22lr revolver options - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: 22lr revolver options

Member #
    Liked
    715 times
    I sure wish the 922 didn't weigh in at 40 oz. I'd like to see something DA with 3 or 4" barrel, twin cylinders and a light frame, more like the Ruger LCR. I sure don't need 40 oz to soak up the recoil of a 22 mag or drag my pants down while hiking to fishing spots

Member #
    Liked
    33573 times
    Quote Originally Posted by terryb View Post
    While were are talking .22 revolvers, how fast does velocity drop off with barrel length with .22 and 22WRM?
    Fascinating question. Most of the answers can be found here. BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Calibers/Cartridges
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    715 times
    looking at this data, i'd say you need 4" to 5" in barrel length for both .22 and 22mag or you are really giving up a lot of velocity. After 10" or 11" you have gotten most of the velocity and gains are much smaller per inch.
    BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .22 Results

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    I contacted a large LGS in San Antonio about the new Taurus revolver. They said there was no indication they are shipping yet. Wonder if there are any on display at SHOT this year. I won't be there but perhaps one of writers will get to try out one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Any change in reliability?
    The Wolff reduced spring pack for the hammer spring had 3 springs included in it. IIRC, there was a 10, 11 and 12 pound spring. I believe the factory installed a 14 pound spring. I first installed the 10 pound spring and had occasional light strikes with ignition failures. I went up one step and then replaced the 10 pound for the 11 pound spring. This one was the sweet spot, as there have been no further light strikes or ignition failures.

Regarding the trigger spring, the Wolff replacement reduced the trigger break from about 6 + pounds to about 3.5 pounds. However, I wanted a target trigger with a lighter break. Springs are cheap, so I experimented. I cut 3 coils off of that spring. And there she was - 2.75 pound trigger break. What a difference! This Tracker 970 feels like a completely different revolver. It feels and breaks like a tuned Smith. And since I have tuned Smiths, the comparison is ripe for me to make.

The only other mod I performed to the Tracker was to replace the cheesy, small factory grips with some target sized wooden grips.

This thing is now a contender...

Pic:

Bayou52
    Last edited by Bayou52; 01-22-2020 at 04:37 PM.
    Bayou52
    NRA Lifetime Member
    "Stay Calm and Reload"

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    My primary LGS gir in a used Charter Arms Pathfinder snubnose 22lr in stainless. Feels pretty solid. Occasionally I get decent deals there, but not often. But $350 seems high for a used one. Heck the new 942 has an msrp of about that. Thinking msrp on the Charter is about $329, but could be mistaken.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou52 View Post
    The Wolff reduced spring pack for the hammer spring had 3 springs included in it. IIRC, there was a 10, 11 and 12 pound spring. I believe the factory installed a 14 pound spring. I first installed the 10 pound spring and had occasional light strikes with ignition failures. I went up one step and then replaced the 10 pound for the 11 pound spring. This one was the sweet spot, as there have been no further light strikes or ignition failures.

Regarding the trigger spring, the Wolff replacement reduced the trigger break from about 6 + pounds to about 3.5 pounds. However, I wanted a target trigger with a lighter break. Springs are cheap, so I experimented. I cut 3 coils off of that spring. And there she was - 2.75 pound trigger break. What a difference! This Tracker 970 feels like a completely different revolver. It feels and breaks like a tuned Smith. And since I have tuned Smiths, the comparison is ripe for me to make.

The only other mod I performed to the Tracker was to replace the cheesy, small factory grips with some target sized wooden grips.

This thing is now a contender...

Pic:

Bayou52
    The 992 is an incredible firearm. Cleaning-up some of the internals provided a satin smooth D/A, and about 3.5 lbs S/A.

And yeah... I'm not sure about the factory rubber grips. My hands needed a little more real estate to hold this muzzle-heavy beast.
    However, it out-shoots both our 6" 617, and our Colt 6" Diamondback in terms of accuracy with essentially stock internals.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    loudviking and Bayou52 like this.
    Five rounds = 1 Hole

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    ^^^^ Sweet!

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Lifetime Member
    "Stay Calm and Reload"

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    I just saw that the new Taurus model 942 revolvers with be available in both 2" and 3" barrels, both .22LR and .22 magnum (WMR), and both full steel weight and also ultra-light (UL) weights versions. This came from here - SHOT show news:
    Return of the Taurus 942

Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by socrates007 View Post
    I just saw that the new Taurus model 942 revolvers with be available in both 2" and 3" barrels, both .22LR and .22 magnum (WMR), and both full steel weight and also ultra-light (UL) weights versions. This came from here - SHOT show news:
    Return of the Taurus 942
    Looks like you can drift the rear sight on those. Excellent, and to me an essential feature on a 22. I want to be able to harvest a frog or a squirrel for the pot.
    Last edited by sknhgy; 01-26-2020 at 08:14 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Sponsored Links