Taffin says the .357 Magnum Raging Hunter sets the standard - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Taffin says the .357 Magnum Raging Hunter sets the standard

Member #
    Liked
    22537 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I can tell you in my own case, my first Taurus revolver is a M85 .38 I bought in 1996 to carry concealed. It puts 5 shots into 3"at 25 yards which is decent and quite deadly. I've shot it so long, I have ultimate confidence in it. My second Taurus revolver was a used 4" nickel 66 in nearly as new condition, picked up at a gun show for 200 bucks. It puts 5 into a 25 yard target with 1" accuracy. THAT, my friends, is excellent with iron sights. That's as good as my 6.5" Blackhawk at that range, though the added sight radius of the Blackhawk makes it better at longer ranges. My third is a 3" 66 and it shoots 1.5" at 25 yards and I consider that fine accuracy for a self defense revolver. My 4th is a 605 poly which puts 5 shots into 3", similar to my 85, and was spot on out of the box. The only gripe I had with 'em was the 85 shot to the left out of the box. I eventually had a gunsmith dovetail a front sight into it which I can adjust windage and it's spot on, now, and the black sight is much easier to see in sunlight than the stainless one which is good.

So, these are the specifics on accuracy of Taurus revolvers in MY experience. They'll outshoot revolvers I've owned like a 4" M19 S&W, a 4" M10 S&W, and a Ruger Security Six. Heck, with .38s, my 2" Taurus guns outshoot that Security Six. It shot well with .357, but it was pathetic with .38s which is mostly what I shoot in my .357s for range work.
    I'm happy with anything target-configuration revolver that'll shoot under 2" at 25 yards. The Taurus Model 83 I have has oversized throats and does good to stay at 5" at 25 yards. Still a perfectly usable weapon for self defense at normal distances as that would equate to 2" at 10 yards. But not much fun as a range gun.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Gun-Tests Magazine also tested the Taurus new 608 and new 66 (Sometimes they test used), They rated both above the S&W also tested. Oct 2019 edition. No Link.
    crossfire likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I have a raging hunter 454 and it out shot my Ruger super red hawk so I sold the SRH. I also sold my Freedom arms 454 because the RH shot as good and was a much softer recoiling gun to shoot. A 250 grain XTP at 1750 blew a port hole in a hill country white tail deer. Fortunately by RH has an excellent trigger !!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have a 608 which I picked up from Sportsmans Warehouse Black Friday sale two years ago....bought two brushed chrome 6.5" at $299 each and sold one to a friend. It's by far my favorite revolver and is really an exceptional firearm. The only other handgun I own that comes close is a .45 Para Ordinance Expert.... Out of the box using factory loads my 608 drilled holes within 2" at 25yrds. I shoot both eyes open since I have monocular vision so in more capable hands it's probably more accurate. I immediately bought dyes for my Hornady Lock & Load and worked up a favorite reload recipe. Regardless of whether I load light or heavy it's still dead on. I've put about 3,000 rounds thru it and its still perfect. For those unfamiliar with the 608 it hosts 8 rounds and has a ported barrel. Eats 33% more ammo than the 6-shooters though... ;-) I've shot a few other revolvers but this is still my favorite. My Taurus Millennium Pro 9mm is a different story...I can hit the barn if I'm standing close enough to it... My Taurus 738 is a wildcat and a real snapper that's difficult to shoot more than a few rounds because of the small light frame and feels like a bee sting after a couple mags. :-) Name:  IMG_20151121_124450539_HDR (1).jpg
Views: 67
Size:  3.72 MB
    Last edited by mettleman; 10-16-2019 at 09:05 PM.
    crossfire and AZM66 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    284 times
    Name:  Taurus....G1219-Taurus-Spread.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  35.8 KB
    This brings me to the latest .357 Magnum being offered to handgunners – the Taurus Raging Hunter, a sixgun especially made for hunting.
    That is a heavy looking gun, and if it is meant for strictly hunting; then OK, it would work. I had a Dan Wesson .22 with a heavy 8 inch barrel, and it was clunky.
    So, I don't want anymore really heavy revolvers.
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 10-22-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    crossfire likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31454 times
    It's 54 ounces or something which isn't a big deal for a hunting handgun. My TC Contender is pretty chunky. But, they could have left off the ports on the barrel. Ain't like I can't handle the whopping recoil of the .357 magnum from a 54 ounce gun.
    Davidk0031 and crossfire like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    I have the Taurus 44 Magnum Raging Hunter. It is 6 or so inches. It’s recoil is minimal to me with standard ammunition. I got mine in a trade and I am very happy with it. I have S&W, Ruger and Taurus revolvers in 44 Magnum. Taurus stands toe to toe with S&W. Ruger has an unrefined trigger but I have grown accustomed to heavy double action triggers.

Today, I acquired a 605. The trigger is awesome and I can’t wait to field test it.

I also have a Taurus Tracker 22LR, 22 WMR/Magnum conversion. Super fun gun.

Lastly I have a 605 from the 1994 custom shop. Great revolver, too.

I have nothing but high regard for their revolvers. For the money, it’s a no brainer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram
    Muzzleblast_MD
    loudviking and BigBlue like this.
    Made for the very serious business of self-preservation - the 605 is built to the Taurus Zero Tolerance standard - in design, fabrication, fit and performance.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31454 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    I have the Taurus 44 Magnum Raging Hunter. It is 6 or so inches. It’s recoil is minimal to me with standard ammunition. I got mine in a trade and I am very happy with it. I have S&W, Ruger and Taurus revolvers in 44 Magnum. Taurus stands toe to toe with S&W. Ruger has an unrefined trigger but I have grown accustomed to heavy double action triggers.

Today, I acquired a 605. The trigger is awesome and I can’t wait to field test it.

I also have a Taurus Tracker 22LR, 22 WMR/Magnum conversion. Super fun gun.

Lastly I have a 605 from the 1994 custom shop. Great revolver, too.

I have nothing but high regard for their revolvers. For the money, it’s a no brainer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram
    Muzzleblast_MD

Frankly, I'd never fire a hunting handgun like the Raging Hunter in DA. SA is the way to hit game. DA is for quick self defense, point and shoot, or for special competition like PPC.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    608 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Well, I don't know about you, but I'm getting scary close.
    Close went by me 2 years ago come Nov. 19th and my hands are tender and I love the caliber of 38spl/357mag. I've either sold or traded every wheel gun I had in any other caliber.

Now I am totally 38spl/357mag in all my handguns.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by djh; 10-25-2019 at 10:06 PM.
    BigBlue and loudviking like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links