Well I didn't know I didn't know that...!!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By ManxTom

Thread: Well I didn't know I didn't know that...!!

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    204 times

Well I didn't know I didn't know that...!!

I've been trying, without much success, to find details about my M669 and I thought I'd really come to the end of the trail so to speak. Then I get an email from a guy in Taurus USA asking me for the usual details, serial number, importer's stamp etc..

OK, serial number I can do. Importer's stamp..?? Can't find one, anywhere and believe me, I've looked. I used a jeweler's loup, took 40 odd macro photos, even prayed to the Great Gun Guru. Nothing, not a solitary mark that would suggest it's an importation stamp..!!

So I email back telling the guy all this, even sending a few photos and informing him I have lots more IF he wants them.. an hour later, a reply. "If your revolver has no importer's stamp then it doesn't exist.." he said. Then what the hell is this rather large lump of metal and wood sitting in front of me on my desk..!!

So this went on for a few more emails in a lighthearted manner, even though by this time I had steam emmiting from my ears.. Anyway, a thought came to me that the dealer I bought the 669 off remarked that it had come, to him, from Germany.. Ah ha..!!

So I emailed the guy at Taurus and told him. "Well that's it. That's why there's no stamp on it. They don't do them..!! It could be a grey import..".

So, in a nutshell, What I now now about my 669 is this...

It was made between 1988 and 1998. Except for the non-vented barrel rib it's identical to the Taurus 689. It has a target hammer and trigger added in Germany. It's route from Brazil to Europe appears to be somewhat shrouded in mystery. I'll never know more about it than I do right now..

I didn't know I didn't know all that...!!

Happy shooting chaps.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    786 times
    That's a neat story! Every gunsafe needs a conversation piece!
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. - C. Mallouhi (author)

Member #
    Liked
    32019 times
    If it came from Germany, does it have German proof marks?

You can seem them on this revolver, on the frame just above the crane, in front of the cylinder.

Name:  DSC09577.JPG
Views: 23
Size:  823.6 KB

They are required if a gun is going to be sold in Germany. If it was just moved through, though, then your revolver may not have them.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6513 times
    Interesting story, you do have a conversation piece there.

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    204 times
    Ghost Horse.. I re-checked the 669 and found this... what appears to be a proof mark, but nothing else, like there is on yours. And it's quite difficult to make out exactly what it is..
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    That’s enough proof for me! Cool story behind this revolver. It kind of looks like an N under the main mark.
    Last edited by RioGrande481; 11-09-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Sponsored Links