• 3 Post By Lionquest1
  • 2 Post By Lionquest1
  • 3 Post By djh

Thread: Re-bluing a Taurus 82

Member #
    Liked
    398 times

Re-bluing a Taurus 82

I finally got an 82 to add to my revolver collection and it is a great shooter. Just trying it out I put six in the X ring at 10 yards in rapid succession.

Ironically I swapped a Shield in 9 mm for it, and paid less for the Shield NIB than my friend did for the 82. I'm not a Shield fan and I feel I got the better end of the trade. I know the Shield is a popular gun, but I prefer the G2C and the Glock 19 as far as striker fired pistols go because I can get better accuracy.

Anyway, I've never liked the matte black finish. Has anyone had success re-bluing one of the matte black guns with a cold bluing kit?

Member #
    Liked
    34676 times
    I think someone here did that recently. Patience and elbow grease are the main ingredients. Sand the old finish away until it's gone and you are happy with the smoothness of the metal, and then get to work with whatever bluing kit you like. Birchwood Casey makes a good one.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    398 times
    Thanks Ghosthorse. I'll search around the forum. I'm looking at this as a project gun, bluing the finish and adding wooden grips. LOL - it's a good shooter. Now I want to put some class to it.
    ANALOG KID and Dad1911 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

djh
    Member #
    Liked
    635 times
    Cold bluing can be used for touchup but I would not use cold bluing for the whole gun.

If you want to blue a gun do it right and have it broke down and hot blue it.

You will be much happier with it.
    Dad1911, Lionquest1 and G Love like this.

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionquest1 View Post
    Thanks Ghosthorse. I'll search around the forum. I'm looking at this as a project gun, bluing the finish and adding wooden grips. LOL - it's a good shooter. Now I want to put some class to it.
    I've considered the same thing. I installed Hogue wooden grips on Model 66 and my Model 44. A black Model 65 can be purchased with the same grips, from the factory. I considered that as a bluing project as well.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I re-blued my Colt Combat Commander with cold blue.

After a couple attempts with sanding, I finally had the best luck with bead blasting the old finish off.

I didn’t polish after blasting, so it came out matte, but I suppose you could polish before applying the blue.

The finish came out nice and dark and even, and is proving durable. It’s my EDC.

VR,
    Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djh View Post
    Cold bluing can be used for touchup but I would not use cold bluing for the whole gun.

If you want to blue a gun do it right and have it broke down and hot blue it.

You will be much happier with it.
    I agree with this guy. I've tried to cold blue with birchwood's stuff, followed the instructions exactly and had ok results, but no where near a professional rebluing.
    I tried perma blue and super blue.

Sponsored Links