605 Boomerang!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 605 Boomerang!

Member #
    Liked
    44 times

605 Boomerang!

I bought a 605 back about 10 or 12 years ago. It was a good little gun but I carried my autos more. One day my Dad mentioned that he was in the market for a small carry revolver, so I just gave him the 605. I wasn't using it much and he wanted one, so I worked out well. Even so, there were times that I missed the little .357 hand cannon. Fast forward to now, and Dad is thinning out his gun collection. So for Father's Day, he gave me the 605! I'm just tickled to have it back!

Long ago, I ditched the original rubber grips for some really pretty wood grips. They felt soooo nice in the hand, but they interfered with speed loaders. That's part of why I rarely carried it. I used to carry a couple of Speed Strips, but they really aren't all that speedy. I came across a set of Pachmayer G10 grips on Amazon that they were selling as "guaranteed refurbished" for $40, so I gave them a try. They fill the had a bit more than the wood grips, but aren't too big. They look pretty cool, IMO. More importantly, they are rebated enough on the left side for a Safariland Comp I speed loader to (just barely) work. I also have a speed loader from Revison CV on the way. I want to see if it gives a smidgen more clearance for quicker reloads.

I have the old DIY kit holster that I used to carry the 605. Dad used it too and it served him well. I've since gained a lot more skill in making my own holsters, so I'll make something nicer for it soon. Anyway, here she is. Definitely a great Father's Day gift from my Dad! I gave her away and she came back!

Member #
    Liked
    34664 times
    Nice setup! I'd say the time with your father adds value to it, too.
    Harleyboy65 and Warhammer like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    I just painted the front sight with some Birchwood Casey "superbright" paint pens. I did 2 coats of white and a final coat of fluorescent red. Wow! It really makes a difference on finding the front sight on this little gun! This is definitely a worthwhile mod on any carry gun like this that has low profile, dark sights.

I also received my new speedloader from Revision CV. So far, I really like it. I haven't taken it to the range for a full shakedown, but after practicing at home with snap caps, I'm impressed. It's very slim due to the scalloped design and doesn't hang up on the frame of the gun like my Safariland speed loader does. Plus, it only cost $6.95 plus shipping! If it turns out to work well with live rounds, I'm going to buy several more.

kruizer likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3085 times
    Congrats on the reutrn of your very nice wheel gun.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Back around 1990 me and my wheelchair bound friend went to the gun shop to get him some protection. He got an excellent deal on an S&W Model 19.
    A couple years ago my friend's health started deteriorating. He sold the 19 to me for a good price. A short while later he passed away.
    That's one gun I'll never sell. I loaded up a bunch of ammo for him when he got it. When I got it back most of the ammo came with it. He shot it very little.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Czechbikr and Warhammer like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45437 times
    It's nice to have guns with a history, their trail reminds us of the people and times that they were used. The 605 is a great concealable revolver that is an accurate little beast.
    Warhammer likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32620 times
    I tried a Safariland speedloader. It jammed in my pocket and i had to smash it with a hammer to get the rounds out. Didn't take too long, either.

Yes, I know one has to waste five nanoseconds to turn the knob on an HKS speedloader (which works every time). That's OK, I'll take reliability every time over five nanoseconds. Actually, I usually carry speed strips. They carry flatter.
    Last edited by NativeTexan; 06-24-2020 at 06:14 PM.
    Warhammer likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    2049 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
    I also received my new speedloader from Revision CV. So far, I really like it. I haven't taken it to the range for a full shakedown, but after practicing at home with snap caps, I'm impressed. It's very slim due to the scalloped design and doesn't hang up on the frame of the gun like my Safariland speed loader does. Plus, it only cost $6.95 plus shipping! If it turns out to work well with live rounds, I'm going to buy several more.

I like the looks of that is it a "twist-release" or is it "push-release"?

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BC605 View Post
    I like the looks of that is it a "twist-release" or is it "push-release"?
    It's a push release. It seems like a very simple mechanism. Easy to load and easy to use.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    great story. I love my 605 and have had it for over a decade. Yes the HK speed loader does not clear well on my 605 with its original grip. However I love the grip due to how it tames the recoil when shooting 357 loads. Speed strips appear to be the way to go for me. AZRN
    Warhammer likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links