Make a .45 acp / .45 Colt like the 692
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Make a .45 acp / .45 Colt like the 692

Member #
    Liked
    673 times

Make a .45 acp / .45 Colt like the 692

Been away for awhile but some of you may know of my desire for a .45 Colt Tracker. It boggles my mind that Taurus is not making these. The only thing they are missing from having all of the parts already in production is the cylinder. They are (or were) making .44 mag Trackers. I'm sure that cylinder could be renamed to .45 Colt. They even already have the reamers. Since they are both 5 shot the lockwork would be the same. I would be perfectly happy if they slapped a 4" barrel from a Judge on there. I think I would actually prefer the half lug profile the Judge barrel has. Thinking about it they could even make it like the 692 with a second cylinder in .45 acp. I bet they would sell them as fast as they make them.
    DeltaBravoKS and hombre243 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5163 times
    Considering the shortage of new firearms in the stores and online, I would say they're selling their current line of handguns as fast as they make them.

Member #
    Liked
    673 times
    No doubt whatsoever but at some point this rush will slow and normal sales and new products will come back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2758 times
    Yeah, and they'd sell three of them. No. one shoots 45 colt, or not many people. A box of ammo currently costs 49 bucks.

Member #
    Liked
    673 times
    When Taurus started down their path of innovative revolvers they were trying to shed their budget brand persona and become more recognized to the more knowledgeable shooters out there. That is why they built the Raging Bull in .454. Only the second company to make a factory revolver in .454 and the first to build a double action one. Then there were the mid frame snubs .357, and .45 acp and they were available in Titanium. Taurus also built the first super light snubs. My mom has a model 85 from 97-98 that has an aluminum frame, titanium cylinder, and titanium shroud around a very thin stainless barrel. It weighs about 11 ounces empty. I am saying all of this to say introducing a whole new frame size for a round that was about $2.00 a shot, introducing a new frame size and making those guns out of titanium was a big risk. Making a .45 Colt Tracker when you already have all of the tools and parts available is a small risk by comparison. Not to mention there is no gun like this on the market.

Member #
    Liked
    8545 times
    The .45 Trackers are well respected.

Personally, I would have bought one of each (along with a .44 Special or Magnum) - if they could be had without those stupid ports. These would have been carry guns for me and I refuse to use a ported gun for concealed carry.

Taurus was putting ports on anything and everything in the late '90's and early '00's.

I bought my sister a 2 inch all steel .32Mag around '97 or '98 and it was ported. Why, I have no idea!

The little .32 throws a fireball out of the ports about the size of a basketball. Imagine what something starting with a '4' would be like.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    673 times
    I've looked and looked for a .45 Colt Tracker. My last bid on the last one I found on Gunbroker was $650. It went for over $800. There IS a market for them.

Taurus definitely likes to port stuff. Another thing I would like to see is them offering the guns without the porting. If they charged the same for the unported guns as the ported ones they would make more money on those unported guns.
    jtg452 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8545 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flareside_ford View Post
    I've looked and looked for a .45 Colt Tracker. My last bid on the last one I found on Gunbroker was $650. It went for over $800. There IS a market for them.

Taurus definitely likes to port stuff. Another thing I would like to see is them offering the guns without the porting. If they charged the same for the unported guns as the ported ones they would make more money on those unported guns.
    If the guns are carry sized (which all of the Tracker series except for the 6 inchers are), then why port all of them?

Personally, I've been trained and practice shooting from a retention position that's close to the body and below eye level. With a ported gun, that translates into a face full of fireball. Not exactly what I consider conducive to reasonable accuracy- especially in a self defense situation.

If they were solely going to be used as a field gun (hunting back up or primary, for example) or a range gun, sure, port them all. On the other hand, .45ACP isn't exactly the round that jumps to mind when one hears, 'handgun hunting'. Neither is .45Colt, .44Special or .32Mag.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    673 times
    I don't disagree with you on the porting. I'm just saying that Taurus could satisfy people that want porting and people that don't at no extra cost to them. If the ported and unported guns were priced the same they would actually make a little more on the unported guns. I want an unported 4" gun.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18230 times
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links