Seeking advice on the Taurus 856 and whether or not it's +P.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By texastaurusguy
  • 2 Post By MR_22

Thread: Seeking advice on the Taurus 856 and whether or not it's +P.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Seeking advice on the Taurus 856 and whether or not it's +P.

Hi. I'm planning on buying a Taurus 856(38 Special) in the future, but with that in mind I get mixed information from the dealers on gun Broker as to whether or not it's rated for +P. Some tell me it is, while others say it's not. I assume it depends on what year it's been made. Can you give me any details?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    30896 times
    https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/856/

The Taurus website shows their list of regular 856 guns and they all say they are +P rated. To my knowledge, the only 856 that isn't +P rated was the magnesium revolver they made a few years ago, and I believe they stopped making that one. But, any magnesium revolver would not be +P rated.
    Qwiks draw likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    8383 times
    Taurus USA site says go for it and TT said it all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    809 times
    I recently bought one and it is rated for +P. I paid $269 for mine at Rural King just before they lowered the price by $20 and Taurus put a $25 rebate on them. Even though I paid $45 more because of the timing of my purchase, I am still pleased with it.

Member #
    Liked
    978 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/856/The Taurus website shows their list of regular 856 guns and they all say they are +P rated. To my knowledge, the only 856 that isn't +P rated was the magnesium revolver they made a few years ago, and I believe they stopped making that one. But, any magnesium revolver would not be +P rated.
    I endorse this answer. If it's not magnesium, then you should be fine with +P. BTW, I LOVE my magnesium 856 because it's SO LIGHT and carries an extra round, but yeah, no +P. The magnesium revolver is easy to tell from the standard ones, tho, in that it's a dullish gray color and is marked "Hy-Lite" on the side and it also is says "DO NOT USE +P" on the barrel. See the photo of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I recently bought one and it is rated for +P. I paid $269 for mine at Rural King just before they lowered the price by $20 and Taurus put a $25 rebate on them. Even though I paid $45 more because of the timing of my purchase, I am still pleased with it.
    Nice answers. Thanks for the info. Yes, i've been asking around on gun broker and I get mixed answers from the dealers on whether or not they're +P. I assumed that the ones that weren't are the older versions, but I could stand corrected.

Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    This is copy/paste from some German gun forum, translated from german via Google translate:

"The designation +P and +P+ are pure US marketing. In EU there is no such thing and CIP knows only a permissible maximum gas pressure, with .38 Spacial 1500 bar. Any EU-approved ammo must be within this CIP limit.

It's a bit different in the USA. Roughly applies
    - without additional name = standard gas pressure, at .38 Spl 17000PSI / 1172 bar
    - with +P as name depending on caliber 5 to 10% above. In the case of the 38 Spl, that's 18500 psi / 1275 bar
    - If there is still +P+, again 5 to 10% above +P pressure

SAAMI also measures things differently.

Basically, for us in the EU, it can be said that +P and +P+ cartridges will make more use of the allowable gas pressure limit without exceeding the CIP limits."

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links