Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's 3:00 in the morning and suddenly you're awake. You hear the back window slide up, and the slow creaking of the floorboard in the hallway. Someone just broke into your house.

What gun are you reaching for? What's your plan?

·
Super Moderator
36,744 Posts
The gun on my nightstand that's locked and loaded first, perhaps grabbing the 12 gauge tactical also. Phoning 911 next to advise what has happened, where my wife and I are located in the house and that I am armed and will defend our lives. I stay on the home with my back to the wall with them on the phone, ready for anyone to enter the master bedroom. I am not advancing to meet the threat as I am not trained to do so and the intruder may get off the first shot. Should they walk into the area I'm at, they are the one who will be surprised.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Grab the 12g coach gun next to the bed. Wife goes into the bathroom, closes and locks the door between the bathroom and bedroom and calls 911. Meanwhile, the intruder alarm is going off. I am not moving from in front of the bedroom door. I have the shottie pointed at the bedroom door. As I've grabbed the shottie, I've also have a Taurus 24/7 DS with 17 +1 of Hydra Shok to back up the shottie. I'm not well versed in clearing my house, room to room. I have no idea if there's actually an intruder or if so, how many; if they are armed and if so with what. I don't have a flashlight on any of my guns because I don't want to ruin my night vision. My shottie has one chamber of 00 Buck and one of #4. I chose not to use my AR because it's a little unwieldy. I've chosen my stand, and anyone breaking in and not knowing my house will have a hell of a time getting to me. I've given some thought to this exact situation. I'm no hero. It's been a long time since I've been in combat. I'm old, slow and know my limits. I'll work within those limits. But knowing my limits gives me distinct advantage over any opponent.

·
Registered
36,587 Posts
I am going to call 911 and ask for assistance (after getting off hold because its a Friday night and they are backed up) and wait for the police to show up and talk rudely to the intruder.
after all thats what they are paid to do and why i pay taxes.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,104 Posts
#1 There are no unlocked windows or doors. Therefore they break a window or kick-in a door.

#2. The dog, in the house, is already raising hell. You can't even drive in the driveway without the dog waking the dead.

PT-99 with 16 rounds of hollowpoint and two 15 round mags on the nightstand. The "Judge" is also on the bookshelf outside the bedroom door.

Two choke points between me and the intruder, 10' of hallway and a stairwell with a 90º corner.

The wife can call 911, but it will be over before they get here.

·
Registered
164 Posts
12 gauge under my bed and my .357 mag in the lock box on my nightstand (I still have small children im the house to worry about). Habe the wife grab the baby and get on the floor behind the bed and call 911. Clear the house to get my other kids to a safe position, waking the neighbors if i come accross anyone that shouldn't be there in the process

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Plan? You cant plan for these things.
I will wait for the bulldog to finnsh chewing and then tenderizer with my firearm. Then call the popo for removal. In the morning contact my lawyer to file a claim against the perps family for the replacement ammo, stress and mental anguish for my dog and any damage to property of over penetration from the firearm used. While the case is filed in court i'll start a Go Fund Me for my poor dog to get treatment for the trauma suffered. A few weeks in a rehab in Key West might be ok, of coarse i will have to be there to reassure her and give support.
Chances are that the Perp. was in and out of the court system for years so i'll be suing the courts, school and others for 28 million for their failures and incompetance of letting this scum walk among us unchecked.
I wouldn't call that a plan. Thats just cause and effect.

·
Super Moderator
40,577 Posts
It's 3:00 in the morning and suddenly you're awake. You hear the back window slide up, and the slow creaking of the floorboard in the hallway. Someone just broke into your house.

What gun are you reaching for? What's your plan?
I have plenty of options, I'll choose one at the time if needed. Most likely be the PT-145 or the Mossberg 500.

·
Registered
59 Posts
One of my 2 G series. One is always in my holster and ready the other in the nightstand and ready. Give one to wife and I keep one and dial 911, stay on the line, and wait to see if anyone has the balls to walk in on us. Both loaded with 147gr Federal HST JHP. I doubt anyone would make it through the hail of lead.

·
Administrator
35,506 Posts
I'm not clearing the house. I lock and bolt the bedroom door (which is heavy and reinforced with 3-4 inch screws) while the wife dials 911 and i shoot anybody who tries coming through that door. I have plenty of guns to choose from so I won't bother listing what I would use.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
It's just the wife and I and the 100 lb solid muscle hates everybody except my wife and I dog. We have a garden level basement all windows have bars and doors have security doors. All upstairs windows are out of reach. Even the back door to the garage has a security door.
If someone has made it past all that they've made a ton of noise and wife and I are ready. From our bedroom we can see the top of the stairs and she has the shotgun and I've got the FN FiveseveN with a fourth round mag and one in the pipe. And the police have been notified by the alarm company.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
As others have said, da boyz will have to earn their keep. They ain't just eye candy, in the recliner.

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
When my Bonnie Beast passed away she kinda took the mad pack of dogs image with her. We used to say if someone broke into our house, first they had to get past the dogs (one at a time they were each okay, as a group they got scary). Now we have Sally and Frankie. It’s worse than ever. Along with Moira the three of them get so scary we upped our homeowner’s insurance.
Assuming an intruder survives the terrible trio, then they’d have to face my wife and 34 rounds from her Sig. If by some miracle they get past her, then I get a turn with 36 rounds from a 92.

We aren’t badasses by any stretch of the imagination, and we don’t really have anything in the house worth risking up to 10 years for burglary. We just feel like if the police are going to be photographing any dead bodies when they get here, we rather those bodies not be ours.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
My plan extends far beyond that. There are obstacles to surmount before he even gets to the window, the window isn't easy to open (likely have to break it) there are alarms and motion detected lights.....and worst case, it's all recorded on camera.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
sadly i couldn't use anything, i lost them all in a boating accident on jan 20th

But hypothetically speaking.
You can only get into my house from 2 places, the front on the main level, or the basement in back of the house. to get to that you have to clear a 6ft fence. all entry ways and windows that are accessible from the ground have cameras, lights, and motion sensors covering them. all doors and windows even those you need a ladder for, have sensors, and the inside has motions in many places. So the alarm would be handling any calling of the police. the dogs also would let me know if all of that and its battery and cellular backup somehow failed. one of the dogs barks when a cricket farts across the street so we would be awake well before anyone got in.

·
Registered
14,037 Posts
We had that happen one time some 30 plus years ago. All I had at the time was a pump shotgun with no rounds of ammunition as I headed down the hallway to make sure that I was between whoever broke in and the bedrooms of the house. The kids slept through it, the wife called the sheriff, and I racked that shotgun as loud as I could. By the time I made to the front door it was wide open and no one was around.

Sheriffs dept. arrived about 45 minutes later and give me a little advice, make sure that the body would be found facing the house if an altercation took place out side in the yard.

My how things have changed over the last few decades with criminal rights vs. stand your ground and retreat vs. Castle Law.

So in my old age when liability and social media can be held against you in a court of law, the only thing I will publicly admit to having beside my bed for such an possible event is a clean change of underwear.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts