Wolf's Shooter's pack springs in an 856??
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By texastaurusguy
  • 1 Post By Garman
  • 1 Post By silverstring
  • 1 Post By Desperado
  • 1 Post By Qwiks draw

Thread: Wolf's Shooter's pack springs in an 856??

Member #
    Liked
    83 times

Wolf's Shooter's pack springs in an 856??

Has anyone changed out the springs in their 856 revolver? I just purchased the concealed hammer ss model and am thinking about changing the springs out with the Wolf spring set to lighten the trigger pull since it is full time double action.

https://www.gunsprings.com/TAURUS/SM...3/mID65/dID290

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31248 times
    From what I've heard a few times from people who did this to a CH revolver, you have to be careful. It's a balancing job to get it where you like the double action pull, versus how much 'smack' the hammer needs to do it's job.
    Garman and Desperado like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Thanks for the input texas! I just ordered some snap caps and will get some dry firing in to help smooth it up the old fashion way!
    texastaurusguy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11100 times
    The 856 is considered a Taurus small frame - so a kit for the 605 or 85 will work. I would try the 9 lb hammer spring. As far as the trigger spring, there is an issue. You will probably have to remove a few coils off the spring to get it to fit on the trigger spring center pin. I did both on one of my 605's and got it right. I just replaced the hammer spring on my other 605. The other big issue is removing the grip to access the side plate. Taurus uses an over sized pin in the stirrup(rear frame), driving it out to remove the grip is hard. I use a Starter punch which has a hard end, a bench block and a real hammer to get it started, then move to a regular punch to drive it out the rest of the way. Look for videos on how to do it.
    Last edited by silverstring; 09-12-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    texastaurusguy likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    7576 times
    Let me give you some free advice on spring kits and trigger jobs from decades of firearm owner ship:

1. I ALWAYS take a revolver apart to clean and oil EVERY part in the trigger assembly BEFORE I ever hit the range. For me, this does as much or more than ANY spring or trigger work has ever done to smooth out the action.

2. I also WILL NOT consider a spring kit or trigger job until I have put AT LEAST 500 rounds through the revolver in question. Usually by this time the trigger is smooth as glass, and nothing will improve it.

Again, this is only what I do to my firearms. Your opinion and experience may be different than mine.
    Garman likes this.
    Desperado's Big Bang Theory:
    The theory that a "big bang" from a handgun, along with a perpetrator receiving a gunshot wound, is the best way to end violent personal or property crimes.

Member #
    Liked
    857 times
    I recently bought a 856 and I don't think you need to do anything with the trigger. It feels good to me and I don't feel the need to do anything.

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I recently bought a 856 and I don't think you need to do anything with the trigger. It feels good to me and I don't feel the need to do anything.
    Do you have a CH model? The DA/SA model 856's seem to have a lighter/smoother trigger then the concealed hammer DA only model I have.

Member #
    Liked
    857 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Garman View Post
    Do you have a CH model? The DA/SA model 856's seem to have a lighter/smoother trigger then the concealed hammer DA only model I have.
    No. However, I do have a 605 that is DAO with a CH that shoots very much like my 856. Why would a DAO be any different than a DA/SA in the same gun?

Member #
    Liked
    8491 times
    The short and sweet version of this is yes you can use the Woolf springs. They say this themselves.
    TAURUS SMALL FRAME REVOLVERS

Includes Model(s): 73, 85/856, 605 (NOT RECOMMENDED FOR 94/941)
    Please Note: Due to changes in newer revolvers, Wolff trigger springs may require some modification.

Quick jump to a product:

• Shooters Pak
    • Hammer Springs
    • Trigger Return Springs

https://www.gunsprings.com/TAURUS/SMALL%20FRAME%20REVOLVER/cID3/mID65/dID290

Oh, yes. The other posters in this thread all have good advice.

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    No. However, I do have a 605 that is DAO with a CH that shoots very much like my 856. Why would a DAO be any different than a DA/SA in the same gun?
    I can't answer that. All I can tell you is that the CH model's trigger feels different to me. Obviously I knew that at the time of purchase and decided I still wanted to go with the CH model. Now I am exploring some trigger work options.

Sponsored Links