Taurus Firearm Forum banner

model 66 barrel length

6K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Qwiks draw 
#1 ·
Hey i am new to this forum. i want to buy a new model 66 .357 and was wondering what barrel length people prefer. also is there a big accuracy difference from people who have shot both?

#2 ·
Hello and welcome to TaurusArmed.net.

I recently traded for this Taurus M66 with a 4" barrel, and this gun is more accurate than I am!

I can only imagine that this model with a longer barrel would be exceptionally accurate.

Attachments

Reactions: ncfarmer
#3 · (Edited)
I am assuming you are looking not to conceal carry this revolver, looking more as a range, hiking, automobile carry (truck gun) or home defense.

The longer the barrel, the longer the sighting radius and the better your aiming control (maybe the accuracy Nazis will let me get by with "aiming control" as opposed to accuracy).

The standard of nearly all police departments, Highway Patrol, and sheriffs departments for many years when revolvers were open carried was 4" even when they changed models.

If you are thinking conceal carry, then I would opt for a lighter framed revolver and a shorter barrel.

I've know deer hunters who have taken deer with 4" barrels and it will work for that quite well. However, were I looking for a revolver primarily for hunting, I would look for 5 1/2" minimum length.

Were I buying my first revolver, I would buy a 4" first and foremost unless I wanted one for primarily concealed carry and then it would be a lighter framed snub nose.

A 4" barrel makes for good utilization of the burn rate of nearly all powders, whereas with a snubby, the slower burn rate of some powders does not utilize near all the energy otherwise available. You will see a few companies advertise short barrel ammo, it just has a faster burning powder.

I own revolvers with barrel lengths of 2", 3", 4" and 5 1/2" and at 5 yards, they all seem to have pretty comparable scores on a target. As you move out to 10 yards and beyond, the shorter barrel lengths and scores start having a larger difference and it becomes very evident.

I know it was a lucky shot, but I once killed a prairie dog at 70 yards with a 4" .38 special, also had 30 year younger eyes and steadier hands! :)

Welcome to the forum from Lubbock, TX.

Reactions: Sekol and MilProGuy
#5 ·
I have the M66 in 4". With my old eyes, I can keep all rounds on a paper plate at 25yds. and I'm very satisfied with it. I have not shot one with a 6" barrel so can't be of much help.

#6 ·
I too am like MilProGuy I have the M66 but mine is SS. My 4in is Awesome and a Tack Driver. I have not had the pleasure to shoot the 6in but I have read, and watched videos and it too is very accurate.

Reactions: MilProGuy
#11 ·
I wanted a 6", got a 4" it gets the job done just fine. If I was hunting I think I would hold out for the 6" for a little more power.

#12 ·
If you are going to be using your Model 66 as a hunting and trail gun, the 6" barrel would
probably be your best bet, it does give you a little more velocity and accuracy. I have the 4"
version and I love it! My Model 66 is my nightstand gun and I use it for home defense and
target shooting. It is a tackdriver in 4" and I can imagine it would only be even better in the
6" version.

#13 ·
The 6" M66 will improve your rd's ballistics by 100-200 fps over a 4" model. It will be a bit more accurate. It will weigh 2-3 ounces more and be 2" longer thereby increasing the awkwardness. Do u want to sacrifice comfort and ease of carry for added ballistics/ accuracy ? The accuracy i speak of is mainly longer range shots ( beyond 30 yds is my guess). I love my 4" M66.

#14 ·
These folks have given forst class advice on the 66.

If you are going to hunt animals,deer and such, with the 66 then the 6" model gives you the ballistics boost over the 4" model.

Should this be a for carry against 2 or 4 footed predators mostly the 4" barrel would be the go to model. Quicker out of the holster and easier to carry all day in a holster are two of the advantages. Another advantage is the less chance of the barrel or some other part getting caught on something or against something when the gun is drawn. This is true for dense cover if that's what you have or are up against.

From a shoulder holster this is not as important than if one carries their revolver on the hip. Both barrel lengths are more accurate than the shooter in my experience. I have the model 66 in stainless with the 4" barrel and a 669 and 689 with 6" barrels.

With time to take a shot I find the 6" barrel gives me personally a better set of circumstances to hit targets out to 50 yards better than with the 4" barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.