Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Trail Gun Choices (and why)

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    27029 times
    No I would be banned!
    Taking this country back....one job at a time!

In memory of BUTT. Thanks for, your wisdom, your humor and your willingness to pass it on. You ARE missed.

YES, I am a "bean people" !

Member #
    Liked
    796 times
    I would prefer the .44 Maggie. But I'd carry neither of them if they were ported.
    We ain't played cowboys and muslims yet.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Between the Trinity and Brazos Rivers in the real Lonesome Dove.
    Liked
    9045 times
    A heavily loaded .44 Magnum using Keith Loads (240 gr Keith Type Semi-wadcutter backed by 21 gr of 2400). Otherwise, use what the Alaskan sourdoughs prefer: either a .458 Win Mag rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun with rifled slugs. When you think you must stop something really big, don't play around; those claws and teeth are not decorations.
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." - Edmund Burke

Sand Lake 2014 TA Gathering
    Sand Lake 2016 TA Gathering
    Rapid City 2016 TA Gathering

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    I had same question too, doing some research , I am leaning towards a judge, a good 45LC can be loaded to the power of a 44magnum and carry buckshot for 2 legged pests and #4 for snakes, and probably would also carry bear mace as well , seeing that it seems to be more effective then trying to shoot it.

And reading the post below, Buck shot out of a 410 to the head will have enough penetration to reach the brain, so buckshot might be good for bears as well

And u could also use these instead of 410

https://lehighdefense.mybigcommerce....olt-300-gr-mp/
    https://lehighdefense.mybigcommerce....nor-200-gr-me/
    Last edited by atomiccat2002; 01-09-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I would take neither. for several reasons. No matter WHERE you are, men are the more common and the more severe risk, and heavy magnum loads are not good ideas vs men, they make getting repeat hits slower, and that is bad. yes, you CAN miss, you CAN get poor hits and the attacker CAN have friends, ok? Another reason is that NOBODY considers a 20 ga slug to be a "bear stopper", yet it's almost 300 grs at 1400 fps, and in a gas operated autoloader, can get hits at TWICE the repeat rate that anyone can do the same with a full power .44 pistol. :-) Also, 12 ga slugs to the chest OFTEN let 100 lb deer run for a ways, so WHY "think" that such hits will stop an adrenalized bear, hmm? The only reliable stopping hit is on the 6" circle of the brain, and it's coming at 35mph, 50 fps.

So I stick with the same pocket 9 that I always carry, and in the 1 in 100million chance that I am attacked by a bear (AND able to get off a shot in time, with anything) the 9mm to the brain will suffice as well as a .44 mag to the brain, and it will definitely beat a .44 that MISSES. :-) Usually, when on the trail, I add a sweet little Smith 2214 .22lr, cause it is 6" long, 18 ozs, and groups into 2" at 25 yds. its safety is awkward/slow, but that's not an issue for a game gun. It's got a fine trigger pull and nice sights. Why have ONLY a .22, or ONLY a centerfire, hmm? The 11 oz Diamondback 9mm AND the 2214 total just 29 ozs. :-) One in each front pocket, holstered there, of course, not just loose in the pocket.

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by atomiccat2002 View Post
    I had same question too, doing some research , I am leaning towards a judge, a good 45LC can be loaded to the power of a 44magnum and carry buckshot for 2 legged pests and #4 for snakes, and probably would also carry bear mace as well , seeing that it seems to be more effective then trying to shoot it.

And reading the post below, Buck shot out of a 410 to the head will have enough penetration to reach the brain, so buckshot might be good for bears as well

And u could also use these instead of 410

https://lehighdefense.mybigcommerce....olt-300-gr-mp/
    https://lehighdefense.mybigcommerce....nor-200-gr-me/
    the Judge is not made to handle the kind of pressure needed to make the 45colt = a 44mag. if you want that kind of power go for the Raging Judge or Raging Bull.

i would deffinatly not want to count on a 9mm penetrating a grizzly skull and i would be suprised if .410 buckshot could do it.

i don't care what your shooting, you have to make the first shot count, a bear moves faster than you think he should be able to.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    7 rounds of 357. Teddy Roosevelt killed a grizzly with a357 as a publicity stunt when they first came out.Just use the right loads. Remember you need penetration not expansion.id use hard cast+p hp semiwad cutters.These will work on all heavily clad vermin you might encounter.With the 2 extra rounds you might make your day.Buy the 44 tracker, but carry the 357.

Member #
    Liked
    3975 times

Zombie Teddy Roosevelt with a 357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by millerbeach View Post
    7 rounds of 357. Teddy Roosevelt killed a grizzly with a357 as a publicity stunt when they first came out.
    That Zombie Teddy Roosevelt sure got around didn't he? Doubtful story on ANY level, Teddy didn't NEED publicity and he didn't do stunts;
    ref Wiki - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt was the 26th President of the United States, October 27, 1858 – January 6, 1919
    ref Wiki - The .357 Magnum cartridge was introduced in 1934,
    whichfinger likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    In accordance with what you asked, I would say that it will be up to what you can handle. Are you capable of rapid shots with a .44? Then take that into the woods. Garrett loads, Buffalo Bore, maybe even Extreme Shock (you decide) will help in the case of emergency. But then make sure your gun is rated for such loads. A good, accurate 44 would give you a bit of hunting power too.

I own a .357 M66 in 4" barrel, and while it would probably be sufficient for the East, I would want more for the West.

Here's to you not seeing any bears or cats!

Member #
    Liked
    2378 times
    All you need are hand-to-hand skills.....

I carried a Blackhawk .357 [6-shot] for years
    [in big bear areas] and migrated to the .44 Alaskan [6-shot]
    and similar to the Smith 629.........all three were fine.
    Only 4 bear encounters and a warning shot sufficed.
    One even a Polar in Prudhoe Bay.
    I now carry a Smith 460XVR [5-shot].......although I
    rarely am ever in areas with bear anymore.

The first and foremost defense you need....is awareness
    of your surroundings.
    99% of the time, bears don't just up-and-eat people.
    I have had many more problems with Moose than with bear.

I believe either the .357 or the .44 is adequate.
    You do your part....in the woods.
    Don't overload yourself with info......and never underestimate
    the beloved .357 and you will be fine.

Again, on the lighter side,.......
    why would you need spray or a gun....
    just look....

and...
    Last edited by elPescador; 01-14-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links