Curiouser and curiouser..!!
Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By ManxTom
  • 1 Post By glenwolde
  • 4 Post By TrucksNCoffee
  • 1 Post By glenwolde

Thread: Curiouser and curiouser..!!

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    2185 times

Curiouser and curiouser..!!

I have posted on the forum regarding proof marks, or the lack of them, on my 669. Up to yesterday the only clear markings were the maker's name, logo, country of origin and, stamped on the inside of the crane arm, the number 1000. Now I have found what is certainly a German Federal Nitrocellulose proofed proof mark on the inside of the frame just behind where the ejector rod sits. I don't know how I missed it earlier, but it's there and nice and clear. And alongside that is the marking for the Ulm proof house. But I haven't yet worked out what the letters indicate..

In GB EVERYTHING goes for proofing.. if you shorten a barrel it has to be reproofed if you want to sell it on at some point, if you have a barrel threaded it has to be reproofed..!! Nice little earner for the proof house of course (of which we have two, London and Birmingham). And it will cost you around $100 plus shipping charges.

Here's a photo of what I found..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    23533 times
    How old is this gun?
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    8728 times
    You didn't overlook them, they weren't there when you looked.

It was the Gun Fairies!

They sneaked (snuck? let's go with sneaked) in late at night and put those proof marks on your gun.

You can always tell when they are around because the room smells like a mix of Bullseye and GI bore cleaner.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    23533 times
    After reading the regulations I found this:

"Unproved firearms may not be imported, unless they are personal imports for that person’s own personal use (but the exemption applies only whilst they remain his or her property).“Proofing” involves testing and certifying the barrel of the firearm, and may be done by an appropriate UK or overseas body."

Reading elsewhere I find that importing from the EU is easier than from non-EU countries, and if I'm reading it right it's possible to import one yourself. It just has to go directly to the Island to avoid the British Proof Houses. It could have come in with someone moving there?

"However, personal imports, forming part of a private individual’s personal effects during a transfer of residence to the Island may be imported on production of a valid firearms certificate or licence in lieu of an import licence. A visitor’s or temporary permit would not be acceptable. Island residents returning from a competition or holiday may also produce a valid firearms certificate or licence in lieu of an import licence."

Of course you are more familiar with this stuff than I am. But that's the way it reads to me.

https://www.gov.im/media/80555/notic...t-9-may-17.pdf
    ManxTom likes this.
    Definition of clip

2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    2185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    After reading the regulations I found this:

"Unproved firearms may not be imported, unless they are personal imports for that person’s own personal use (but the exemption applies only whilst they remain his or her property).“Proofing” involves testing and certifying the barrel of the firearm, and may be done by an appropriate UK or overseas body."

Reading elsewhere I find that importing from the EU is easier than from non-EU countries, and if I'm reading it right it's possible to import one yourself. It just has to go directly to the Island to avoid the British Proof Houses. It could have come in with someone moving there?

"However, personal imports, forming part of a private individual’s personal effects during a transfer of residence to the Island may be imported on production of a valid firearms certificate or licence in lieu of an import licence. A visitor’s or temporary permit would not be acceptable. Island residents returning from a competition or holiday may also produce a valid firearms certificate or licence in lieu of an import licence."

Of course you are more familiar with this stuff than I am. But that's the way it reads to me.

https://www.gov.im/media/80555/notic...t-9-may-17.pdf
    Well I certainly am not going to ask questions I don't really want the answers to. I bought this off a reputable, licenced gun dealer. As far as I'm concerned I have all the necessary legal requirements to own and shoot it. If, at some stage, questions are asked then I shall refer whomever is asking the questions back to the dealer I bought it off. Curiosity is, most certainly, not going to kill this 'cat'. I shall draw a line under this 'puzzle' and continue to enjoy the 669 for what it is, a neat, tidy, accurate revolver which brings me bucket loads of pleasure. Many thanks for your input Glenwolde, much appreciated.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22302 times
    As I read this thread, the chorus,"...and I'm glad to be an American, where at least I know I'm free..." started running through my mind.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

Member #
    Liked
    2185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    How old is this gun?
    No idea of the date of manufacture. I'd hazard a guess and say around 1988. I have no idea what those letters 'ID' signify. The mark, on the right, is a half set of antlers and is the proof mark for the Ulm proof house. No response from Taurus in Brazil to my six emails, even though I had one email carefully translated into Portuguese..!!

The gun shoots, it's as tight as a drum. When the cylinder is closed there is, literally, no fore and aft play at all, when the cylinder is open the fore and aft play is only around 2mm and when the cylinder is closed I can't feel any lateral movement whatsoever.. the grips need a clean up and there are a couple of tiny scratched on the underside of the underlug. All that aside it's a very tidy gun. I'm well happy.

Member #
    Liked
    23533 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxTom View Post
    Well I certainly am not going to ask questions I don't really want the answers to. I bought this off a reputable, licenced gun dealer. As far as I'm concerned I have all the necessary legal requirements to own and shoot it. If, at some stage, questions are asked then I shall refer whomever is asking the questions back to the dealer I bought it off. Curiosity is, most certainly, not going to kill this 'cat'. I shall draw a line under this 'puzzle' and continue to enjoy the 669 for what it is, a neat, tidy, accurate revolver which brings me bucket loads of pleasure. Many thanks for your input Glenwolde, much appreciated.
    Yeah in your neck of the woods I think I'd keep my mouth shut. Tight. Like a vise. But I think it's legal from what I can read.
    ManxTom likes this.
    Definition of clip

Sponsored Links