856 Pocket Holster Help - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 856 Pocket Holster Help

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvrevos View Post
    I also have a 642, 3 LCRs, 856UL, and 605. Can either of the holsters you have for the LCR and 642 be interchangeable with the other guns or are they specifically molded to the particular models chosen? When the gun and holster are in the pocket of various types of pants, does the bottom of the pocket noticeably bulge out and print width wise
    from the cut of the holster?

They look pretty neat but the cash register would make a lot of "cha-ching-cha-ching" sounds racking up for multiple holsters.
    The holsters are molded to the specific gun. I can tell which is which by looking at the imprint of the cylinder flutes, the J frame and LCR flutes are very different. You are right, sharing is more economical of course, but with molded holsters is generally not possible across models.

As far as pocket printing - I have not had any problems, but my experience is just that, my experience. I'm closer to 60 than I am to fifty, and tend to wear looser fitting pants (but curiously they seem to shrink as I get older . I would say that any pocket holster is going to print if some if your pants are painted on lol.

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Quote Originally Posted by unclenunzie View Post
    The holsters are molded to the specific gun. I can tell which is which by looking at the imprint of the cylinder flutes, the J frame and LCR flutes are very different. You are right, sharing is more economical of course, but with molded holsters is generally not possible across models.

As far as pocket printing - I have not had any problems, but my experience is just that, my experience. I'm closer to 60 than I am to fifty, and tend to wear looser fitting pants (but curiously they seem to shrink as I get older . I would say that any pocket holster is going to print if some if your pants are painted on lol.
    Thanks for a clearer picture. They look like a neat holster. I'm closer to 75 than I am 70 but still pound weights 4 days a week like I have my entire adult life and the weight hasn't changed in 50 years. I always buy looser fitting pants and take a gun and pocket holster with me to the dressing room when trying them on but they do shrink because my wife washes them in hot water and dries them in a blast furnace of a dryer. Can't get her to change.

The only kydex molded holsters I have are the Boraii and they actually are interchangeable on a few different guns. Not 100% exactly perfect but pretty darn close and very acceptable to use for carry and trigger protection. The Ruger LCR Boraii will be quite decent for the 642, 605 and 856. The Boraii 642 will work on a LCR, 605, and 856.
    Nothing else other than the dedicated Boraii K6s holster works for it and the K6s holster doesn't fit anything else.

Comparatively inexpensive with other kydex holsters.
    GhostHorse likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    568 times
    My 2 cents worth...late to the party but I agree with Aggie as to Kydex not being a good idea with a pocket holster...and so apparently do holster makers like Sticky Holsters. I have a Sticky holster for pocket or inside waistband for my 856 and while Sticky does have Kydex holster inserts for their holsters they do not offer this option for the the 856 pocket holster. I have several Sticky Holsters and several Sticky holsters with Kydex inserts (SW SD 40; SW M&P 9mmc and 40calc; SW M&P Shield 9mm and 40cal.) I like Sticky Holsters a lot and I really like my six shot 38 special 856! :-)

Last edited by vboy36; 11-21-2019 at 11:45 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vboy36 View Post
    My 2 cents worth...late to the party but I agree with Aggie as to Kydex not being a good idea with a pocket holster...and so apparently do holster makers like Sticky Holsters. I have a Sticky holster for pocket or inside waistband for my 856 and while Sticky does have Kydex holster inserts for their holsters they do not offer this option for the the 856 pocket holster. I have several Sticky Holsters and several Sticky holsters with Kydex inserts (SW SD 40; SW M&P 9mmc and 40calc; SW M&P Shield 9mm and 40cal.) I like Sticky Holsters a lot and I really like my six shot 38 special 856! :-)
    I'm glad you like that type of holster; I don't. I've owned several and absolutely hated all of them. I think I own or have owned every quilted holster posted here, in the thread I asked specifically about Kydex holsters. If you want to carry your firearm in a bulky $8 'one size fits most' holster, more power to you. I prefer a holster that's custom made for my firearm and has no added bulk to it.

I'm thinking the people who are so, "OMG Kydex is uncomfortable" either haven't ever tried a Kydex pocket holster or have tried a poor one. Or, just don't like them as they're usually preferred by more experienced users.

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Renaldow View Post

I'm thinking the people who are so, "OMG Kydex is uncomfortable" either haven't ever tried a Kydex pocket holster or have tried a poor one. Or, just don't like them as they're usually preferred by more experienced users.
    What are the standards and criteria for "more experienced users". I started pocket carrying in 1979 and prefer a soft holster. How many more years than 40 does it take for me to gain the "experienced" level? Every day when I leave the house to go somewhere there's one gun or another on me. Pants styles, pocket depth, pocket width, opening angle and material make a difference on what is comfortable and how any gun/holster combination prints. I also don't necessarily carry the same gun every day based on the pants. It might even be carried in the back pocket. Anyone experienced knows that.

Maybe we should start a thread titled, "Show all of your holsters". It might already exist but I haven't seen it.
    Last edited by Iluvrevos; 11-23-2019 at 05:43 AM.
    GhostHorse likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    I think more experience might be needed before I get it all down pat. Always searching...

Name:  IMG_2295.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  475.8 KB
    GhostHorse and MOONDAWG like this.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I got the Aholster Pocket Backbone holster in the mail 2 days ago. Love it, it's absolutely what I was looking for. I've already ordered one for my S&W 442.

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    I got the Aholster Pocket Backbone holster in the mail 2 days ago. Love it, it's absolutely what I was looking for. I've already ordered one for my S&W 442.
    Great! Now comes the most important part of a really good pocket holster along with comfort and printing. The speed and smoothness of the draw to be able to get into a position to fire the first shot without any hitches and glitches along the way.

Almost all the front pocket kydex holsters I've seen and own(ed) hold the gun much more firmly than other materials. The one kydex that I most like and own for a number of guns is the Boraii. But because of the tightness which it holds the gun, a considerable amount of practice is required to draw at the proper angle for the angled latch/hook to catch on the outside corner of the pocket to release the holster from the gun. Otherwise the entire holstered gun comes out together and you're screwed for a couple of additional precious seconds to pull the holster off with the other hand and then fire or be in a position to fire.

It's kind of a dual move. Up out of the pocket and then rearward to catch the latch/hook for release. It will and does work fine with firmer pants material like jeans. But when you go to pants with material such a Dockers or dressier slacks with a much finer material along with pockets angled toward the rear instead of straight up, it ain't gonna happen smoothly or at all with the gun and holster coming out together. The material of the pants is just to thin and flimsy and unable to catch the hook or latch without breaking down under the angle and force required.

Kydex holsters usually have either one or two hooks to catch the pocket for release. Don't get the hook just right and it's all out together or your hand slips of the grip with nothing and you have to do it again. Under pressure and life on the line, I'm not wanting to chance something like that regardless of the printing aspect. A fast clean draw has to be practiced and I do.

Not to say it can't also happen with soft pocket holsters. It does. They're the ones that go bye-bye for me on a couple of draw failures. Not because of hooks because they don't have them but because of the way they're shaped to hold inside the pocket, how tightly they hold the gun, and whether they do or don't have a sticky material to hold inside the pocket while the gun is being drawn. Different body types with how tight or loose pants fit along with a particular holster is a big influence. An IWB or OWB might be a better choice for access and speed.

Results may vary for everyone. But that is MY experience. Always open for the newest, latest, and greatest though. Can't take the money with me when I croak.
    Last edited by Iluvrevos; 12-08-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I've been carrying a revolver in my front right pocket for almost 35 years, privately and professionally. I think I'll manage.

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    I've been carrying a revolver in my front right pocket for almost 35 years, privately and professionally. I think I'll manage.
    I'm sure you will. There are a number of members here who haven't carried for your 35 years or my 40 years. It's not a bad idea to give a heads up about the different types and materials of pocket holsters regarding pros/cons/idiosyncrasies and what to expect in all areas of carrying them and ease/speed of draw with different styles of pants.

I'm not familiar with this specific holster. Maybe you can give a comprehensive review after about a month of carry duty. Also a quickie video showing the print or lack of it along with ease and speed of draw. I'm sure it would be well received and appreciated.
    Last edited by Iluvrevos; 12-09-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links