Taurus Firearm Forum banner

From 856 to Model 66

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Zack856 
#1 ·
Well, I joined this forum excited to get the new 856 defender 3 “ that I’ve had a deposit on ever since it’s debut at shot show 2020. But with this dang virus still going strong I was concerned as to when it would actually be released. So I opted to change up and bought this model 66 the other day.

Im actually glad it worked out the way it did. Obviously this is 357 and I can shoot my 38’s with mild to almost no recoil. Took one box to dial the sights in for me. Couldn’t be happier. This target was at about 30 feet and single action. Love my semiautomatics but this was the first time I’d shot a revolver.

Gun Illustration Technology Zombie Games

See less See more
#2 ·
I was a semiauto only guy for ages. Then I got an itch for a Detective Special. Now I seem to buy more wheelguns than semis! You've got a heck of a great example there; congratulations!

BTW, for zombies, shift your aim upward about 6". :D

#5 ·
Many years ago I picked up a used Stainless Model 66 with a 4" barrel for $250.00 I was hesitant because I though the price was pretty low. Glad I bought it. Great gun, always gets a heavy work out at the range.

#6 ·
I was reminded, in another thread dealing with One Handgun To Rule Them All, that I want/need to get a revolver in .357. I also remember that I am more accurate with a revolver than I am a semi automatic. Your target hits indicate that the same might be said about you, especially if that was your first time shooting one. There are those of us shooters who, for one reason or another, are inherently more accurate with one than the other.

#9 ·
Yessir, thats a great shooter you have there. A few years ago, I realized I had a gaping hole in my lineup, I didn't own a 357 magnum at all. I plugged that hole with the model 66, and a couple of years ago, supplemented it with another 7 shot 357 magnum, the model 617. Everybody needs a good 357 magnum revolver !

#11 ·
I too, agree that everyone needs a .357 Mag revolver 😎. The problem is that there are so many to choose from 🤔. The Taurus 66 (both the old 6 shot or new 7 shot) seems to have a large following among the revolver crowd. It's not unusual to read strong reviews of the Taurus 66 written by Ruger or S&W "brand fans"! For someone new to revolvers, the 66 is clearly a solid choice. Reliable, accurate, reasonable price point, strong pedigree and it still has the Taurus "Lifetime Warranty"! It's hard to go wrong 🙂. I've had mine (4" barrel/bead blasted SS) for about three years now and I'm completely satisfied. I think that the OP will be satisfied too 👍.
Flex

#16 ·
Well, I joined this forum excited to get the new 856 defender 3 “ that I’ve had a deposit on ever since it’s debut at shot show 2020. But with this dang virus still going strong I was concerned as to when it would actually be released. So I opted to change up and bought this model 66 the other day.

Im actually glad it worked out the way it did. Obviously this is 357 and I can shoot my 38’s with mild to almost no recoil. Took one box to dial the sights in for me. Couldn’t be happier. This target was at about 30 feet and single action. Love my semiautomatics but this was the first time I’d shot a revolver.

View attachment 458695
I also gave up on waiting and grabbed a different taurus. 856 hammerless 2+1, only one in the country.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.