• 1 Post By crossfire
  • 1 Post By Troll
  • 1 Post By Memiram

Thread: What are the actual Specs?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

What are the actual Specs?

I am looking to purchase a 357 mag with a 6” or 6.5” barrel. When I look at the Taurus web site the 66, 608 and 692 spec. listed do not make sense. The 608 and 692 both have 6.5” barrels and are listed as being 11.67 and 11.64” overall length while the model 66 with a 6” barrel is listed as being 12.25” overall in length. Also, the 692 and 66 are listed as medium-size frames and the 608 is listed as a large-frame gun. No one around here carries any of these models and since they have to be ordered I cannot compare them. My hope is that those of you that own these models will respond with the correct overall lengths. thanks

Member #
    Liked
    33041 times
    The frame sizes make sense; it takes a bit bigger frame to hold an 8-round cylinder.

You're in a pretty darn big metropolitan area. You really can't find a store that has any of these in stock?
    wwworth likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I realize the frames make sense, but the large frame with a 6.5" barrel is shorter overall than the medium frame with a 6" barrel?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3155 times
    It has to do with the grip section of the frame. The 66 has a full grip frame, where the 692 has a post for the grip to go over. In a sense, the grip is smaller on the Tracker models. Hogue grips tend to give you more to hold onto, so I tend to replace my revolver grips except for my Raging Bull as it works for me.

Maloy
    wwworth likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    The M608 is ever so slightly larger than the S&W N-frame. When I say ever so slightly, the cylinder is longer and larger in diameter and the top strap a tiny bit thicker. It isn't as big as the Redhawk or large-frame Dan Wesson though.
    Last edited by crossfire; 02-06-2020 at 03:51 PM.
    wwworth likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    546 times
    Maybe this will help. My 1911 and my 66B6 sort of side by side:
    wwworth likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I have called 14 firearms stores and only one even carried a 4" Tracker in 357 mag.

Member #
    Liked
    380 times
    You aren't likely to find the big guns, like the 608 at very many places. I've seen like one or maybe two, ever in a gun case. 66's? Sure? Old used 8X models for sure, along with semiautos galore.
    And then there are oddballs like my 658, which is a 3" non ported 608 with fixed sights. Never saw one in person until I bought it on GB.
    wwworth likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Could you possibly measure your model 66 and tell me how long it is total? I think you will find it to be right at 11.6 inches, but Taurus lists it as 12.25 inches. thanks

Sponsored Links