With the Lack of Discussion on the Taurus 692, What Happened?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: With the Lack of Discussion on the Taurus 692, What Happened?

Member #
    Liked
    916 times

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/692/

There is near zero discussion on the 692 in this forum or really anywhere else. It is an innovative design but interest and probably sales may not be happening.

is this another Taurus solution looking for a problem?

Otherwise it seems to be a good revolver.

i mentioned it on a S&W forum and it created quite a stir.

Ruger has done this but typically dropped dual cylinder revolvers pretty quickly after a year or two.
    silverstring likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    312 times

Any design that has multiple uses usually perform at a mediocre level, AT BEST.

The 357 Magnum, 38 +P and 9 mm are similar in caliber, though.

I was very resistant to try an auto caliber In a revolver. After 28 years, I acquired a Taurus 905 5 round 9 mm. I really enjoy shooting it.

I have many 357 Magnum revolvers. I have only one 9 mm revolver and one 10 mm revolver, respectively.

It’s just a tiny niche that I personally have no desire to try.

7 round capacity sounds nice, though.

The revolver doesn’t look bad, and I’m sure the trigger is nice. But, a 9 mm and 357 Magnum conversion is not my thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Muzzleblast_MD (Instagram)
    Quade likes this.
    Made for the very serious business of self-preservation - the 605 is built to the Taurus Zero Tolerance standard - in design, fabrication, fit and performance.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12688 times
    Lack of distribution and stocking, add to that the price is still a bit high. I am mildly interested in the 3" and if prices get below $500 it will be on my list.
    Quade and glenwolde like this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8620 times
    Sorry, I'm just not interested in a semi-automatic round in a revolver.
    Give me a revolver chambered for .38 Special or .357 Magnum, and a semi automatic chambered for 9mm.
    Don't put semi-auto rounds in revolvers and revolver rounds in semi-autos, and I'll be a happy camper.
    Divebum and Whalerman like this.
    Electing Joe Biden as President will be similar to going bear hunting at night with just a pair of chop sticks and a lit candle. You know it is a bad idea from the outset, you can not defend yourself, you are ill prepared for what can and maybe will happen, and you question why you even thought it would be a good idea in the first place.

Member #
    Liked
    2808 times
    421 in black, 450 stainless at Buds right now, free shipping to your FFL.
    CDR_Glock, BigBlue and glenwolde like this.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I'm also not all that interested in 9mm in a revolver. I don't seem much of a point to it beyond novelty, and I don't like having to use clips for it.
    Desperado and Whalerman like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2061 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Renaldow View Post
    I'm also not all that interested in 9mm in a revolver. I don't seem much of a point to it beyond novelty, and I don't like having to use clips for it.
    If they could do it like Charter Arms where you don't need clips for 9mm and still make it chamber the 357 & 38 rounds I'd be very interested.
    Why? Versatility. Cheap readily available 9mm plinking ammo for practice. What is not to like about a revolver that can shoot 38 short Colt, 38 long Colt, 38 special, 357 magnum, and 9mm?
    GhostHorse, Renaldow and dogchild like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3398 times
    I currently have two. My main drive is ammo availability in the event I need to purchase ammo. Also I do shoot some local matches and had my clock cleaned by moon clips versus speed loaders.

Currently I have a couple Blackhawks in .45 Colt/ACP and .357/9mm. A S&W 625-8 in .45 ACP, a Redhawk in .45 Colt/ACP. Ruger has done the combo guns for decades and continues to do combos. The S&W is competition grade gun. Also sort of off track is the 627-5 S&W that is .357/38 that can use moon clips instead of speed loaders.

Both my 692's are very accurate, and most of it was driven by speed of reloading. Also, from a prepper stand point, and I was one before they called it prepper in the 1980's, I was drawn to the Blackhawk .357/9mm. Mine was made in 1987, and only 2 years ago used the 9mm cylinder and was surprised by the 50 yard accuracy. So in the last two years I sort of when gung ho on the combo's and only have the one dedicated ACP S&W.

So Ruger still offers the Blackhawk combo's and the Redhawk in .45 Colt/ACP the last 3 to 4 years. I know to some of you it doesn't seem to make sense, but if you look at the possibilities, some of these combo's make good choices for a bug out bag for when all else fails. 9mm and .45 ACP are more ubiquitous these days than .357, .38 Special. and .45 Colt.

Last, to a lot of people having a revolver in .22LR and .22 WMR makes a lot of sense, well to me, it makes as much sense as having centerfire pistols with the same versatility. So I can add that my 992, Single Six, and little Heritage adds to the possibilities as well. On a side note, having a Single Six and a Heritage, I have no desire for a Wrangler added to the collection. I got both cylinders on a Heritage for a lot less than a Wrangler.

So I like options. I'm the same way with .22 conversions for my 9mm and .45 ACP autos. In addition, I've found practice with the TX22 does match well with my P-10C, P320C's and to a lesser extent to my G19. Again, options!

Last, the Taurus concept for the 992 and 692 are good ideas. However, Taurus moon clips for the 692 suck. It's a good thing that TK makes a direct fit and I found some 986 moon clips that work very well.

Maloy

Member #
    Liked
    503 times
    I also like options and that is what drew me to the 692. I've been considering .357 and 9mm revolvers so the 692 was perfect. Took the 692 to the range today and it was very accurate. I also have .22lr conversions for my PT92 and Glock 26.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    398 times
    I shot one yesterday. Trigger is a bit stiff and then breaks suddenly. The triggers on the 605 and 856 are much better. It has a good feel to the hand with Hogue grips instead of the original grips, but it is a chunk and would be a tad hard to conceal carry. Overall the fit and finish looks cheap and clunky. The gun could use some streamlining. It's just my opinion, but going back to six rounds and fluting the cylinder would improve the balance for point and shoot.
    JStacy likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links