• 1 Post By 357Funtime
  • 2 Post By Valjean
  • 1 Post By socrates007

Thread: Question re: Taurus and transfer bars

Member #
    Liked
    540 times

Question re: Taurus and transfer bars

Been considering a Raging Hunter in .357 for a few weeks.

I've done a lot of net surfing on Taurus since joining the forum here, and one thing that I recall from the past is reading about transfer bars breaking.

I'm going to continue to look into it - see if it I'm wrong, altogether, or maybe it is/was a tiny problem, or if it was a problem generally seen in a specific time frame that has been taken care of, etc..., but part of my 'research' is asking you ladies and gents your thoughts on this - if any.

I know Taurus revolvers have a well-earned good reputation. Just doing some due-diligence, same as I would for a car, etc...

I've heard about it, but am looking to find out if it compares poorly or favorably against issues that than any other part on any other gun have.

Thanks in advance!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8371 times
    March Shooting Times, great review on the Raging Hunter .357 6.75" barrel.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Valjean likes this.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    540 times
    Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    33002 times
    I don't recall any reports on this forum of transfer bars breaking, nor do I remember a review anywhere on the net where that was reported.

I'm not saying it's never happened, but I'd bet its so rare as to ignore the possibility, just like I would when buying any other manufacturer's transfer bar pistol.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    540 times
    There are a number of references to this, here and elsewhere, but they were a few years ago. Other than that to this point only isolated incidents. Internet is great. Looking also to hear some personal testimony, positive or negative.

Make no mistake, I feel things look favorable, this is really a last check prior to a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    I don't recall any reports on this forum of transfer bars breaking, nor do I remember a review anywhere on the net where that was reported.
    Last edited by Valjean; 02-08-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    I also haven't heard of a transfer bar problem. FWIW, the Raging Hunter was Handgun Hunter's 2019 Hunting Handgun of the Year. So if there was an issue with transfer bars breaking, maybe it was years back?
    Valjean likes this.
    PT22, 85 Poly, 865, 605, M44.... what's next?!

Member #
    Liked
    540 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 357Funtime View Post
    I also haven't heard of a transfer bar problem. FWIW, the Raging Hunter was Handgun Hunter's 2019 Hunting Handgun of the Year. So if there was an issue with transfer bars breaking, maybe it was years back?
    Most of what I found was in the 2012-2014 time frame. Never heard a mention of any sort of resolution, just all of the sudden the mentions dropped. I've found 2 YT videos dealing with Taurus revolver broken transfer bars, but finding only 2 vids in all of YT on the issue is much likely more of a positive endorsement!
    Last edited by Valjean; 02-09-2020 at 09:02 AM.
    GhostHorse and 357Funtime like this.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Valjean View Post
    Most of what I found was in the 2012-2014 time frame. Never heard a mention of any sort of resolution, just all of the sudden the mentions dropped. I've found 2 YT videos dealing with Taurus revolver broken transfer bars, but finding only 2 vids in all of YT on the issue is much likely more of a positive endorsement!
    A gunsmith at one of my local shooting ranges told me that this issue was with certain Taurus model rim-fire revolvers. He didn't say which exact model(s), but he did tell me it was fairly common with their rental guns for the range on certain rim-fire models a few years back.
    Valjean likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post

I'm not saying it's never happened, but I'd bet its so rare as to ignore the possibility, just like I would when buying any other manufacturer's transfer bar pistol.
    Transfer bars breaking on Taurus revolvers might be the most common breakage on them -according to my research.
    With that said; I'm loving my first Taurus revolver (model 65) so far, and if the transfer bar breaks after a couple of thousands rounds, it's easy enough to replace.

Sponsored Links