Well I actually bought the wrong ammo for my 856 today!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Garman
  • 1 Post By GhostHorse
  • 1 Post By Garman
  • 1 Post By RandyP
  • 1 Post By Qwiks draw
  • 2 Post By osbornk

Thread: Well I actually bought the wrong ammo for my 856 today!

Member #
    Liked
    91 times

Well I actually bought the wrong ammo for my 856 today!

So I stopped at a store to grab a 100 round box of 38's for my stainless 856CH revolver and didn't notice that I was buying +P's!! I know that the 856's can handled them but I definitely wasn't planning on shooting a ton of them at the range. I bought the Remington UMC rounds and these wont even be my carry round. I could shoot them thru my 357's, but man if I am getting the big dogs out, I would rather shoot the heavy 357 rounds!

Oh well, I guess I will be checking better next time!
    777Driver likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    32179 times
    This is why I bought a 3" Judge instead of a 2.5". I knew I'd accidentally buy the wrong thing sooner or later.

There are good .38 rounds that aren't +P. I use 158 grain hollowpoints. I believe Hornaday makes some standard pressure .38 as well.
    Garman likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Ya, they had plenty of the standard pressure rounds sitting on the shelf right next to the +P's that I picked up! I will definitely pay more attention next time for sure.
    Qwiks draw likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    491 times
    I typically shoot .38 Special in my .357 Mag snub nose and carry +P. No down side to shooting +P in a .357 and in fact usually I get better results and easier target recovery shot after shot.
    Garman likes this.
    Several firearms in 10 different calibers. Lee Classic 4-hole turret and Lee breech-lock single stage.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Member #
    Liked
    8745 times
    For practice I use standard pressure rounds for the most part. Some +P rounds are shot just to know where the carry load is going to impact. Sometimes and not all that often I buy .38 Special rounds at the LGS or other local store. Prices are usually, not always, high. A LGS can have sales on low priced practice ammo. Most of my ammo buying is from sources in this link. I am not going to claim all the stores in the link are up to date. This is an old link, but most of the data in it is valid.

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/f...ne-stores.html

Checking once a week or having the online businesses send you and e-mail or a specific sale or type of ammo helps out a bit. There are several search engines for ammo in the link. Those are all valid so you can compare prices and deals. The search engines cover a great majority of the online ammo stores. Yes, shipping has to be paid, but usually the deals are a bit better than buying at the local gun store.

I still do buy ammo at the local gun store and they will let one know when a sale on your particular caliber is being discounted.

You can save the +P ammo for now and go with a box, two, or three of ammo, and save the +P if you want to. A few rounds of +P ammo for practice to get used to it is a good thing.

It's easy to walk into the local gun store and have what happened to you take place. Can't say we all here have done that, but a majority of us will have to raise their hand to have done it.

That's a nice revolver you have.

Member #
    Liked
    903 times
    I bought the same ammo by accident for my 856 but it won't happen again as it was at Walmart and my store sold out of 38 before anything else. I've shot some through my 856 and some through my 605 but I don't think 100 is going to do any harm to the 856. I was on some forum and some fellow was complaining that he has 2 Taurus revolvers and they got loose after 10,000 rounds of +P was shot through them. I sent him a copy of the manual where it says to use +P but to use it in moderation.
    Qwiks draw and socrates007 like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links