugs!
I learn a lot in this forum just from reading, and the context. The popular calibers are .22, 9mm, .40, and .45. I know the not-so-popular 10mm comes between 9mm and .40. The conversation seems to indicate that 10mm is a rather hot round with more penetration than I might think it has? Thanks. I'm filing all this information away under "possible future purchases."

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you realize, collateral damage is a real threat with a 10mm.
That is what i was thinking exactly.... I live in apartment.... even out in public...
Its a perfect woods gun which is what i want it for but, just watching how those jugs reacted made realize about innocent bystanders and barriers
but then again its a 10mm....... :cool: My 40 & 45 Mil Pro's are never far behind

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts
Wish you had 5 jugs, :D I would like to see what the bullet looks like, a fifth one might have held it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
5th might have. You should retry it if you can. If it happens the same way again, I think you may want to lower the charge! At that rate you might as well use FMJ! :p

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Just about any decent SD round will do a number on jug #1, but it looks like the 10mm tore up #2 pretty good too. To me that suggests a SERIOUS energy transfer. I'm thinkin' that thing would put a hole in someone big enough to walk through. I'm with Josh - I'd put up a fifth jug. I'd also hang some denim on jug #1 just to make sure your projectiles aren't prone to clogging. Almost any hollow point will expand when all they encounter is a thin piece of plastic and clear water, but they won't all do it when they encounter cloth. And since most BG's wear clothing, it only seems prudent to test through cloth. Particularly with the power the 10mm is displaying. If one of those hollow points goes fmj on you, it's going to penetrate a LOT of stuff behind the target.

And just as a point of reference - my PT145 will launch a 200 gr gold dot +P at an average velocity of 906 fps and it penetrated four jugs. It actually poked a hole in #5, but fell back into #4. And that was passing through four layers of denim.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
For some reason it reminds me of platter charges we made on a demo range when I was in the Army. We attached the c4/steel plate to a 55 gallon drum lined up with additional drums to see how many it would go through before it stopped. Ah, those were the good days.......

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wish you had 5 jugs, :D I would like to see what the bullet looks like, a fifth one might have held it.
sounds like a request.... I got 7 jugs... I go to work Sunday.... :icon_ rocker:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I learn a lot in this forum just from reading, and the context. The popular calibers are .22, 9mm, .40, and .45. I know the not-so-popular 10mm comes between 9mm and .40. The conversation seems to indicate that 10mm is a rather hot round with more penetration than I might think it has? Thanks. I'm filing all this information away under "possible future purchases."
I think with a moderate load it should be okay.... but the 10mm is a hotrod.... lol

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
5th might have. You should retry it if you can. If it happens the same way again, I think you may want to lower the charge! At that rate you might as well use FMJ! :p
WOW!! certainly NOT!!----:eek:
people that own and shoot 357 Sigs, 38 Supers and 10 MM's would never even consider such a drastic measure!-:hail:
thats like owning a 1911 in 9MM, OPPPPS!!
sorry! that slipped out!!-LOL

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
WEEEE! let the fun begin!!
When I shoot a water jug with my 41 Mag with the hunting loads the jug just kind of disappear, normally where it was sitting would be almost dry it moved so much energy!-LOL
for self defense i would look at some of the lighter weight 40 cal defense loads, bet they would expand well.
I shot some 115 grain Gold Dots out of my 38 Super and shall we say they expanded pretty well at about 1400 plus FPS!-LOL
you will just need to custom load the right projectile for defense carry, build it and they will come!

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
HMM?? I guess you are talking semi auto calibers???
as to popularity you are likely right!
but if talking power in commercially available calibers the 10 mm is top cat, then the 357 Sig, the 38 super, the 40 cal, the 45 acp, then the 9mm and 380, 32 , 22 LR, 25 auto..
I don't know if the 10 mm or 357 sig is any more popular than the 38 super, mostly due to availablity of ammo and cost of the ammo.

·
Registered
27,338 Posts
Penetration is as much a matter of bullet design as anything else. Unfortunately Hornady doesn't publish their design velocity (at least that I've found), but their factory load is rated at 1180 fps from a 5" barrel. It seems like 1300 should be close enough; it's about 10% higher.
I kind of remember reading somewhere that a gallon water jug was about equal to 4" of ballistic gelatin. I don't know how accurate that is, but that would equate to 16" penetration, which is probably too much. I think you need to blow up more water jugs and do more testing. It would be nice to see the bullet.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I've got six 1 gallon jugs to set up tomorrow.
I'm going to shoot a Hornady 124gr 9mm. XTP at 7 yards and see what damage gets done.
I'll do a video and post it on youtube.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Okeedokee!
Shot some water jugs.
Videos posted on youtube.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts