Taurus Firearm Forum banner

44 tracker

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Qwiks draw 
#1 ·
Been licking around the idea of getting a 4inch tracker in 44mag, I have a Alaska fishing trip planed for next summer and don't have a bear capable pistol, thought about a 10mm glock but most of the guides don't recommend it . I like the sizs of the tracler over a larger frame ,the only drawback is I have very large hands xxxl sizs gloves when i can find them ,does anyone make large grips for the tracker, I've seen the houge grips but was hoping for a better selection of grips,don't really want to go to a larger frame gun if I don't have too.

#2 ·
No idea, but I'd like to see what the community says about how a Judge (.410 shotgun shell or .45LC) does against a bear in comparison to a .44 magnum? Does alternating rounds make a difference?

#3 ·
I don't like bears! They will not only kill you they will eat you! a .44 magnum would be the minimum cartridge I would carry a 454, or 460 is what I would carry.

Attachments

#9 ·
The 44 Tracker will kill a bear , but you must shoot them in a vital spot. There is a lot of mass to a bear and the wrong shot with a 12 gauge with a slug will not stop them immediately. Jeff Quinn -- Gun blast.com, did a nice write up on the 44 Tracker . Some of the "stout" factory loads presented heavy extraction issues but in a bear attack you will probably not be reloading after you empty the cylinder. People have killed a brown bear with a 45 auto but it was close to getting the wielder of the gun chewed. There are some excellent heavy 10 MM loads but none any better than the Keith load for the 44 Mag. I have owned two 44 mag Trackers and I shoot mid range loads but I am not in bear country either. Good luck on your choice , however I think the 44 mag is superior to the regular Judge load with either 410 slugs or 45Colt loads.

#10 ·
Thanks for the responses . I know the redhawk is a better gun for my needs but the cost is twice as much as the tracker ,I have a charter arms 44spl that I can get two fingers around the grip and can shoot it no problem, so I'm hoping the tracker with the houge grip will be enough to use all three fingers on the grip , I will mostly shoot 44spl level rounds for practice and hogs and save the full power heavey cast loads for bear defense, probaly can fish keni river for years and never see a bear that doesn't run from you but its good to be prepared for the worse.

#12 ·
I ordered the tracker should be at my ffl tomorrow ,so wensday next week I should have it in my big ol hands ,haven't booked a outfitter in Alaska yet ,anyone know of a good fishing guide service in the kehni area, I dpent 2 yrs there in 77-78 but have no idea who to contact for referrals

#14 ·
If you can find a LGS who'll rent you a few of these revolvers in .44 maggy and .454 and give them a try. The one that fits you and your needs is the way to go.

For example. I own a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 magnum and that is all I can handle personally. There are good bear loads in that caliber.

For others the .44 magnum and 454 Casull may be the way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.