Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally made it to the range after about 3 months of overtime at work. I was able to finish off the remaining 300 rounds in my 24/7Pro 45 to make 10,000 rounds in just over a year. I started this test in Aug. of last year putting as many rounds as I could through it each range trip. I put about 500 rounds every other week through this thing and I had 0 fails of any kind from the gun. I did have about 15-20 primers that did not go off from the 6000 reloads I used and 2 or 3 that failed to feed because the bullets were seated to far into the casing. The other 4000 rounds were 90% Blazer Brass and a few boxes of WWB and Remington FMJ and a few boxes here and there of different JHP. I had a blast shooting the 9000 or so rounds as some of the 10,000 were shot by my wife or freinds of mine. They did not experience any fails either. I dropped the gun off with my Smith so he could break is down further then just a field strip and do a good cleaning on it and let me know if he sees anything that might be worn out or need replacing. Im not sure what else you guys might want to know so Ill end it here and leave it open for questions ;)

·
32,528 Posts
We'll leave this here for now as it can be looked at as a mechanical pistol or ammo related thread.Since this is a 24/7 gun and others will see this more than at other boards, this is better left where it is.

·
Administrator
17,799 Posts
Congratulations, Also! Quite an achievement! ;D :D

Items I would replace for preventative maintenance are:

1.) Recoil Spring Assembly for .45
2.) Firing Pin/Striker Spring
3.) Magazine Springs

Note: Examine Barrel/Chamber Throat for wear. If excessively worn, replace.
If not, no worries! Another way of assessing Barrel Wear is to chronograph the same Ammo thru another 24/7 and the subject 24/7. If the difference is excessive (more that 30 fps), change it out.

Everything else should be good to go on shooting!

·
Registered
539 Posts
That is a very cool, thanks for the information MPanova. It's a cool accomplishment. I don't put most of my guns through that much use, but my first gun, a Glock 19 did have around 10,000 rounds put through it in about two years with no glitches either. I used mostly Wolf ball ammo, Winchester white box, American Eagle and a couple of other cheap brands interspersed with hollow points of various manufacturers. I replaced the barrel some time ago (after ~5000) and the recoil spring recently. It's always nice to see someone really push their firearm and report on it that isn't necessarily involved with the company or a gun magazine ect.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did order a few replacment mag springs from wolf. I will also order a new Recoil Spring Assembly from Taurus this week just to be safe and the striker spring since they are cheap. I should hear something from my Smith this week and see if he thinks anything else should be replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts