3" 692 - Is It Practical For CC?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 3" 692 - Is It Practical For CC?

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

3" 692 - Is It Practical For CC?

If there are any 3" 692 owners here - do you carry it concealed or is that more like, "Well, you CAN but it's a chore?"

Also I'd be grateful to hear any other remarks, for better or for worse, on what you think of the gun in any other respect.

Thanks.
    777Driver and taurustoter like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3230 times
    Yes, and I really like mine. The Taurus moon clips, not so much other than TK Custom's 692 and Speedbezs 986 moon clips. I don't like the grips, and installed a Hogue 73000 grip.

Maloy

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maloy View Post
    Yes, and I really like mine. The Taurus moon clips, not so much other than TK Custom's 692 and Speedbezs 986 moon clips. I don't like the grips, and installed a Hogue 73000 grip.

Maloy

Thanks. I am very interested in a 9mm revolver and this one also shoots .357/.38 which I have a bunch of. I do not carry yet, but thought I would ask opinions on that since it would be a consideration. It has a big advantage over the 9mm SP101 because of the 7 shots, and the moon clips are a big reason why I want a 9mm revolver, for fast reload. I own a semi-auto, but still have a mental block about trusting them as much as revolvers, especially for carry.

I guess I'm "preaching to the choir" but all roads point to this one as far as 9mm revolvers go?
    JStacy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Yes. It is my carry gun. I bought an inside the waistband holster and it works great for me.
    Name:  20200208_162010.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  3.77 MB

Member #
    Liked
    3230 times
    I've used mine at a few indoor shoots with the moon clips. Moon clips are faster than a speed loader. If you plan on carrying a couple of reloads, use the TK Custom moon clips for the 692. They are better made and do not lose rounds in the pocket, or pouch. On top of that, they're stainless, but a little pricey. However, I would trust my life with them.

I've been using Speed Beez and Ranch products for the S&W 986 with good results in my stainless 6.5" and 3". Both have done well at shoots with these moon clips.

Maloy

Member #
    Liked
    2412 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsCominToBreakfast View Post
    Thanks. I am very interested in a 9mm revolver and this one also shoots .357/.38 which I have a bunch of. I do not carry yet, but thought I would ask opinions on that since it would be a consideration. It has a big advantage over the 9mm SP101 because of the 7 shots, and the moon clips are a big reason why I want a 9mm revolver, for fast reload. I own a semi-auto, but still have a mental block about trusting them as much as revolvers, especially for carry.

I guess I'm "preaching to the choir" but all roads point to this one as far as 9mm revolvers go?
    It is very easy to carry, all day long, in a JR Roscoe holster, even the 6.5"

Member #
    Liked
    3702 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsCominToBreakfast View Post
    If there are any 3" 692 owners here - do you carry it concealed or is that more like, "Well, you CAN but it's a chore?"

Also I'd be grateful to hear any other remarks, for better or for worse, on what you think of the gun in any other respect.

Thanks.
    I feel as though the 3" barreled revolvers are the best of both worlds...JMHO.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    33547 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taurustoter View Post
    I feel as though the 3" barreled revolvers are the best of both worlds...JMHO.
    That's a widely held opinion. In fact, some say a 3" .357 is the most versatile handgun around, since it's short enough to conceal but gives better velocity and practical accuracy than most snubs because of the extra inch of barrel.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    2412 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    That's a widely held opinion. In fact, some say a 3" .357 is the most versatile handgun around, since it's short enough to conceal but gives better velocity and practical accuracy than most snubs because of the extra inch of barrel.
    Ya, I prefer the 3" in .327fed Carry one of several models every day.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post

I just wish the 692 wasn't ported. It doesn't need it (IMO) and it does cut down the fps a bit. From limited chrono tests on the 3" 692, compared to the same rounds in other 3" and 2" barrels, it performs about like a 2.5". Better than the 2" but short of a non-ported 3". That's a very rough estimate, but I feel all the porting does is hamper the velocity while not helping much with recoil because at 35oz. it shouldn't really HAVE a recoil problem, especially considering you might not even WANT to fire full-load .357's out of the gun? As in my case, I am MAINLY interested in it for the 9mm capability (though the versatility is attractive also because I have a lot of .357/.38 HP's)

Taurus - why not also offer it in a non-ported version?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links