Ruger SP101 vs Taurus 617 vs S&W 686 snubnose in 357 Magnum - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Ruger SP101 vs Taurus 617 vs S&W 686 snubnose in 357 Magnum

Member #
    Liked
    9133 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou52 View Post
    "The Ruger medium frame is the GP100, and if you're planning the gun having a steady diet of 357, I'd pick the GP100 over the 617 or 686. All 3 are good guns, but the G100 is a "built like a tank""

I fully concur that the GP100 is an outstanding 357 platform that will handle a steady diet of 357 mags, unlike some revolvers in the Smith line or even other revolvers in the Ruger line.

The real "tank" in the Ruger line of 357s, however, is the Redhawk. Pick one up, open and close that massive cylinder, and you'll see what I mean.

Here's a pic of my 6 shot vintage 1984 Redhawk. I treat mine very kindly and properly, but I've read where the 357 Redhawk platform has been used by firms to test experimental 357 "dynamite charges":

Also, for comparison, here's a pic of the Redhawk cylinder side-by-side to the open cylinder of a 1979 vintage Ruger Security Six, which is another, but discontinued, outstanding Ruger 357 revolver:

Nice looking shooters. And I concur with your post. I have a GP100 with a 5" barrel. I think it would be hard to hurt that gun short of a nuke.
    Bayou52 likes this.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.Ē Albert Einstein

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31724 times
    The SP101 is a beast of a revolver, but a might on the heavy side as 5 shot snubbies go. I carry a 605 Poly with full house 140 grain magnum loads and it is accurate and easy to shoot. I prefer the SP101 for 180 grain magnum hunting loads, but I never hunted with it, of course. But, with all the hogs on the road down here now days, it'd be good to load with in case I got a shot driving in to the house which I have before. I do have a 3" M66 Taurus that shoots a little better, though, and handles those heavy loads just fine. It's about the same weight on the belt, so I prefer just to move up to a medium frame like the 66 rather than carry an SP101. The SP101 is a well made, accurate revolver, though.
    Bayou52 likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    287 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvrevos View Post
    I'm guessing the hand and other body parts would go into a state of failure before the guns with that many rounds of hot .357. OUCH! UNCLE!
    Iíll do anywhere from 50 to 200 rounds of 357 Magnum 125 or 158 gr.

It isnít bad.

Then again, I can do 25-30 rounds of 500 S&W

Or a box of Buffalo Bore 360 grain cast lead bullets or 50 rounds of 44 Magnum 240 gr.

Mind you, Iíve worked on that for a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Muzzleblast_MD (Instagram)
    Made for the very serious business of self-preservation - the 605 is built to the Taurus Zero Tolerance standard - in design, fabrication, fit and performance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    Iíll do anywhere from 50 to 200 rounds of 357 Magnum 125 or 158 gr.

It isnít bad.

Then again, I can do 25-30 rounds of 500 S&W

Or a box of Buffalo Bore 360 grain cast lead bullets or 50 rounds of 44 Magnum 240 gr.

Mind you, Iíve worked on that for a couple of years.
    When someone does their warmup with 25-30 rounds of 500 S&W...then drops back down to 50 rounds of 240 Gr. .44 magnum...I guess 50-200 rounds of .357 magnum doesn't feel all that bad.

I don't know because I've never done it. I'll let you know how it goes when I finally break down and buy the 500 S&W. (ooops, just remembered that I have to buy a new car about 5 years from now and need to start saving up)

My vote goes to you as the ULTIMATE ANIMAL on all gun forums...bar NONE!!
    CDR_Glock likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    287 times
    When someone does their warmup with 25-30 rounds of 500 S&W...then drops back down to 50 rounds of 240 Gr. .44 magnum...I guess 50-200 rounds of .357 magnum doesn't feel all that bad.

I don't know because I've never done it. I'll let you know how it goes when I finally break down and buy the 500 S&W. (ooops, just remembered that I have to buy a new car about 5 years from now and need to start saving up)

I get a thrill at shooting various loud, large bores. Handling them has truly helped my conventional defensive calibers. I have rifles but the challenge of shooting a handgun at my club is more fun (250/300 yards max).

I enjoy reloading and actually working to handle these. Iím not recoil aversive and donít flinch.

There are some guns that donít work for my hands, and actually hurt:
    Kel-Tec p3AT
    Ruger LCR 38 +P
    Kimber K6S

However I use Rubber grips, not wood. Iím more of function over looks/form.

I started using Gun wraps which are great for maintaining a handle on a revolver.

At the opposite end of the spectrum I enjoy shooting suppressed in my own backyard, too. Not much is written about the practicality of them.

Made for the very serious business of self-preservation - the 605 is built to the Taurus Zero Tolerance standard - in design, fabrication, fit and performance.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    31724 times

The more powerful the caliber, the bigger and heavier the revolver. There's a reason for that. If you're willing to tote around three plus pounds of revolver, hey, go for it! Certainly wouldn't be the best IWB.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post

At the opposite end of the spectrum I enjoy shooting suppressed in my own backyard, too. Not much is written about the practicality of them.
    Now this is very interesting. What gun(s) and caliber? How large is your total property? How close to your house are the neighbor houses? Does your county or state have a distance requirement for firing a gun relative to another house? If you were to take a guess (maybe you have a device to measure it) what would you say the decibel level is from a shot?

I only have about an acre. But the back of my house is pretty much all a heavily wooded area for about 250 yards and then there's a road with steady traffic.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    31724 times
    Of course, I figure if .50S&W catches on, won't be long for a titanium model....maybe a poly.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    287 times
    Now this is very interesting. What gun(s) and caliber? How large is your total property? How close to your house are the neighbor houses? Does your county or state have a distance requirement for firing a gun relative to another house? If you were to take a guess (maybe you have a device to measure it) what would you say the decibel level is from a shot?

I only have about an acre. But the back of my house is pretty much all a heavily wooded area for about 250 yards and then there's a road with steady traffic.
    Under 8 acres

22 LR
    300 AAC/Blackout
    45 ACP
    9 mm
    40 S&W

Requirement is 100 yards from the nearest road or house.

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Of course, I figure if .50S&W catches on, won't be long for a titanium model....maybe a poly.
    I think I'll hold out until there's a pocket model.
    NativeTexan likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links