Rossi 92 in 357
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rossi 92 in 357

Member #
    Liked
    427 times
    Recently I got back into the 357 with my ruger security six 6 inch and police service six 4 inch revolvers. I found another cylinder that timed perfectly to the security six and bonus it did same with service six. I sent it to TK Customs had a 9mm conversion done. Now th 9mm converted cylinder will work on both guns.

Anyway it got me thinking about the 92 again. Sold mine years back. It would have saved me money had I kept it. Hindsight....

I started looking again and began to debate with myself over the 16 inch or 20 inch barrel. After months of research and nashing of teeth I concluded that the 16 inch would be my choice this time and blued. I just have an old school obsession about blued finish over stainless.

Any way I began my search and was taken back at how the process have increased and they seem to have become scarce.

I called rossi and they did say they were still producing the 357. So I continued my search.

My last m92. I got the Steve's Gunz CD and slick kit. Doing the work was fun and i was very familiar with the rifle when I finished.

I decided to check away Steve's web page for the kit again.

I sent him an email to see if he had a 16 inch barrel blued.

The gun gods spoke and sure enough he happened to have one. I had to pay for his work and the upgrade parts.

Initially I had some sticker shock but then I remembered the time it took to do the work.

Plus the work is done by the well known m92 expert.

What the heck. I put it on my card.

I picked it up tonight and I am super glad I let him do the work. The action is super smooth with no hitch and a crisp trigger 3 to 4 pound trigger. The loading gate smoothed for ease of loading. I had the rear peep and front green fiber optic front sight installed.

The finsh and stock are pristine.

9 rounds of 357 with one in chamber and 10 rounds 38 special.

The 16 inch barrel is so much easier to point... not that the 20 inch was bad but the 16inch is that much quicker . Looking at "ballistics by the inch" I am not really loosing fps with a shorter barrel

Ok enough rambling. Cant wait to take it to the range and chrono the rifle.

Range report to follow.
    Last edited by silverback13; 06-15-2019 at 01:20 AM.
    Taurus Judge 45-410 6 inch barrel
    Taurus Public Defender ultra lite
    Taurus Gaucho 45 colt
    Taurus M941 22 mag
    Taurus M94 22LR
    Taurus PT22
    Rossi M92 45 COLT

Member #
    Liked
    7607 times
    Steve's the Man when it comes to the '92. Rossi even works with him. Trappers are fun guns but, after buying a '94 Traper in .45Colt, I decided that I liked the balanced of a longer barrel better. I think the next lever gun will be a 20 inch Short Rifle (octagonal barrel, ...).
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Looking forward to a range report. Used Rossi's are non existent around here. Brand new ones cost almost as much as the Remlin 94s.
    Tom Vietnam Vet - Jun 66 - Dec 67

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    427 times
    Well finally went to the range today. I really enjoyed the 16 inch barrel over the 20 inch I used to have. Just seems lighter easier to swing from target to target, points quicker. As accurate as the 20 inch and absorbs recoil the same as well.
    Standing free hand aiming I didnt feel the front of the rifle at all.

I used to be a staunch advocate of a longer barrel but since getting into bullpups I have slowly come to like shorter configuration.

I really went back and forth trying to decide on this length barrel. I am glad I went with the 16 inch. No regrets.

Super fun and easy to shoot.

Handled 357 and 38 special no fuss no muss.

Happy camper
    loudviking likes this.
    Taurus Gaucho 45 colt
    Taurus M941 22 mag
    Taurus M94 22LR
    Taurus PT22
    Rossi M92 45 COLT

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31190 times
    I've had my .357 Rossi 92 for over 30 years. My biggest gripe was I couldn't unload it without jacking every round out individually which was a pain in the field. I can get home and jack 'em out on the bed, but the field is not so sanitary. Well, I've decided to start carrying the gun in my truck. I bought this 2 rifle deal that hangs on the seat backs of the truck. It's a bit of a pain the get the rifle into it, but it can be accessed rather quickly should I need it....biggest thought being pigs that come out on our road riding in or leaving.

Anyway, so, I'm loading the magazine and I decide to check feeding. I lowered the lever enough to cause the round in the magazine to release, lower it slowly, and I figure out I can get the cartridge out by dumping it, close the lever back, and there's then nothing in the chamber! Took me 30 years to figure this out, but then, I've never been too quick.

So, now, I can take the rifle afield, get back and not have to run through the magazine to unload, just drop the one out of the chamber, close the lever, and load it back in the magazine.
    Kevin Keith likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31190 times
    BTW, I barely have 3" of barrel and 3" of stock in that seat back carrier when I put my rifle in there. I'm sorta glad I have the 20" version.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    6426 times
    Nothing like the feeling that your guns works just like you wanted it to.

Member #
    Liked
    427 times
    Second range outing. Took less than 4 rounds to get on target at 100 yards. The Steve's gunz rear peep and green fiber optic front dead on at 50 yards. Two turns of the pee and bam hitting the bulls eye. Man I really like this rifle. So sweet.
    Taurus Gaucho 45 colt
    Taurus M941 22 mag
    Taurus M94 22LR
    Taurus PT22
    Rossi M92 45 COLT

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    I have one in 44 mag, 454 Casull (both standard blue round barrels) and 45 Colt with color case finish and 24 inch Oct. barrel and crescent butt plate. The 454 really loves the Lee 452-300-RF bullets.
    I have the 357 Mag on my "want to get" list along with the Taurus Mdl. 455 six inch in 45 acp.

Steve...…...

Fishinkeylargo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7887 times
    I finally picked up a used one locally yesterday.A 16" blued one.Looks good other than the safety has already popped out.I know Steve's sells a plug kit and have read a .22 casing will fill the hole as well.
    I too would love to send my rifle to Steve and let him do the work but he is 8-9 months out.

I have been looking at them a while and can't decide whether I want the Peep sight or the red dot kit he sells.

I think I may add the stainless saddle ring for a bit of contrast as well.

One newb question,Do these shoot regular pistol ammo fine or is their any bullet configuration I need to stay away from?
    Vengeance is mine sayeth the .45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links