Old 66
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Old 66

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

Old 66

Hey new gent here, but am old. Hello all!

I’ve owned this Taurus 66 Satin Pinned Barrel 357 5 number serial 452XX since 79/80 if memory serves. It was used and probably 95% or better when I first got it. It’s lived its entire life riding in Jeeps, ATV’s,Boats and on my hip hunting and being in the woods since I got it. Laid many hogs down.

I know it pre dates any info Taurus has. I recently sold my last old Jeep and got curious about it. Anyone care to date it with their opinion? Below is a photo. I have the original grips somewhere as well. It’s had a rough life, held up very well, shot in my guess well over 5k rounds, maybe even up in the 7-9k.

Still shoots as it always has, forcing cone perfect, tight lock up. Never a issue one.

So what y’all think? 1970’s or earlier?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ruck; 12-09-2019 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Spelling

Member #
    Liked
    1199 times
    Welcome from Iowa! You'll find lots of great people and good information in this cyber community.

good looking wheelie and neat history... Someone will come along that knows about it
    USAF 1976-79
    Deplorable 2016-Present

Member #
    Liked
    2021 times
    That looks like a 3" barrel, right? And with the partial lug. That IS an earlier model. All good.

So, congrats o having one of the bettter Tauruses. And welcome to the forum. Nice to have you with us.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Thanks, Oklahoma here.
    Last edited by Ruck; 12-09-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaShooter View Post
    Welcome from Iowa! You'll find lots of great people and good information in this cyber community.

good looking wheelie and neat history... Someone will come along that knows about it

Thanks! Okie here. Have hunted all over Iowa, nice state! Sheffield Iowa has my heart!

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash60601 View Post
    That looks like a 3" barrel, right? And with the partial lug. That IS an earlier model. All good.

So, congrats o having one of the bettter Tauruses. And welcome to the forum. Nice to have you with us.

Yes on the 3”. I just got curious the other day. I sold my old hunting Jeep, cleaned it out and brought the old Taurus in the house. I have a selection of old S&W’s dating back in the 59 and 60’s and the Taurus will hang with any of them, it sure as heck as been shot more so than any one of them. I cannot remember one single hiccup.

Member #
    Liked
    11822 times
    Certainly and old gem. It is in good condition, its too bad Taurus won't provide birthdates for their handguns anymore via their webpage. It is certainly older than 2000. But am not sure. Can you remove the grip and see if a serial is on the underside of the frame. Or maybe on the sideplate. A serial may help folks help out with the age. Thanks for sharing the neat back story.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    Certainly and old gem. It is in good condition, its too bad Taurus won't provide birthdates for their handguns anymore via their webpage. It is certainly older than 2000. But am not sure. Can you remove the grip and see if a serial is on the underside of the frame. Or maybe on the sideplate. A serial may help folks help out with the age. Thanks for sharing the neat back story.

Serial# 452XX

Member #
    Liked
    337 times
    I'm no expert, but I thought model 66 all had adjustable sights. That looks a lot like my model 65 built in 1992.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sekol, Bruntson and CJS3 like this.
    Taurus M65
    S&W 642
    FNH FNX-9
    Kahr CM9
    Canik/TriStar S120
    Browning Buck Mark Plus
    Savage/Stevens M58 20ga.
    Remington Speedmaster .22

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 68Firebird View Post
    I'm no expert, but I thought model 66 all had adjustable sights. That looks a lot like my model 65 built in 1992.

Notice yours is not pinned barrel and missing cylinder stop right below at 5 o’clock of the cylinder. Taurus told me it is Pre 1980 and one employee guessed the 5 digit serial number 452XX dates it early 70’s maybe older. It is stamped 66. It sure ain’t 90’s as I bought it used in 79/80 and I’m no time traveler! LOL!
    bobbojama likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links