Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Administrator
40,090 Posts
Glock 19 with 16 rounds on my night stand. Wife goes to the closet with a phone and calls 911 and stays low to the floor. I have a good place in the bedroom where I can cover the doorway. Anyone that enters won’t leave without some kind of assistance.
I won’t be clearing my house, as I’ve cleared houses and businesses in a past life. I pay taxes for others to do that now.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
sadly i couldn't use anything, i lost them all in a boating accident on jan 20th
So sorry for your loss. We've had so many suffer the same fate, we have a special support group.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I'm now officially an old fart, so I won't clear the place. Years ago, I led that parade. house, office, and shop. quite a number of times., 1911 in one hand and Maglite in the other, but so many tamales and so many years have left unwilling and unable to do that anymore.

Now it is (or would be ) , after the terriers bark the alarm and investigate, grab the S^W 9mm Sigma (147 Federak HST's) for me, the KelTecP\11 for Mrs Flash, She dials 911 while I cover the bedroom doorway which has a full view of the hallway clear to the other end of the house.

Neighbors will hear the racket and cover all the outside areas..He has an English Mastiff/German Shepherd mix who thinks he's my best friend and will jump the fence if John tells him to.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I'd slap a no guns sticker on my bedroom dr,. close and lock it, call 911 and hope and pray that they would get all the way out to my neck of the woods in time. Although it's not a plan I like, I haven't found a double barrel shotgun to buy yet. When I do, I can fire both barrels over the burglars head just like our dear leader advised.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Do You have teenagers?
My Dad almost took Me out a couple of times after a night out with friends.
He called out "Who's there", I responded "Dad, it's Me", thankfully I'm still alive.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
This is assuming they make it past the doberman, husky, chihuahua, Maltese and Jack russell and the cat??

I'd grab my AR pistol beside my nightstand.

But I really don't see anyone having an element of surprise at my place.
I wouldn't depend on a cat to scare off or attack a burglar. I actually had someone try to get in at 3am, and she didn't even try to scare him off. All she did was wake me up and lead me to the part of the house that he was trying to get into.

·
Super Moderator
36,772 Posts
As stated a couple of times, it gets much more complicated with kids or others living in the house. It almost requires a plan and drills like a fire emergency plan.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I would grab my Mossberg 590 Shockwave 12 Gauge, rack a round of 00 Buck into the chamber, flip the safety off and point it at my bedroom door.

The next move is the intruder's.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Do You have teenagers?
My Dad almost took Me out a couple of times after a night out with friends.
He called out "Who's there", I responded "Dad, it's Me", thankfully I'm still alive.
Yours is the best response in the bunch. At the top of the list of my "plan" is to not kill any family members. And yes, I do have teenagers...two of them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
They can walk in, don't lock the doors or window. I hope they have a treat for my Rott and Australian Shepard. The Aussie is the one to watch for but the Rott gets worked up by her getting excited.
While they're killing the dogs...pi**ing me off to no ends, I send my wife to lock herself in the bathroom with her Stephens Security 320 20 gauge and sit in the corner with my Mossberg 500 12 gauge (00 buck for everyone) with my EDC M&P 40c on the table next to me. There will be no warning sound of racking a round into the chamber, every night one is already racked. Can't take the chance of miss racking...I'm old and feeble and in fear for my life your honor. My wife is the one who started sleeping with her shotgun by the bed. Seemed like it couldn't hurt.

·
22,733 Posts
AR and night vision, he'll never know I'm there.
There are night vision systems that are useful indoors? I'd have thought the minimum focus distance on the optic would render them useless.

As for me, big dogs let us know when we should wake up, and I have ready access to a flashlight and my double stack 1911. 15 rounds of 230 grain feels heavy in your hand. In a really good way. I've gone out to check a noise a couple of times.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
22,733 Posts
While they're killing the dogs...pi**ing me off to no ends, I send my wife to lock herself in the bathroom with her Stephens Security 320 20 gauge
If someone broke in and so much as hurt one of our dogs, much less killed them, I'd be incandescent with rage. Cleaning up after my wife finished tearing them to pieces with her bare hands would take weeks. I can see myself now, trying to decide whether I can afford to just replace all the outlets, or do have I have take a toothbrush and clean the guts out of the little slots... And can you turn on a ceiling fan before you get the brains off the blades, or will that screw up the balance?

Seriously, if someone breaks in an steals the TV, meh. Defend and call the police. It's stuff. If they hurt one of the dogs, it's gonna get ugly.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
My wife and I sleep in different rooms as neither of us are easy to sleep with and she keeps very odd hours and has been for many years now. So if I hear something at 3AM I can pretty much guarantee it's her as that's normally the time she's up making coffee. Or it's my father, who has been living here for over half a year now and he gets up and grunts and groans his way to the bathroom a few times every night. Or it's my dog, who runs patrols and bounces back and forth between the bedrooms at all hours. However let's say I hear something that raises alarm bells, something outside the norm. Normally I would tell anyone in that situation to arm themselves, stay put and dial 911, but I don't have that option because it could be so many things attributed to people who live here, so now I need to go looking. We have nightlights on the outlets creating runners and enough light to see by, plus there's always a couple lights on in the house as well, so I don't need a flashlight (although there is one attached to the rail of most of my firearms because it's never a bad idea).

So in this scenario, I have to go looking, and dialing 911 on a noise would make zero sense in my particular situation. I have to keep a calm and cool head regardless of what I hear, because chances are high it's just a loved one up and about. I grab the PT1911 I keep bedside (as well as my phone), I keep the safety on (condition 1 for you folks in the know) and I keep it at my side as I start going room to room until I've discovered the source of my red alert. I had this very situation play out for me about a year ago. I heard a crash about 2AM. I'm a pretty light sleeper and can go from sleep to full focus faster than most. I listened for about 10 seconds, things were very quiet afterward so I grabbed my handgun and in short order made my way to the kitchen only to discover it was my wife up earlier than usual and she had knocked something off the counter that shattered all over the floor.

My house would not be a good target, and honestly anyone at pretty much any time looking at the house could tell that. Although the lights are kept low, it's well lit. We have a dog (used to have 2 and will probably be getting another soon), and there are multiple adults roaming about at all hours, plus they never seem to leave except for one or two of them, and that's only for short errands, shopping, or doctor appointments. But you never know, sometimes the fates decree that something very very unlikely and bad is coming your way, and that's largely why I own a firearm in the first place.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Silence the alarm, speak to the dogs to see what is going on and then turn on the lights outside the bedroom before carefully checking to see who just may be getting a burst from the suppressed Mk-18 or Colt 635 one of which is always near at hand. :cool:

·
Registered
15,006 Posts
Is this a trick question? Naturally you'd grab the musket and the pair of smoothbore flintlock pistols. Tally Ho Lads !

21 - 40 of 67 Posts