Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I took the dive and had my gun shop order me an Anderson Arms stripped lower. He only charged me 50 dollars, tax included. He has metal 30rd mags for $10 a piece so I got two of those. Can anyone give me a good place to get cheap lower parts kits? I found a lot of kits online, but does anyone have any they recommend. This is going to be a very BUDGET oriented build. I am trying to get the best deals on parts possible. Also, can anyone tell me if its cheaper to get an upper without barrel and everything, or buy the complete upper? I found AERO Precision uppers made from the same 7075 as my lower for $75 that already have dust covers and forward assists installed.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
15,075 Posts
PSA for parts kits ( upper would be called the upper build kit). I would go with an Anderson upper as they tend to be matched a bit better. Start planning on what type of AR you want to build. Sure you can change colors or parts, etc. but have a general idea of the AR that YOU want. Another source of misc parts is Ebay. Remember, we do require Pics of your build log.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Super Moderator
13,913 Posts
Ditto, go with Anderson Arms for your stripped upper. Rumor has it that that's what is sitting somewhere in my house, waiting for the funds to complete my own build. For your internal parts I also recommend Palmetto State Armory. There are a lot of very good step-by-step You Tube videos available to help you put it all together, unless you have already received personal instruction courtesy of one of Uncle Sam's Department of Defense branches. Congratulations, you're going to have fun!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was the main place I was looking for a LPK was PSA. I just wondered if I should get a stripped upper and get the UPK/LPK combo kit. I may look into the Anderson upper to match my lower. Thanks everyone.

Oh, and Jeeper, that is where the title came from. It's kinda how I see this build going. Just as I get the money grab a part or part kit and build.

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
For a budget build you can go with a complete upper pretty cheap right now, some come with charging handles some don't. Most don't come with the Bolt Carrier Group. If you want specific features in your upper in the long run it is usually cheaper to build what you want the first time instead of getting a complete upper, changing the charging handle, then changing the flash hider, oh and I really want this rail.

I really like the CMMG lower parts kits, they can be found on sale often and are decent for the money.

I have been working on my second build for at least 6 months now, just order what I find on sale as I have the funds and try to take advantage of free shipping deals or combining a couple items from the same supplier to save on shipping. Hopefully I will have this one done in a month or two then I can start on my .308 AR-10 I want to build. That one may take a while as parts are more $$$ generally speaking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plan on this taking me a while to build. Just picking up some pieces here and there. Like you, looking for sales and free shipping deals. I found the Anderson stripped upper for 39 plus 11 shipping. So that or my LPK will be my next purchase.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
21,118 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, its here. I will probably get the lpk/upk combo from PSA friday. Then buy the anderson stripped upper next.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, so my super budget build is going okay. I have my lower completed, including buffer and stock. Im picking up my upper in the morning and my BCG is shipping tomorrow. New to ar question, what else do I need to finish my gun? Barrel, gas block, gas tube, upper parts kit (includes barrel nut, FA, dust cover, delta ring.) And charging handle. Am I missing anything?

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
Sounds about right. Some things to note:

Make sure gas tube length matches gas system length on barrel. (Carbine, mid, Rifle)

Make sure gas block is same diameter as the barrel.

Depending on the hand guard you go with you may not need the delta rings and standard barrel nut, some come with their own barrel nut that needs to be used.

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
More, if you are getting a threaded barrel you will need a muzzle device and crush washer. Also don't forget sights, if barrel comes with a front sight post you just need a rear sight.

One a side note, my BCG will be here Monday, and the last thing I need other then a red dot scope is the hand guard and barrel not. Since I am getting a free float hand guard it will come with the barrel nut. Have it picked out, just need to save a little $$$ up for it. Looks like I may only be a few weeks away from my second complete build. :)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I got a CMMG complete upper WITH the BCG and charging handle at my LGS for $299 for my build. My LBK was CMMG as well and it has worked well so far.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just finished my third build and found many of the parts on Ebay of all places. Just do your homework and make sure you are getting the quality parts you want. Anderson Arms seems to be the best pricing for uppers and lowers lately. I personally prefer uppers without a forward assist and dust cover. It saves weight and I have never used either of these parts. The uppers are less expensive this way also.

·
Registered
15,075 Posts
Once you pick the caliber/barrel you want, start buying Ammo and mags. I would also look for companies selling blems (blemished items). The cost reductions are generally between 30-60% of normal costs.
I know for my barrel, it was normally $169 (MAS Defense, 16" Mid length .223 wylde M4 profile) and I got it for $79. My most expensive item was the matched Anderson upper and 80% lower. I paid 125 for that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just bought a factory built Anderson AR-15. I think the fit, finish and overall quality are great. They also offer many of their parts online at a very good price. Once I get mine customized I may do a build from their upper and lower with a 1/9 twist. The one I just bought is a 5.56 1/7 twist.
Here is their link.
Rick

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ive already bought 200rd of 223 and 3 mags lol. I am getting a free floating hand guard with barrel nut included. I did forget the muzzle break. Im getting an andersom 556 carbine barrel for $82 off their site. Just collecting parts and saving money

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well, minus my red dot I want, i finished my budget AR for exactly 420 dollars. Not bad for a coyote/shtf AR on a budget.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo
1 - 19 of 19 Posts