Taurus 889...stainless 4" 38 special, anyone have info on this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Taurus mod 889 stainless 4" 38 special, anyone have info on this?spare cylinder parts

Hello everyone, long time taurus lover here looking for some info on a gun I seen today at a garage sale.

So I seen one of these today & really liked the way it looked, did a google search & found absolutely nothing on this model, I mean NOTHING. It was stainless, 4" red ramp front sight, adjustable rear. looked like a medium sized revolver. What interested me was it had a weapon lanyard ring at the bottom of the grip, makes me wonder if it was a military pistol or service pistol. Had some things wrong so I passed it up. The white insert was missing from the rear sight, The cylinder extractor rod, extractor, but that was it. Does anyone have any info on this model taurus?

Could one possibly buy parts from a different taurus that would fit this model?Or does anyone know a website that has parts for this model. left side of frame said

C.A.I. GEORGIA VT.
    MOD-889

thanks in advance
    Last edited by guylookingforinfo; 09-15-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    33306 times
    Taurus Model 88 and Model 889 in .38 Special were manufactured prior to 1994 and often were purchased by law enforcement agencies in Central and South America. There's been a flood of them on the US market as of late due to police agencies upgrading their guns. The 889 is different from the 88 in that it has a vent rib on the barrel, I believe. I'm posting this from memory so some of this may be off a bit, but that's the long and short of it. I've got a Model 669 6" SS from the same era. It's an excellent shooter. Mine was not a service gun. Most of the service guns have a lanyard loop in the butt and show quite a bit of wear, but most of them have been shot very little.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    23046 times
    the "C.A.I. GEORGIA UT." (I think it's actually "VT"?) is an importers stamp. The Taurus models with that stamp that I've seen are all blued, and police surplus from South America (hence the lanyard). Taurus USA does not warrant these. Maybe somebody had it nickled? All I've seen are blued ones, they sell for around $200. They are usually pretty worn.

I don't think you made a mistake passing on it.

Taurus USA does not sell parts, but they will repair guns they cover. They may or may not have parts for that one.
    Last edited by glenwolde; 09-15-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for posting, is the model 88 a gun that I would be able to get parts for? I really would like to find the parts needed to make the gun function & go back tommorow & see if it is still available. Just didnt want to get stuck with a paperweight until I found more info. I was hoping a different ejector rod for a new model taurus of the same size would fit, when closed the cylinder locked into place, just needed the ejector rod so it would stay closed, maybe it would be a nice single shot lol
    Last edited by guylookingforinfo; 09-15-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    33306 times
    Finding parts for a Taurus gun that old isn't going to be easy. If it were me I just by two of then as they can be had cheaply and combine the parts to make a shooter. Take a look on Gunbroker.com.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    searched gunbroker but nothing.

If I found parts for a model 88 38 special, would they fit? is there a classified section to post a wtb for parts?

I feel bad passing that up, it was in nicer condition in SS then my old smith 64 police trade in I had back in the day, I pulled the cylinder release to the rear so I could move the hammer back & the firing pin definately worked.
    Last edited by guylookingforinfo; 09-15-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    33306 times
    I believe the parts would more than likely fit. We do have a Classified section but you need to have 25 posts before you can gain access to it. Check out teh link below it might be something that could help you?

Taurus Model 88 and 889 Revolver Exploded Gun Drawing Download | Krause Books

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have been looking at the parts schematic for the 889 for like the last hour lol, looks like all it needed is the extractor rod & extractor, inside the cylinder there was a spring

Member #
    Liked
    33306 times
    Check out the Taurus Model 82. It's also a .38 Special from that same era. Research the parts lists for both guns an see if the parts you need will interchange.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    looks like I found the parts from gunpartscorp.com but they are all sold out, when I looked up the 889 schematic, there was a huge list of parts under it, all sold out though

they did have a extractor rod for 12 bucks, it was for 3,4 & 6" barrels in stainless. would that be enough to make the cylinder stay shut & to have the hammer be able to move? does the extractor rod thread into the cylinder or the cylinder crane?
    Last edited by guylookingforinfo; 09-15-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links