Like Tree28Likes

Thread: The released 2.5 inch barreled Taurus 44mag Tracker

Member #
    Liked
    2047 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CJS3 View Post
    I got the Rossi version;

Attachment 462183

Taurus did have a 44 Tracker with a two and a half inch barrel a few years back, but it was ported.
    I have the same gun, and contrary to the opinions of some folks, find it to be both useful and fun.
    Name:  Rossi44C.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  25.5 KB

I have another with an almost 3" barrel - a John Jovino Astra Terminator
    Name:  DSCN2578.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  149.3 KB
    Qwiks draw and CJS3 like this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33334 times
    https://www.fieldandstream.com/photo...killed-alaska/

This story happened in 2009 and though it doesn't go into it much in this story, I've read through other outlets that he was carrying a Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull. Very much a snubby. He was damn lucky that the fourth shot put the bear down, because as the story says, he went to finish it off and the fifth shot was jammed. He called his wife frantically and told her to bring a rifle, and once he had that, he killed the bear. They found out later that the gun was pretty new, and the shop he bought the gun at didn't carry 454 Casull rounds, or they were out, something like that, and so he bought some reloads at the counter without much thought to it. Found out the hard way that the bullets were not properly crimped. That could have easily cost him his life. But, the gun didn't, it was sufficient to stop the charging bear.
    Qwiks draw likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    https://www.fieldandstream.com/photo...killed-alaska/
    This story happened in 2009 and though it doesn't go into it much in this story, I've read through other outlets that he was carrying a Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull. Very much a snubby. He was damn lucky that the fourth shot put the bear down, because as the story says, he went to finish it off and the fifth shot was jammed. He called his wife frantically and told her to bring a rifle, and once he had that, he killed the bear. They found out later that the gun was pretty new, and the shop he bought the gun at didn't carry 454 Casull rounds, or they were out, something like that, and so he bought some reloads at the counter without much thought to it. Found out the hard way that the bullets were not properly crimped. That could have easily cost him his life. But, the gun didn't, it was sufficient to stop the charging bear.
    Three hits with a 454 Casull and the bear still wasn't dead. Not at all encouragement to pack a puny 357 or 10mm. Or a 44mag snubby. More like a good warning to not be so foolish. And he missed his first shot. Most times one shot is all you're going to get. He was just very, very lucky.
    Last edited by jimku; 05-18-2020 at 02:43 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17961 times
    I didn't buy the 44 snubby because I hunt bear. Believe it or not, that's illegal in Texas. There aren't enough bears to hunt, so they're protected. I bought it because I like ground thumpin hand cannons. I bought it to go with my S&W M29 and my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk. I bought it to hand load something special just for little bitty snubbies, that make people flinch when they stand too close when I'm shooting. For those who think you should need a firearm before buying it, welcome to America.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye! View Post
    Just checking to see if any members here has purchased one of the new re-released 2.5 inch barreled 44mag Trackers ... ???

I noticed it is non-ported !
    I just traded for the same one but it's ported. I'm looking for any info about it. Value and etc.

Member #
    Liked
    9192 times
    Welcome aboard, Haulistic. Please start another thread at this board and you'll get more and better answers there than here.

Member #
    Liked
    9192 times
    Whether one carries a short barreled or a 4" tube, or so, is up to the individual user. There are good reasons for carrying either as proved by the links and evidence provided above in the posts. Real evidence has been given. Both have worked well in the crucible of fire. Make your choice according to what works best for you as this is case by case basis for each of us.

Member #
    Liked
    2469 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwiks draw View Post
    Whether one carries a short barreled or a 4" tube, or so, is up to the individual user. There are good reasons for carrying either as proved by the links and evidence provided above in the posts. Real evidence has been given. Both have worked well in the crucible of fire. Make your choice according to what works best for you as this is case by case basis for each of us.
    ​Sound advice.
    David
    CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours

Vulnerata, Fortis, Dignus Veterani
    كافر. المسلحة. جاهزة
    Only two defining forces ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, & Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
    1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    Quote Originally Posted by badge851 View Post
    ​Sound advice.
    Short barrels are LOUDER.

Member #
    Liked
    2047 times
    I'd like to see some decibel measurements to show how much difference there is in actual volume.
    For a 4" vs. 2.5" barrel, I'd be willing to bet that there is a bigger variation from one round to the next in a box of ammo than there is between the two barrels.
    The sound will certainly be different, but I have to wonder how much difference there is in measurable volume.
    Last edited by BC605; 05-20-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links