Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a question probably only an engineer would ask: If you put a spacer inside your regular magazine so it would only accept 10 rounds, would that make you legal in those states that limit magazine capacity? I got the idea thinking about the shotgun magazine plugs required for certain hunting conditions. One thing I think I know abut that is the plug must not be removable without disassembly (from a post about the Rossi Circuit Judge on this forum). A spacer inside the magazine would require magazine disassembly to remove the restriction.

If that wouldn't do it, what does Taurus do to make a 10 round magazine for a 24/7, for example? Do they have a special follower? I don't want to have to buy one to find out if I can help it.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
That's quite a good question. My understanding is that the ones that have been designed/modified to hold only ten rounds cannot be easily changed on purpose. I had a Chinese Uzi copy a few years ago, and it had some kind of limiter in it that held it to ten round or something like that. I tried to break things down to make it a thirty rounder and wound up destroying the magazine. However, there is likely someone around here who has a better handle on this question and can give a better answer....

·
Super Moderator
21,453 Posts
There different mags with different springs as far as I know.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Here is a question probably only an engineer would ask: If you put a spacer inside your regular magazine so it would only accept 10 rounds, would that make you legal in those states that limit magazine capacity? I got the idea thinking about the shotgun magazine plugs required for certain hunting conditions. One thing I think I know about that is the plug must not be removable without disassembly (from a post about the Rossi Circuit Judge on this forum). A spacer inside the magazine would require magazine disassembly to remove the restriction.

If that wouldn't do it, what does Taurus do to make a 10 round magazine for a 24/7, for example? Do they have a special follower? I don't want to have to buy one to find out if I can help it.
Many of the magazines sold in the restrictive states (like CA) MUST be permanently modified to prevent loading more than 10 rounds. MANY of the makers have a base (floorplate) and metal body that is only 10 rounds long, but the remainder of the magazine (below the floorplate) is solid plastic.

Note the Ruger 10 round magazine (below) that is limited to 10 rounds, while the normal factory magazines for the SAME pistols in other states holds 15 rounds. Note how the construction of the magazine absolutely prevents the mag from holding >10 rounds.

Ruger Magazine Ruger P89, P93, P94, P95 9mm Luger 10-Round Stainless Steel

815763.jpg

----------

Magazine for SAME models sold in OTHER states:
Ruger Magazine Ruger P89, P93, P94, P95, PC9 9mm Luger 15-Round Stainless Steel
913553.jpg

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Many of the magazines sold in the restrictive states (like CA) MUST be permanently modified to prevent loading more than 10 rounds. MANY of the makers have a base (floorplate) and metal body that is only 10 rounds long, but the remainder of the magazine (below the floorplate) is solid plastic.

Note the Ruger 10 round magazine (below) that is limited to 10 rounds, while the normal factory magazines for the SAME pistols in other states holds 15 rounds. Note how the construction of the magazine absolutely prevents the mag from holding >10 rounds.

Ruger Magazine Ruger P89, P93, P94, P95 9mm Luger 10-Round Stainless Steel

View attachment 24859

----------

Magazine for SAME models sold in OTHER states:
Ruger Magazine Ruger P89, P93, P94, P95, PC9 9mm Luger 15-Round Stainless Steel

View attachment 24860
Good on ya TD -- I think that you clarified the question nicely! :thumb:

·
Registered
138 Posts
While in the military, I PCSed to a state that had a 10-round handgun magazine limit and mandatory registration. As my guns were on my PCS shipment paperwork, I had to register them within 3 (I think) days. My only pistol at the time was a S&W 669 with 2 x 12 round magazines. I didn't have time to get "legal" magazines, so I made some plastic plugs and put them under the springs so only 9 rounds would fit. When I brought the in to be registered, the police officer said "You know this has to permanent, right?" I honestly answered "Yes" because I did know that. He smiled, I smiled, he signed the paperwork and I was good to go.

·
Registered
612 Posts
man, I look at limited round capacity magazines like 2/3 beer.. you will just have to drink more to acquire the same effect. I.E more reloads. now maybe if they actually limit the amount of magazines you are allowed to own per firearm, would there be some sort of significant impact.. chalk it up as another useless and pointless anti-gun law.

oh as in not to get off topic.
Perhaps some Compound epoxy would make it permanent..

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a sw sigma .40 and it can come with a10 or 14 round mag. Mine has the 10 rounders and there is a notch pressed into the sides to keep the follower from going farther into the body and allow extra round in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts