Taurus Firearm Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,967 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
There are night vision systems that are useful indoors? I'd have thought the minimum focus distance on the optic would render them useless.

As for me, big dogs let us know when we should wake up, and I have ready access to a flashlight and my double stack 1911. 15 rounds of 230 grain feels heavy in your hand. In a really good way. I've gone out to check a noise a couple of times.
I like the dog for the noise and his hearing ability. He can hear the ice maker in the kitchen downstairs. I dabble in NDT and thermography has become a fascination. Infrared and night vision is a blast to play around with. While still a bit pricy, there are some goggles that do pretty well indoors.

·
22,733 Posts
NDT as in nondestructive testing?

Ah, goggles, yes! How do they work with the sights? Laser?

·
Registered
100 Posts
If someone broke in and so much as hurt one of our dogs, much less killed them, I'd be incandescent with rage. Cleaning up after my wife finished tearing them to pieces with her bare hands would take weeks. I can see myself now, trying to decide whether I can afford to just replace all the outlets, or do have I have take a toothbrush and clean the guts out of the little slots... And can you turn on a ceiling fan before you get the brains off the blades, or will that screw up the balance?

Seriously, if someone breaks in an steals the TV, meh. Defend and call the police. It's stuff. If they hurt one of the dogs, it's gonna get ugly.
Wouldn't be happy about it but I don't see a scenario where I open my bedroom door which would expose me to the room where the dogs are. I don't know how many and what they're armed with.

My wife hates sharing the bed with the mooses so we keep the door closed rather than her kick the dogs out of bed. The minute I leave they get up and she doesn't have the heart to tell them down so I'm the bad guy who kicks them out. I've warned my wife that meth heads killing the dogs would be a good possibility if we had intruders. If I just heard one punk screaming and crying because the dogs attacked him I'd open the door but I'd have to be sure. Now I think about it, it'd only take a few cameras to cover most of my house. Open floor plan. That would allow me to get a good idea of what I'm dealing with on the other side of the door. They're so cheap anymore. Thanks, you may have just saved my best friends life!

·
22,733 Posts
Wouldn't be happy about it but I don't see a scenario where I open my bedroom door which would expose me to the room where the dogs are. I don't know how many and what they're armed with.

My wife hates sharing the bed with the mooses so we keep the door closed rather than her kick the dogs out of bed.
We know exactly how many dogs there are, and what they're armed with. :cool: The only furniture our dogs don't get onto is the kitchen cabinets. I usually have to move a dog or two so I can get into bed. 😁

·
Registered
27,530 Posts
I would never put down on paper (screen?) what MY plan is. I am perfectly happy to discuss what I think a good plan would be.
  1. Secure the perimeter. Doors locked, alarm system.
  2. Cell phone by the bed because alarm system has taken over the land line to call police.
  3. Firearm available.
  4. Discussions with family members so that they have a "safe-ish" place where I can find them, and to define safe-ish zones of fire. (Note: steps 1-4 occur well before the incident.)
  5. Call out loudly, explain that:
    1. You are armed.
    2. The police have been called.
  6. Wait behind cover, armed, watching access point to bedroom area for police to arrive.
That sounds like a plan.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Burglar alarm. G2 with extended magazine in my nightstand. My wife has a 257 with laser sight in her nightstand. I take point in the hallway, she stays behind the bed armed and making the call to 911.

·
Registered
15,006 Posts
I would never put down on paper (screen?) what MY plan is. I am perfectly happy to discuss what I think a good plan would be.
  1. Secure the perimeter. Doors locked, alarm system.
  2. Cell phone by the bed because alarm system has taken over the land line to call police.
  3. Firearm available.
  4. Discussions with family members so that they have a "safe-ish" place where I can find them, and to define safe-ish zones of fire. (Note: steps 1-4 occur well before the incident.)
  5. Call out loudly, explain that:
    1. You are armed.
    2. The police have been called.
  6. Wait behind cover, armed, watching access point to bedroom area for police to arrive.
That sounds like a plan.
Can't agree with 5 and 6 as with 5, announcing gives away the advantage of surprise. This will put the BGs on defense and if armed, they will shoot anything that moves. The first "announcement" should be the report of your firearm discharging. With 6, I don't agree with it due to my personal environment. We have people at opposite sides of the house so there is no common concealment area to allow watching everything. I would have to move to give myself a better vantage point which could mean immediate confrontation and engagement.

·
Registered
27,530 Posts
Can't agree with 5 and 6 as with 5, announcing gives away the advantage of surprise. This will put the BGs on defense and if armed, they will shoot anything that moves. The first "announcement" should be the report of your firearm discharging. With 6, I don't agree with it due to my personal environment. We have people at opposite sides of the house so there is no common concealment area to allow watching everything. I would have to move to give myself a better vantage point which could mean immediate confrontation and engagement.
I'm shooting from concealment, additionally this assumes the perp is still in another part of the house.If they're already in the room, I would agree. However, if I can terminate the encounter without terminating the perp, I'm good with that. I have seen enough violence that I know I would have to deal with more PTSD... and I don't want to.

Reactions: lmichael

·
Registered
15,006 Posts
I'm shooting from concealment, additionally this assumes the perp is still in another part of the house.If they're already in the room, I would agree. However, if I can terminate the encounter without terminating the perp, I'm good with that. I have seen enough violence that I know I would have to deal with more PTSD... and I don't want to.
Please don't misunderstand me. One of the last things I want to do is end a human life, but that also means MY life. If thugs value my possessions more than they do their own lives, who am I to argue with them? The PTSD aspect doesn't bother me as I've seen way too much senseless death in my life. If the death is earned then It'll bother me even less.

·
Registered
367 Posts
First, if someone is breaking into a residence in the middle of the night, they are doing so knowing the majority of residences are occupied. Secondly, it doesn't matter if the intruder is armed or not as the threat to harm was made when they forcibly crossed the threshold be it window or door.

The intruder is now threatening me and mine bent on taking of which he did not earn or work. We have both attended shooting schools recently as well as what I was trained to do professionally. I sure hope and pray it never happens.

However, I will have no PTSD from shooting someone...the last time was 1985 prior to working homicide for 16 years. The only dead body which will upset me is my wife's. I will defend her.

·
Premium Member
13,315 Posts
My doors all have dead bolts and a Nightlock so no one is kicking in my doors. My windows all have locks so the only way in is to break a window. My German Shepherd is a very light sleeper and lets me know if anything makes a noise. Lately I've been sleeping with my Sig M11-A1 on the night stand along with a spare mag and Eagtac flashlight. I'd have my wife get down on the far side of the bed and call 911, explaining that I'm armed, what we're wearing and where we are. I would wait behind the door jamb at the ready.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
642 Posts
"The only dead body which will upset me is my wife's. I will defend her."

I would have add to that list any of the "Ratters" (Dogs & Cogs) that stalk the house and sleep in the bed. :)

Reactions: Old_Sp5

·
Super Moderator
27,040 Posts
This happened to be, reported on here many moons ago.
Neighbor from across the street (junkie) started pounding on my door (locked, with reinforced jamb) he still got the door moving 3"-4". Got daughter and dog into our bathroom and called the Sheriff. Dispatch said it would be a while. She could hear the pounding over the phone. She told me to stay on the phone to keep her informed. I was sitting on my bed with the discontinued 24/7 and 2 spare mags, 51 rounds in total. Dispatch asked me if I could see the "banger" I told her that I had looked through the peep hole and told her it was........the neighbor from across the street.Gave her his name as well. I told her I was armed. Her words: "I cannot comment on that sir, but you do what you feel you have to!". 4 sheriffs arrived after 17 minutes, guns drawn and started shouting at him to put the weapon down, etc. They got him cuffed and into a cruiser. Dispatch then told me that a deputy would be knocking on my door and identifying himself. I put my gun on the table , mag out and showing empty with the slide racked back. Let my hysterical daughter and even more hysterical dog out, and kept them in the bedroom, with the door closed, as the deputy knocked. I knew the deputy from other encounters with the neighbor. He asked to see my weapon, showed it to him, and he admired my choice of ammo. Went outside to write a statement etc. And they drove him off. One deputy was screaming at the neighbor, things like " You very stupid person, you could have been on the receiving end of some hollow point bullets. Well that wasn't quite what he said but you get my drift.
He was Baker Acted again, (Florida Mental Health Act - Wikipedia) that made it time #4!
Anyway that was it. One deputy congratulated me on not shooting him.
They left and I let daughter and dog out. 20 mins later a detective showed up and asked a few more questions.
My heart was pounding and I had to pour a glass of wine for me.
Along the same lines as a previous poster wrote......... At a Citizens Police Academy I went to, one of the classes was based on Florida's "Stand Your Ground act". A guy asked about a similar instance. The Sgt Deputy said "If you shoot him outside the house, make sure that you drag him inside before you call us. Try not to leave bloody drag tracks, dead give away!"
Strangely enough, one of the major, repeating thoughts that went through my head as I was watching the door, slam back and forth..... "How do I get rid of the blood from the walls and carpet? Is there space on the little bit of tiled floor by the front door?"
But it all went well. I didn't have to fire thank God. Daughter calmed down and so did the dog.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Pretty sure more than a few of our neighbors would be outside handling the problem as well as on the phone with us if something like this happened. We live rather rurally and several of the gun people in the area watch out for the others to keep them from both four legged and two legged predators. We do not have many of the latter but we do have quite a few of the former.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's 3:00 in the morning and suddenly you're awake. You hear the back window slide up, and the slow creaking of the floorboard in the hallway. Someone just broke into your house.

What gun are you reaching for? What's your plan?
I keep a loaded Taurus G3C on my nightstand. -- I sometimes wonder why..............I take my hearing aids out when I go to bed and I am a sound sleeper. The burglar could clean me out an I wouldn't know it. I should have never declawed my cat. :D

·
Registered
Own two G3’s
1 Posts
It's 3:00 in the morning and suddenly you're awake. You hear the back window slide up, and the slow creaking of the floorboard in the hallway. Someone just broke into your house.

What gun are you reaching for? What's your plan?
Hi, I kinda with all the dog owners, we have four large, loud dogs. Like others, they hear everything. Going forward both my wife and I have 9mm in bedside nightstands. These are to get us downstairs, where there are two more 9mm's, about 20 loaded JHP magazines plus a loaded 12ga shotgun. We have Two Taurus G3, one Taurus G3c plus a Smith & Wesson EZ slide.
Besides dogs, we also depend on ATD security.

I do have a recommendation for addition security, we have the ring video doorbell that senses motion and records. These Ring doorbells work off a rechargeable battery, so I bought two more and mounted in by backyard, because of blind spots from all house windows. So now I have full view of everything outside, plus the Ring system can record everything

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm an apartment dweller. Uninvited guests are going to be met with my Maverick88 12 gauge loaded with #4 birdshot. Bedrooms are on the second floor and it's a clear shot down the stairs. I run #4 birdshot because I actually do like my neighbors.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts