Model 605 Two Best Grip Options - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Model 605 Two Best Grip Options

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Member #
    6312
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NW OHIO
    Posts
    7,241
    Liked
    2044 times
    As you can see there are several options. They all are different. It may take several to figure out what works best for you. I have a box full of holsters, and another with grips. Eventually you'll get it dialed in. Good luck!
    Old age isn't for sissy's!!
    Don't give up the ship!! Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry!!
    Due to the rising cost of ammo. A warning shot will NOT be fired!!



    Ohio CHL holder
    NRA Member

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Member #
    25014
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    S. of Lake Okeechobee, FL
    Posts
    187
    Liked
    47 times
    I liked the combat grips, but you are correct, they should be a tad wider. I have big hands. I decided to get the Pachmayr compac grips because of their reputation on this site. They are not as long as the combat grips but have a nice width to them. Even though they are shorter, they fit my hand like a glove. Now they are my favorite. Didn't like the rounded backstrap on the hogue, so I didn't try them. With the compac grips, I don't get any hand ache; can shoot .38+p all day.
    How prone all human institutions have been to decay; how subject the best-formed and most wisely organized governments have been to lose their check and totally dissolve; how difficult it has been for mankind, in all ages and countries, to preserve their dearest rights and best privileges, impelled as it were by an irresistible fate of despotism.
    James Monroe
    1788 – speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Member #
    27018
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    2 times
    Thank God I live in Vermont. Just getting into the sport of handguns... and could use some advice. Have had a Browning Buckmark .22 for 20 years... love it... sweet, accurate, comfortable & afforadle, but won't stop an intruder (as quickly as I would like).. So I just purchased a Taurus 605 .357 Problem is I have large hands... and the basic grips do not fit my hand... I would like a grip that is longer & fatter, but fatter is more important. After only 50 rounds of 357 158 grain JSP, and about the same of .38 138 grain FMJ rounds, I had a dime-sized open blister on the inside of my thumb from a friction-burn resulting from the kick ((the 38's only irritated it... the 357's created it!) There is a lot of slop in the grip. I have read your posts about the Hogue Vs. Pachmyr, but have not been able to tell which i spreferable for my situation. BTW... the 605 is a hell of a reasonably priced revolver. Got mine for $250, new! Thanks for any input!

    ... and please, no more Obama, Lehey, Sanders, Pelosi, etc......
    dogchild likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Senior Member
    Member #
    88
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    6,840
    Liked
    2459 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkerVT View Post
    Thank God I live in Vermont. Just getting into the sport of handguns... and could use some advice. Have had a Browning Buckmark .22 for 20 years... love it... sweet, accurate, comfortable & afforadle, but won't stop an intruder (as quickly as I would like).. So I just purchased a Taurus 605 .357 Problem is I have large hands... and the basic grips do not fit my hand... I would like a grip that is longer & fatter, but fatter is more important. After only 50 rounds of 357 158 grain JSP, and about the same of .38 138 grain FMJ rounds, I had a dime-sized open blister on the inside of my thumb from a friction-burn resulting from the kick ((the 38's only irritated it... the 357's created it!) There is a lot of slop in the grip. I have read your posts about the Hogue Vs. Pachmyr, but have not been able to tell which is preferable for my situation. BTW... the 605 is a hell of a reasonably priced revolver. Got mine for $250, new! Thanks for any input!

    ... and please, no more Obama, Lehey, Sanders, Pelosi, etc......
    As I have a 605SS2 and a 605SS3, along with both the Hogue® and Pachmayr® grips; I feel I can provide you with a qualified answer & hopefully point you in the right direction. Dimensions of the grips, when mounted on the gun; are..........
    • Houge®: 3.840" Tall, 1.805" Wide, and 1.200" Thick
    • Pachmayr®: 3.616" Tall, 1.850" Wide, and 1.225" Thick

    The Hogue® grips DO NOT COVER THE BACKSTRAP! The Pachmayr®'s OTOH DO COVER THE BACKSTRAP; and
    are "fatter". From over 40 years of 357 Magnum revolver shooting I recommend you get the Pachmayr® grips. The Pachmayr®'s will handle the recoil of the harshest loadings; to include the Buffalo Bore® 180gr FRN!

    Lastly I can recommend the following as a carry load for your 605, it is what I use in mine..........
    Magtech® Guardian Gold™ 357 Magnum 125 Grain Brass Jacketed Hollow Point



    Last edited by badge851; 05-15-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    David
    CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours

    Vulnerata, Fortis, Dignus Veterani
    كافر. المسلحة. جاهزة
    Only two defining forces ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, & Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
    1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given
    _______________________________________________

  6. #15
    Senior Member
    Member #
    25014
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    S. of Lake Okeechobee, FL
    Posts
    187
    Liked
    47 times
    Dave is right on! Go with the Pachmayr grip. You will not be disappointed. .357 loads are a lot easier with them.
    How prone all human institutions have been to decay; how subject the best-formed and most wisely organized governments have been to lose their check and totally dissolve; how difficult it has been for mankind, in all ages and countries, to preserve their dearest rights and best privileges, impelled as it were by an irresistible fate of despotism.
    James Monroe
    1788 – speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention

  7. #16
    Senior Member
    Member #
    9615
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    213
    Liked
    49 times
    I have many grips for my Taurus revolvers, small frames, and each time I get a new grip, think its gonna be the "perfect" one.

    Haven't found that "perfect" grip yet, all are compromises...

    Have tried the stock rubber boot grip that came with my pistols, its okay, small and the material is not too soft...just not shaped just right for me. I can use it however.
    Have tried the wooden "Banana" grip offered some years ago...shape okay, but even after I stippled the grip, too slick.
    Have tried the stock Old Style wooden grips with checkering, okay, but don't really like them.
    Have tried Hogues......too sticky, once the pistol was pulled out of the holster when the grip grabbed my shirt....hit the carpeted floor.....
    Have tried the Pachmyers...like the Hogues, the material sure softens recoil, but is just too grabby for my concealed carry needs.

    So you wonder what I use?
    This suits me best...Old style skinny Taurus "J" frame type grips with a BG grip adapter. The shape fits my hand super, my only complaint is its a little slick.
    The recoil rolls in my hand, instead of kicking back, you can't shoot loosely, of course.

    Am ordering some Altamont grips for my M327 soon, anxious to try those out.

    Good luck with your choice, the choices are slim for the small frame Taurus pistols, as I have found.

  8. #17
    Senior Member
    Member #
    88
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    6,840
    Liked
    2459 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunset_Va View Post
    I have many grips for my Taurus revolvers, small frames, and each time I get a new grip, think its gonna be the "perfect" one.

    Haven't found that "perfect" grip yet, all are compromises...

    Have tried the stock rubber boot grip that came with my pistols, its okay, small and the material is not too soft...just not shaped just right for me. I can use it however.
    Have tried the wooden "Banana" grip offered some years ago...shape okay, but even after I stippled the grip, too slick.
    Have tried the stock Old Style wooden grips with checkering, okay, but don't really like them.
    Have tried Hogues......too sticky, once the pistol was pulled out of the holster when the grip grabbed my shirt....hit the carpeted floor.....
    Have tried the Pachmyers...like the Hogues, the material sure softens recoil, but is just too grabby for my concealed carry needs.

    So you wonder what I use?
    This suits me best...Old style skinny Taurus "J" frame type grips with a BG grip adapter. The shape fits my hand super, my only complaint is its a little slick.
    The recoil rolls in my hand, instead of kicking back, you can't shoot loosely, of course.

    Am ordering some Altamont grips for my M327 soon, anxious to try those out.

    Good luck with your choice, the choices are slim for the small frame Taurus pistols, as I have found.
    If I may inquire what is a BG grip adapter, is it like a Tyler T-Grip?
    David
    CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours

    Vulnerata, Fortis, Dignus Veterani
    كافر. المسلحة. جاهزة
    Only two defining forces ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, & Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
    1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given
    _______________________________________________

  9. #18
    Senior Member
    Member #
    9615
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    213
    Liked
    49 times
    Yes, instead of being made from aluminum, it's made from polymer, and is exact copy of the Tyler-T grip.

    Also it has an extra copper tab for better stability, a member in the S&W forum began making them when the Tyler-T grips stopped being made. Since then the Tyler- T grip has resumed production, but the BG adapter has gained a following.

    Turns out there was a big cult fan base of that grip adapter.

    Let me see if I can find BG info.

    My mistake , it's BK grip adapters, not BG. Here is the link.

    http://bkgrips.com/
    Last edited by Sunset_Va; 05-17-2012 at 05:49 AM.

  10. #19
    Senior Member
    Member #
    10807
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,348
    Liked
    1746 times
    Great choice on the Pachmayr grips. IMHO, they are hard to beat. The Taurus ones are pretty good for the money (tried a pair on my 851), but the Pachmayr set I had on my Colt DS were fantastic. Congrats and happy shooting!
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><



  11. #20
    Junior Member
    Member #
    27018
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by badge851 View Post
    As I have a 605SS2 and a 605SS3, along with both the Hogue® and Pachmayr® grips; I feel I can provide you with a qualified answer & hopefully point you in the right direction. Dimensions of the grips, when mounted on the gun; are..........
    • Houge®: 3.840" Tall, 1.805" Wide, and 1.200" Thick
    • Pachmayr®: 3.616" Tall, 1.850" Wide, and 1.225" Thick

    The Hogue® grips DO NOT COVER THE BACKSTRAP! The Pachmayr®'s OTOH DO COVER THE BACKSTRAP; and
    are "fatter". From over 40 years of 357 Magnum revolver shooting I recommend you get the Pachmayr® grips. The Pachmayr®'s will handle the recoil of the harshest loadings; to include the Buffalo Bore® 180gr FRN!

    Lastly I can recommend the following as a carry load for your 605, it is what I use in mine..........
    Magtech® Guardian Gold™ 357 Magnum 125 Grain Brass Jacketed Hollow Point



    Thank you David, and on this Memorial Day, THANK YOU, AND ALL OF THE MEN & WOMEN IN OUR ARMED FORCES FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I am looking into the Pachmyer grips. God Bless, and good hunting!

 

 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Grip options
    By Buckeye! in forum Taurus Revolvers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-13-2017, 07:59 AM
  2. Looking for some vintage grip options
    By GottaBkiddin in forum Smithing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 08:29 PM
  3. PT945 Grip options
    By bwsmith in forum PT92 & Other Taurus Pistols
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 05:00 AM
  4. Taurus 605 grip options?
    By GeeLeDouche in forum Taurus Revolvers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-01-2009, 06:40 PM

Search tags for this page

grips for taurus 605
,
taurus 605
,
taurus 605 combat grip
,
taurus 605 combat grips
,
taurus 605 grip
,

taurus 605 grips

,
taurus 605 grips for sale
,
taurus 605 pachmayr grips
,
taurus combat grips
,
taurus model 605 grips
Click on a term to search for related topics.