Taurus Firearm Forum banner

What do you prefer in a small frame 38 sp revolver - 5 or 6 shots?

• Taurus M85 5 shot

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • Taurus M856 6 shot

Votes: 22 41.5%

What Do You Prefer - the Taurus M85 5 shot or the Taurus M856 6 shot Revolver?

12K views 59 replies 33 participants last post by  HEADKNOCKER 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey there folks! Inquiring minds at Taurus USA want to know what do we all prefer in small frame revolvers - the classic M85 5 shot or the nifty new M856 6 shot? Personally, we have two very nice M85's with 3 inch barrels that I hope to never get rid off because they are wonderful shooters; but they are older, as evidenced by the length of their barrels and I honestly don't know when the last time was that Taurus made an M85 with a 3" barrel (but I know it's been quite some time)! I would really like to get an M856; with an extra round to give me 6 shots, how can you not love that??? There are soooo many possibilities of frame colors! I am crushing on a pretty black and burnt orange M856!!!

There are LOTS more options to choose from, like distinguished and classic all black to bold and beautiful anodized azure... Unfortunately my picture Google-fu isn't working right now so I refer you to this page on the Taurus web sight with all the color combinations of the M856's!!

So what say you TA.net friends- what do you want in a small frame revolver - 5 or 6 shots? :) Take the poll and post it up!

See less See more
#33 ·
I have an M85 and an M856, both ULs. The 85 is the "stainless" silver; the 856 is black. I really like them both - keep the 856 as my car gun and the M85 rotated as my CCW with a Charter Undercover High Polish model. I put the stock wood grips from the Taurus site on the 85 - they're a little longer than the rubber boot grip, but give a great purchase on the weapon. I voted for the 85, mostly because of sentimental reasons - it was my first handgun purchase and it's smooth as silk.

#34 · (Edited)
Hey MP - great tip about changing the grips! Even us folks with smaller hands like a substantial grip to hold on to on a handgun! :)

Reactions: MississippiYankee
#35 ·
Voted the M85 5 shot.

Along similar lines, I bought a well used but nice 2 inch barreled 5 shot Rossi 351 from a family friend who was headed for an assisted living complex. I thought that should I ever decide to conceal carry a Revolver, the Rossi 351 would be easier to conceal than my 2.5 inch 6 shot Wells-Fargo Ruger Speed Six .38 Special, as the 5 shot Rossi Cylinder is a good bit thinner. I do wish the Rossi 351 had a 3 inch barrel, but I figure I can make do with it as it is.

Rossi 351 .38 Spl

Now, all that said, I'm not likely to give up my preferred 9mm Semi-Autos, anytime soon.

#36 ·
jwc - that Rossi is sweeeeet!! :)

Nope the 38 snubbies are not an either or situation at all - just another in the collection...

Reactions: jwc007
#37 · (Edited)
Sekol, it made a big difference to me. I liked the rubber grip well enough, but I prefer wood. I refinished them by stripping the lacquer finish they came with (too slick), and finished them with Danish oil then some Old English furniture polish. Posted a picture on page 190 of the
"show us your revolvers" thread...

By the way, I think you'd really like the way the Charter Undercover High Polish fits your hand. It's a pretty awesome little thang...

#40 · (Edited)
I voted 5-shot, because that's what I have trained with and shot for fifty years. I have an abundace of holsters, (IWB, OWB, ankle, and some other wierd stuff) for them.

However, a few years ago, I bought a stainless Rossi 3", 5-shot with square grip, for Mrs. Flash and I think that is almost as nice to carry as either the 2.5" M-85 (in lustrous, polished black) I sold to my son or my Charter Arms Undercover (from 1980) The square butt mkes a real difference in shooting, IMHO.

But still, all "J-frame, 5-shot".

If I feel the need to step it up a notch, I get out the round-butt, S&W Model 19 - -- 6 shots, 357 Mag. High polish, trigger done by Lou
Ciamillo, and a very visually appealing item.

Reactions: Sekol
#41 ·
Hey there Flash! I thought me and DH were the only ones that preferred square butt revolvers over round butt!;)

#42 ·
Mrs. Flash finds that the square butt makes a much more comfortable, controlled hold. It "Points right where it should. . . in her words. Her recoil intolerance is also better served, and I even load mid-range wad-cutters for her practice. Her carry loads are PURCHASED (Speer or Hornady - Soft, swaged pure lead) 158 gr Keith-type SWC over a modest charge of Bullseye or Titegroup, looking at a velocity of 800fps.

With a 3" bbl on a J-frame, It kind of squishes in among my beltline when I do carry it. Though if 38 is the carry of the day, I personally prefer my stainless Charter Arms Undercover. Back in 1980, I had Charter bob the hammer, and serrate the top of it, thus affording me both SA ad DA. but no hammer spur to poke me in the soft flesh (I was thinner, then, I swear it!). I have to make a new holster for it (my favorite was a suede IWB, that held the proper forward cant and kept the grip from printing, even under a tee-shirt) as my favorite Yorkshire terrier used it for a chew-toy one afternoon before he had learned all the house rules. The scent of burned powder and G-96 was, all his seventeen years, to him as was catnip to Mrs. flash's cats.

Reactions: Sekol and Czechbikr
#43 ·
Thanks flash! Sure did enjoy that post....and the things we overlook and forgive that our precious fur babies do!!!:):):)

Reactions: Flash60601
#45 ·
I'm a fan of the M94s, too! ;)

#46 ·
It's always been eithe 4"(Duty gun) or 2"(off duty) for me. Even now. Here are my 3 Taurus and my former off duty Detective' Special(2nd issue). The pre lock 94 I bought to practice with el cheapo .22 cal but mimmic a .38 as closely as possible. The 85 UL is my go to carry these days.

#47 · (Edited)
I struggle with the mobile version of TA on my tablet.... As I stated in my previous post, my preference is either 2" or 4". My 3 Taurus and my former off duty Detectives Special 2nd issue. The M85 is my go to carry. The M94 is pre lock. That's a Taurus M65 blem. Not shown are my SW M686 4"(of course) and my Rossi 85104...which, fortunately, dodged the recall.

Attachments

#49 ·
Does the inch difference from 3 to 4 inch make that much difference in carry? It can only add about an ounce of weight but more velocity snd sight radius. I like the four inch best . Your gain in fps is substantial from 3 to 4.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .357 Mag Results
I can't speak to that. But a fair question. I always go with my training. It has served me well. That's why I stick with what I do.

Reactions: SWHS and Sekol
#50 · (Edited)
I would say that the difference between a 3" and a 4" revolver for carry depends upon the carrier- if you are built like a minion ( for example), it could be a BIG issue!

#51 ·
I look at it this way. I carry a a Ruger SP-101 at times that has the 3" barrel. It's the right size for a carry piece, has a bit longer sighting plain than a 2" barrel snub revolver, and is a bit more user friendly for me. A Taurus 850 snub revolver is the second gun in that case. For me it's about shot placement more so than what the target is hit with, hopefully I will never have to find that out.

I do like and own a Taurus 65 in stainless steel with the 3" barrel. There is also a Taurus 66 and a 82 with four inch barrels.
The shorter 3" tube is quicker out of the holster and a bit easier to pack. I do not feel handicapped with the shorter tube at all. There are trade offs, but I can live with those.

The Ruger SP-101/ Taurus 850 combo work well and so does the Taurus 65/856 combo. It is realized that this is a personal decision and that others may well find other combos work better for them. Use what works best for you and your needs.

#52 ·
I want a 6 shot .357 mag in the same size as the M85. Oh wait that was not one of the choices. I can dream.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.