"Not a range gun" - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: "Not a range gun"

Member #
    Liked
    937 times
    Not accurate at longer ranges? That can't be! I remember seeing a TV detective (probably Mannix of Rockford Files) shoot down a flying Cessna with one shot from a snubbie! Surely they wouldn't put that in a TV show if it wasn't true, would they?
    Czechbikr likes this.
    Scott USMC 1969-1973/BTPD 1975-1979

Member #
    Liked
    1720 times
    I had a guy give me guff for shooting my .45 Blackhawk at an 8'' gong on the 100 yd. range at Big Hollow. He'd brought a new black hunting rifle/scope combo and two boxes of ammo, with the intent of sighting it in today. The guy was shooting at 6'' paper pie plates.

After his second trip down range to check his targets(Maggie's Drawers. He was shooting into the dirt and to the left a foot.) and unhappy with his results, he barked at me to take my revolver over to the pistol range where it belongs. Hearing me smack the gong with lead from a 4-5/8'' barrel must've really grated on his nerves. I told him I didn't have a rifle that needed sighting in today... that I'm happy right where I'm at.

The next time he checked his targets, he turned on his heal, walked back to the firing line to pack his gear up and leave.

Another shooter went down range later on. He checked over the rifleman's remaining targets, plucked one off the board and brought it over to me laughing.

"...and here I thought he was shooting into the dirt."

With snubbies, I also like them equipped with laser sights zeroed in at 50'.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Member #
    Liked
    500 times
    Had my new 605 (Rossi recall replacement gun) out to the range last week. As others have ably posted my snubbie came out of the box a terribly inaccurate thing, but the more boxes of ammo I feed it, the more it learns how to be accurate. So I reckon a gun IS trainable - lol

I share the view that a strictly 'range' gun would be one that is too large and heavy for ME to consider as a practical concealed carry handgun but is a dandy thing for plinking away at various paper zombies. Of course every gun I own has been TO the range as often as it can.
    Czechbikr likes this.
    Several firearms in 10 different calibers. Lee Classic 4-hole turret and Lee breech-lock single stage.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35076 times
    I have one firearm that I consider not a range gun. It’s just too small to comfortably shoot for any extended time. All the rest get a good workout ocassionally. My only snubby is a 2 1/4 inch Ruger SP101 in .357. I can shoot it accurately, and for a good period of time. Just like all my other firearms.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Whether it is for personal need (range) or fun, I agree, the requirements needed are still met.

Member #
    Liked
    2809 times
    If you can't take them to the range then are they just safe queens?
    jtg452 likes this.
    Hang together or Hang seperately

Member #
    Liked
    8285 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdog1 View Post
    If you can't take them to the range then are they just safe queens?
    If you don't shoot it regular, then how are you gonna trust your life to it?
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Every hand gun we choose to carry, requires you to practice if we are going to be proficient when called to action.

Should not matter the size. What is required is your comfort level in shooting those hand guns chosen for duty.

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    Exhibition shooter Bob Munden routinely shot distant targets with snubbies. On youtube you can find his video of shooting a balloon at 200 yards.
    Longest shot I've successfully made with a Colt Detective Special was 60 feet using +P commercial ammo.
    I have a S&W 650 22LR/22Mag with a 2"+ barrel and I love shooting it at the range, usually setting golf balls at ~45-feet (15 meters).
    You can use any gun for just about anything you want if you know its limitations AND YOURS, yours likely being the biggest variable.

Quote Originally Posted by 357Funtime View Post
    This is a response to a common sentiment that I saw in some of the recently resurrected 856 threads here, but it didn't start there. I see it in on just about every firearms forum whenever someone talks about a snub nosed revolver of any stripe, so this isn't pointed towards any member in particular, just a general internet idea.

"It's not a range gun"

"It's only for up close"

"It's not accurate past 21 feet"

I 100% disagree with all of those statements. What's more, you can see the thought process there. Of course it's not accurate for a shooter who chooses not to shoot it at the range. You mean a gun you don't practice with is going to be inaccurate and difficult to use? You don't say... is it you or the gun that isn't accurate past 21 feet? This is a bunch of Internet Hooey, plain and simple.

Yes, practice with it. If it's unpleasant, make some changes. Get a bigger grip on it to practice with. Get ammo that's softer shooting to start practicing with. It's not difficult to mitigate a certain amount of unnecessary recoil with a revolver. Start soft, train, work your way up from there. It takes very little to start. Get a snubby with a hammer and practice starting with SA shooting. Move up to DA once you've got a handle on it.

Unless you have a medical condition, you can get used to recoil. If you want to lift 300lbs, you don't start with 300lbs, do you? You start small and work your way up. Start with soft shooting ammo, master the recoil, move up, master the recoil.... this is much easier than many imagine. Your hands become stronger, your wrists become stronger, recoil becomes meaningless. You start staying on target more.

But the front sight is impossible to see! Paint it. I paint the front blade white on my black snubs, orange on my stainless ones. It makes a huge difference, especially with follow up shots. Again, this is an area where practice and use mitigates the issues.

Snubbies are accurate. Their shooters, not so much. It takes training and practice, and if you're not willing to put it in, you may consider a pistol more suitable for your needs. A common piece of advice for people who want a gun to put away "just in case" is to get a revolver. For some reason, people think that means to get a snub nose though. A snubby is really at the higher end of the skill set for revolver use. It takes a lot of training to use them accurately and correctly. A 3-4" bbl steel revolver? Yes, put that away in the sock drawer. At 33oz it's going to absorb a lot of recoil, as are the full size grips. That long barrel is going to make close range point shooting a snap. A 2" 14oz aluminum framed revolver with 2 fingered boot grips... not so much.

Just my thoughts here, not trying to tell anyone their business.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I agree, these ARE also range guns. But I believe that is true of any gun I carry.
    My 856Ul may be less pleasant, or less fun, to shoot than a 4" Steel revolver (although I am impatiently waiting for the Defender 3" to show up near me), but it IS a range gun. And its accuracy is better than me! This is a 4" square at 7 yards. Definitely beyond acceptable accuracy for me (flyer included!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    non satis scire

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links