Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up a few years ago. A used 10/22 in an ATI stock along with the original hardwood stock. Never really cared for the way it looked in black plastic.

P1020056z.jpg

The original stock had a few dings and a thick coat of O.D. varnish over a gun oil soaked wood. I scraped the varnish off down to the wood using a piece of glass and my pocket knife, then washed the stock in denatured alcohol to wash off any oily residuals.
P1100397.JPG

I wanted this to be a little bit different from a run of the mill 10/22, so I lopped off the pistol grip and stained the wood bright red with water based aniline dye. Light sanding was followed by several coats of Krylon satin acrylic spray bomb.
P1100405.JPG

The straight grip feels great. Now all it needs is another heel plate screw, barrel band and maybe a small red dot on top.
P1100415.JPG

The leftovers wouldn't even make a decent boat oar.
P1100416.JPG

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Nice. I don't care for most plastic stocks, but I really like the Hogue I put on my 10/22, classic lines with a weather resistant grippy stock.

That English grip makes your gun have a unique profile. I like it. :D

Reactions: Lomax

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
BTW, I would have sanded out or cut off the barrel band part and left the barrel band off it. You gain a bit of accuracy without it. :D

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
I like what you did on that wooden stock! It's a unique design that I find reminiscent of the old Winchester lever action rifles (no heel). Good job, and thanks for sharing with us. I'll keep it in mind in case I ever come across an old 10/22 needing a home.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
The straight or "English" stock makes for a quick pointing rifle. It was used in, and still is, English cut fowling pieces, shotguns, for upland hunting. It points faster from port arms, slightly. But, the difference is minuscule compared to a modern shotgun IMHO. The look is a might unique, though. If you look at traditional SxS shotguns, old ones or expensive new ones like the new Savage branded, Connecticut arms manufactured Fox, they'll usually sport a straight stock. It ain't the old Winchester lever guns that started it. :D

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/a-grade

Reactions: Yissnakk and Lomax

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like what you did on that wooden stock! It's a unique design that I find reminiscent of the old Winchester lever action rifles (no heel). Good job, and thanks for sharing with us. I'll keep it in mind in case I ever come across an old 10/22 needing a home.
Straight stocks were the norm at the turn of the century. I favor them over a pistol grip. Reading an old Gun Kink('69) on stocks, the writer spoke of light weight, large bore hunting carbine he'd built with a fancy Monte Carlo stock with pistol grip. In an old magazine article he'd posed with the carbine twice, once with the grip, then after whittling the wood into a straight stock. He said it handled better in the field and generated a lot of mail from puzzled readers. Well after reading that article and seeing the straight stock on my 7 mm Mauser carbine, I chose to straighten out this 10/22. It's stock is definitely out of the norm considering all of the evil black looking .22's on the market.

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
I saw one of the old 10/22 several months back with the full Mannlicher(spelling?) stock, I should have bought it!
I passed up on a Sig trailside with long barrel and adjustable sights about 2 years back that I should have picked up as well.
Kicked myself for not getting them later.
anyway the 10/ 22 is almost as bad a the At-15 for after market parts.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I actually have that ati stock and used it for a good many years. My 10/22 is a special edition high gloss stainless steel with a 22" barrel and no barrel band originally in a birch(?) checkered stock. Those familiar with it might know it was one of the "Wal-Mart special" production runs that were only available for 3 or 4 years, and guess what it runs as good or better than any other 10/22. Anyways I liked the ati stock when I was younger because I didn't have to worry about dinging it up. I put a stainless scope on it and a stainless muzzle break on the barrel which I thought made it look similar to a Draugnov and definitely gained attention from others. I recently went back to the original stock because I fell back in love with the look of the wood, and even still it gains attention whenever I take it out at the range or gravel pit.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
I like those aftermarket M1 Carbine 10/22 conversions. If I had a blued 10/22, I might be tempted to dress it up as a M1 Carbine. But, I do have a .22 caliber M1 Carbine already...Chiappa.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I was contemplating removing the scope mount so I could just use the irons.

During the 1st scope mount attempt, a screw had marred the receiver. Loctite was used judiciously to join the screws, mount and receiver as one unit. The mounting screws were in tight, so I hit the mount with a heat gun to loosen the glued up mess. For fear of scoring paint, Loctite residuals still remain.

Then with great timing, the mail lady dropped off some gun parts. The two screws on the right were wrong and the new barrel band looks kinda cheesy.

I found a heel plate screw that fits.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was contemplating removing the scope mount so I could just use the irons. During the 1st scope mount attempt, a screw had marred the receiver. Loctite was used judiciously to join the screws, mount and receiver as one unit. The mounting screws were in tight, so I hit the mount with a heat gun to loosen the glued up mess. For fear of scoring paint, Loctite residuals still remain.
View attachment 415978

Then with great timing, the mail lady dropped off some gun parts. The two screws on the right were wrong and the new barrel band looks kinda cheesy.
View attachment 415986

I found a heel plate screw hiding inside of this old Stevens.
View attachment 415994

That's a plus.
View attachment 416002

1 - 16 of 16 Posts