Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Rossi 92 Front Sight Brass Bead Fell Off

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45997 times

Rossi 92 Front Sight Brass Bead Fell Off

and is lost. I searched the bag that I brought it to the range in and since I forget the 38 Special rounds, it never left the bag. Looking around the 'net I see that these things fall of with amazing regularity. Has anyone told Taurus? Have they thought about changing the manufacturing process...supplier? This is maddening that they would have an issue that they have know about for years and have not rectified.

Looking at the hole that is supposed to provide support for the brass bead shows their design to be a joke. The pin that would fit in that hole is probably <5% of the mass of the entire bead.

Now I'm stuck...the sight picture sucks without that focal point. To buy a replacement myself will be 30-40 bucks. I'll have to get with Taurus to see what they say, but I am not thinking about that G3C anymore. I may get this Rossi back together, sell it off and buy the Marlin that I should have gotten in the first place.
    silverstring and darbo like this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    12465 times
    I had to use Rossi (braztech) CS Tuesday. Called the 800 number - A nice young lady came on after about 15 mins. My new RS22 WSM has an issue where I can't engage the manual bolt lock after running 5 mags through it. She emailed me a label and I shipped it off to GA yesterday. Maybe send it back, and let them keep it for who knows how long. When it comes back - then sell it off. My R92 didn;t have a problem with the front bead, but I only kept it for about a year.

*For new RS22WSM owners a warning. I would not recommend removing the bolt for maintenance or lube. The bolt lock and actuator are not captured and will fall off when re-installing. The long recoil spring is only about 30% supported by the rod. Just like the old Winchester 190's when setting the recoil spring you have to manually compress the spring a few coils at a time, but even after compressing so the rod is flush with the rear bolt face, you will still have to kink the spring to force the rod into the bolt and seat into the rear wall of the receiver. Seat isn't really the accurate term, there is no preformed cutout to seat the rod into the receiver, it just kinda holds in place with spring tension. They should have used a dual captive recoil spring, but that might have cost a few dollars more.
    Last edited by silverstring; 07-02-2020 at 09:22 AM.
    Czechbikr and jwc007 like this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    I've read about people replacing the brass bead with a fluorescent plastic one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45997 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    I've read about people replacing the brass bead with a fluorescent plastic one.
    I poked around looking for something for sale that I could just LockTite in place in the original sight. No luck yet. One would think that as common as it it, someone would be turning these things out for a few cents and selling them for 5-7 bucks.

I need to get a flashlight and do a thorough search around the safe and floor...it must have fallen out here since it's not in the case and didn't leave the case at the range.
    silverstring likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    12465 times
    Not sure how the bead was mounted, but I have replaced shotgun beads after using taps to widen the hole to a standard size, then putting on beads/FO or other sights.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    24003 times
    I hate it when small parts get lost!

When I've worked on Laptop PC's, losing the really small screws is sometimes an issue. I've had to really be careful with small springs and detents on Guns.

Looking into my Gunsafe, I realized that the Sight Hood on my Mark X Mauser is missing. Those Sight Hoods snap on and off. Too easily, apparently.
    Should I get another Sight Hood, I might just epoxy it in place.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    424 times
    Check for a small brass punch and make a couple out of it.
    Use a really good 2 part epoxy to stick it on.
    Shut up and reload!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45997 times
    I don't have exact dimensions, but an estimate width of the bead is 1/32" x the same length. It is a round barrel shaped piece that has a prong to glue or solder into the steel sight blade. That hole to receive the "prong" or stud is probably 1/64" x 1/32" deep. Clearly not enough surface area to permit an adequate purchase to keep the bead in place. If they send a new complete sight I'll drift out the defective one and install the replacement.

Name:  IMG_20200701_200918.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  2.42 MB

Name:  IMG_20200701_200915.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  2.33 MB

Member #
    Liked
    1790 times
    My old Rossi 65 front sight is milled into the barrel band. Rear sight is a square notched iron.

I'm not a fan of brass inserts in full sunlight unless there's a shroud in place. For irons I like to use sight black for a clearer picture.

If I had my heart set on another brass insert, I'd probably knock the sight out and solder in a new chunk of brass. So easy a plumber could do it.

You could even regrind the front sight, making it into a straight post. I'd try to fix it and make it better.

If it doesn't turn out, then search out a better replacement.

When I needed to replacement front sight for my '94, I bought a blank from Brownell's and ground it to fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Czechbikr and tobywan45 like this.
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Member #
    Liked
    504 times

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links